Passenger Vessel Services Act summary to date

cvanhorn

It certainly means that he is now totally divorced from NCL/A, and Star is 100% in charge to make it or break it for the next several months, at which time Apollo will decide whether or not to cut them loose.

I'm not sure that I agree with you on that. NCLA is still a part of NCL, they share marketing, reservations, website, etc. I think it is just helping to set everything up for Apollo's control of NCL and the future of NCLA.

Like SMeyer said.. Veitch is now no longer an "employee" of Star Cruises. He is not an employee of Apollo either. So no divided loyalty. He can run NCL without having to worry about his other position.

As far as NCLA is concerned, I don't this has any bearing on that. The decision on NCLA will be made by the end of the year per the agreement between Star and Apollo. According to the agreement, there are only two options for NCLA..

1.) They decide to keep it and it is rolled over into the Star/Apollo 50-50 split of control along with NCL

or

2.) NCLA is folded and its "assets liquidated". (direct wording from the agreement). The POAm is turned over to NCL and reflagged into their international fleet and all other assets of NCLA are disposed of.

That decision is yet to be made and this move by Veitch really has no bearing on that.

just so you know its my understanding(from two separate sources no less) that the one ship remaining in NCL America is showing a "good" profit and is running fairly full with limited complaints about the food and service. I don't think whatever the CBP does will have much bearing on that one ship. The issue will be for the future. if there is no change NCL will just scrap the SS US and blame it on the failure to protect US flagged shipping. If there is a change it will await to see what the economy brings in either case its a no lose situation for NCL A. since I for one don't expect a final reg shortly(but my crystal ball on that is pure idle speculation), it doesn't matter much. You can read the tea leaves any way you want but in no case will this cause the sky to fall.

You can read the tea leaves any way you want but in no case will this cause the sky to fall.

You might say the "Sky" has already fallen.... or at least has been re-flagged.:D

(sorry, I know, bad joke. Couldn't resist.....)

Last week Travel Weekly printed their 50th anniversary special edition. In it they mentioned items from the archives.

"Foreign Shiplines Face Tighter U.S. Controls"

"This story reported a move by U.S. Customs to crack down on the cruiseline practice of including brief stops at foregin ports on cruises that operated between two U.S. points, and it singledout one particular itinerary that includeda brief stop in Ensenada, Mexico, on cruises from the West Coast to Hawaii.

"The story said cruise lines serving Hawaii and Alaska were particularly worried about the proposed restrictions.

"You'd be correct if you said this sounds suspiciously like a story that broke last year, when Customs launched a crackdown on token calls at Ensenada.

"But it only sounds like it.

"This headline and story appeared 35 years ago, on Jan. 2, 1973."

Last week Travel Weekly printed their 50th anniversary special edition. In it they mentioned items from the archives.

"Foreign Shiplines Face Tighter U.S. Controls"

"This story reported a move by U.S. Customs to crack down on the cruiseline practice of including brief stops at foregin ports on cruises that operated between two U.S. points, and it singledout one particular itinerary that includeda brief stop in Ensenada, Mexico, on cruises from the West Coast to Hawaii.

"The story said cruise lines serving Hawaii and Alaska were particularly worried about the proposed restrictions.

"You'd be correct if you said this sounds suspiciously like a story that broke last year, when Customs launched a crackdown on token calls at Ensenada.

"But it only sounds like it.

"This headline and story appeared 35 years ago, on Jan. 2, 1973."

LOL and we thought this CBP was slow....

Just checking in I have been gone a few days looks like it's sameo sameo right now:rolleyes: ..{{{Heavy sigh}}}Patty I hope the dentist was kind to you!

Dianne

After much filing and an xray, the dentist said he was mostly done, but because there was still an infection, I'm back on antibiotics and the tooth hasn't been re-crowned yet. So keep your fingers crossed for me for next week.

Just checking in I have been gone a few days looks like it's sameo sameo right now:rolleyes: ..{{{Heavy sigh}}}Patty I hope the dentist was kind to you!

Dianne

July 1 is only a few days away.... It will be interesting to see if they release anything that date.

With it being Fourth of July holiday shortened week, it would be their normal way of doing things on this issue to release it then. Release the information on July 1, it becomes public knowledge on July 2. Many people will be busy with the holiday stuff and trips on the 3rd and 4th. It could buy them a week for people (or Senators/NCL) to calm down OR it could also mean that many people won't see it due to the holiday.

I am still looking at July 1 to hear something.

July 1 is only a few days away.... It will be interesting to see if they release anything that date.

With it being Fourth of July holiday shortened week, it would be their normal way of doing things on this issue to release it then. Release the information on July 1, it becomes public knowledge on July 2. Many people will be busy with the holiday stuff and trips on the 3rd and 4th. It could buy them a week for people (or Senators/NCL) to calm down OR it could also mean that many people won't see it due to the holiday.

I am still looking at July 1 to hear something.

Congress wnet into 10 day recess yesterday.

Since Congress has nothing to do with it, did the Executive Branch/the Cabinet leave town also?

Congress is not involved in this and with the long recess, most members went home.

The "working class" of the government (as in non-elected, non-appointed) will still operate through Thursday. Granted the cabinet and other top level government officials may be gone.... the real workers are still there. (some may take Thursday off, but Government offices are supposed to be open then as well... closed only on Friday.)

That is what makes so much sense to release the decision on this "hot potatoe" issue on Tuesday, July 1. To release on Tuesday, the decision would already be written and all the necessary people (Chartoff, C&BP, etc.) would have already signed off on it.

