White dinner Jackets

kpercy

I believe a bright white shirt just brings out the loveliness of the ivory of jacket out. You wouldn't want a complete monochromatic look would you?

Hey, I rocked that look in the 70s. My HS prom outfit was an all white tux, white shirt, white tie, white socks, and white shoes. :eek: Trust me, it was far better than the powder blue or burnt orange tuxes that were also popular.

The trouble with wearing a white shirt with a white DJ is that the white DJ is actually ivory and the shirt is likely a brilliant white.

That also looks wrong.

It may look wrong to you, but it is traditionally what is worn with an ivory jacket. I am curious as to why you think it looks "wrong"? Does it make the jacket look dingy to you? But it is ivory, afterall. Assuming you wear an ivory or winter-white DJ, what color shirt do you wear? Ivory? Too coordinated for my taste. Colored? See comments above regarding rabbit from sleeve.:D

Actually, wear the ivory shirt with the ivory wool dinner jacket and let the cummerbund, tie, shoes and studs accent with color.

So one penguin says to another: Someone said we were wearing tuxedos; and the other penguin says who's to say we're not.

I know that the purests on this board only seem to think in black and white, throwing up proms and halloween with every other post but IMHO, color is good.

Oh, agreed. But I don't think anyone was suggesting such a combo (unless you are a magician, entertainer, or Sigfreid and Roy). Must be a white shirt, black bow-tie (self tied, natch), black dress pants (preferably with satin ribbon down the side), and black dress shoes.

Is that an already tied bow tie or is it one you must tie? If it's one you must tie yourself, then do you believe that they look better?

I downloaded instructions on how to tie one before the cruise and practiced on a large vase and actually got the knack of it (not an easy task), but my husband said it wasn't necessary, so he took the one with a hook in the back. The hook didn't really show and looked nice. So I never had a chance to try my new skill.

Maybe next time.

l used to practise this fine art many many years ago and used to prance round the stage with my magic wand, ... :)

Cheers

Magical Myles :eek:

I have this vision :eek: :p

Gav :cool:

Is that an already tied bow tie or is it one you must tie? If it's one you must tie yourself, then do you believe that they look better?

I downloaded instructions on how to tie one before the cruise and practiced on a large vase and actually got the knack of it (not an easy task), but my husband said it wasn't necessary, so he took the one with a hook in the back. The hook didn't really show and looked nice. So I never had a chance to try my new skill.

Maybe next time.

One you tie yourself (or have another tie for you, if required). In addition to being a part of the "classic look," I personally think they look nicer, precisely because they are never "perfect" and have a bit of personal character due to slight variations in technique. It can be frustrating at first, so best to bring along both so that you (or he) don't/(doesn't) get into a panic if it just won't tie.

Originally Posted by cunardqueen

l used to practise this fine art many many years ago and used to prance round the stage with my magic wand, ...

Cheers

Magical Myles

I have this vision

Gav

The wand used to fire a blank cartridge, added to that some flash wool stuck up the end and when it went off it used to send a flash right over the audience heads, the bang woke up those that dared sleep, and scared me half to death, but the effect was worth it.. Of course such things these days are a no no.

Had l worn a white/cream dj and a black/red/blue/geen or yellow bow tie (self tied or ready tied) l could have been covered in gun powder, But as it happens l never wore a white dj.

Actually, wear the ivory shirt with the ivory wool dinner jacket and let the cummerbund, tie, shoes and studs accent with color.

I know that the purests on this board only seem to think in black and white, throwing up proms and halloween with every other post but IMHO, color is good.

That's because the purists are correct. Colour is okay if you are sixteen, or do party tricks.

Otherwise self tied black silk is the requirement.

Yes, and he looked very nice all thirteen days. He wore a black tux for three of the formal nights and an ivory one for one when we were near Panama, somewhere at sea. He wore a white tux shirt, not with wings on the collar, but a regular one all four nights. And every formal night he wore a black bow tie and cummerbund, but I guess he did not fulfill the requirement because his silk bow tie had a hook in the back (his decision, not mine). I even learned how to tie one for him, but he thought it wasn't necessary. But he looked beautiful to me anyway.

Off topic for one moment. I've been criticized for not keeping quotes separate from my own posts. I seem to have no problem at all when I use the whole quote, but when I try to break things up it doesn't work, it just becomes either all colored or all white, Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong? Also, some people seem to be able to use red lettering to highlight some words. How is that done? One day I'll get the hang all of this.

Off topic for one moment. I've been criticized for not keeping quotes separate from my own posts. I seem to have no problem at all when I use the whole quote, but when I try to break things up it doesn't work, it just becomes either all colored or all white, Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong?

Poodlesmom,

When you click the "quote" button you will see that the post you are quoting starts and ends with two "markers" that define the quote. The first marker starts with an open square bracket then says something like "quote=poodlesmom;14761328" then ends with a closed square bracket. The end marker starts with an open square bracket then says "/quote" and ends with a closed square bracket. If you want to split up the post you need to make sure that each section starts and ends with these markers. You can simply copy and paste them to enclose the sections you want to define then type your own text in between them.

Also, some people seem to be able to use red lettering to highlight some words. How is that done? One day I'll get the hang all of this.

To change the color of the text look on the top menu bar