Now some lowly press clerk simply releases the decision to the media and cruise lines on Tuesday. Those who are upset with the decision begin to call in and get: "I'm sorry, the person you need to talk to is out of the office until after the holiday." (or July 8 for a member of Congress.)

Since people won't be able to get a hold of anyone when they are the most upset, it gives them a chance to calm down and will blunt and even eliminate some of the calls.

Congress and the upper Government being gone is actually another reason to release the decision on Tuesday.

Since Congress has nothing to do with it, did the Executive Branch/the Cabinet leave town also?
I know CONGRESS HAS NOTHING TO DO with the PVSA Reinterpreation. I mentioned Congress because the Hosue and Senate Members who weighed in would not be around to protest an adverse outcome. I understand the difference between regulatory and legislative actions quite well.

Congress is not involved in this and with the long recess, most members went home.

The "working class" of the government (as in non-elected, non-appointed) will still operate through Thursday. Granted the cabinet and other top level government officials may be gone.... the real workers are still there. (some may take Thursday off, but Government offices are supposed to be open then as well... closed only on Friday.)

That is what makes so much sense to release the decision on this "hot potatoe" issue on Tuesday, July 1. To release on Tuesday, the decision would already be written and all the necessary people (Chartoff, C&BP, etc.) would have already signed off on it.

Now some lowly press clerk simply releases the decision to the media and cruise lines on Tuesday. Those who are upset with the decision begin to call in and get: "I'm sorry, the person you need to talk to is out of the office until after the holiday." (or July 8 for a member of Congress.)

Since people won't be able to get a hold of anyone when they are the most upset, it gives them a chance to calm down and will blunt and even eliminate some of the calls.

Congress and the upper Government being gone is actually another reason to release the decision on Tuesday.

Agree -- excellent explanation. May even point to a release on July 3.

I don't believe there is any time specified in the current rules, that is what the reinterpretation is about. When this first came up last summer most lines changed there schedules regarding Ensenada to stay 4-6 hours instead of the 1 hour in the middle of the night. That was when Customs first made a mention of the short stay not fulfilling the Spirit of the law, before they came out with the actual proposed reinterpretation we are all watching for.

Hi....

I just got back last week from my NCL cruise to Alaska, it was wonderful!!!!

We only stayed in Prince Rupert for 6 hours, I thought the current rule was 8 hours in a foreign port?

There is no set time limit YET and that is what allowed the mess to get started. The proposal is to set a time limit for foreign stops. NCL's original proposal was 48 hours, but rumors are that it will be less.

Personally, I feel 6-8 hours would suffice.

It's funny though... you were on an NCL ship (Star) and stopped in Prince Ruppert for 6 hours. NCL also only stops in Victoria for 6 hours with the Pearl.

Under NCL's proposal of 48 hours... those are illegal stops aimed at simply meeting the PVSA.

They want to ban the short stops in Ensenada on the Hawaii cruises because it financially benefits them (but costs the ports in money and jobs..) BUT they don't want to apply the new rules to Alaska where they are just as guilty as the other lines are in Mexico.

As usual, greedy little baby boy Colin Veitch wants things his way and who cares how many U.S. jobs are lost.

It's funny though... you were on an NCL ship (Star) and stopped in Prince Ruppert for 6 hours. NCL also only stops in Victoria for 6 hours with the Pearl.

Under NCL's proposal of 48 hours... those are illegal stops aimed at simply meeting the PVSA.

They want to ban the short stops in Ensenada on the Hawaii cruises because it financially benefits them (but costs the ports in money and jobs..) BUT they don't want to apply the new rules to Alaska where they are just as guilty as the other lines are in Mexico.

As usual, greedy little baby boy Colin Veitch wants things his way and who cares how many U.S. jobs are lost.

Boy I couldn't agree more!!!

Dianne

I don't believe there is any time specified in the current rules, that is what the reinterpretation is about. When this first came up last summer most lines changed there schedules regarding Ensenada to stay 4-6 hours instead of the 1 hour in the middle of the night. That was when Customs first made a mention of the short stay not fulfilling the Spirit of the law, before they came out with the actual proposed reinterpretation we are all watching for.

The Ensenada stops on the Princess Hawaiian cruises were not in the middle of the night. It may have been one hour around 6pm or so back in 2005, even though we ended up with a whole day there due to having to miss our last Hawaiian port. But even with that whole day, it seemed to me that most people didn't get off the ship at all. We only left for about a half hour to get a trinket for my mil at the little marketplace at the pier.

But the key thing to remember is that if the maritime bigwigs had a problem with an hour port stay, then just tell the cruiselines to change it to a doable six hour stay and leave it at that. Not totally mess with itineraries just to placate some CEO who couldn't manage his way out of a paper sack.

In March of this year, we had an 8 hour stop in Ensenada. When we did the same cruise 2 years ago, it was scheduled as a 4 hour stop, but the ship was unable to dock due to another ship being in the berth we were supposed to occupy, so we stayed outside the harbor, and a tender took the necessary paperwork to the harbormaster. We were on our way within 1 1/2 hours, and slooooooow cruised our way to Long Beach.

However in that case the reason for the very brief stop was something beyond the Captain's (or Princess') control.

July 1st has come and pretty much gone. Aboslutely NOTHING on the radar as far as any announcement.

I still believe that NOTHING will be announced in the year 2008. I predict that this will be re-visited no earlier than sometime early 2009, if at all.

Apparently the sky is not falling (at least as far as the PVSA goes. Fuel prices are a different subject.......)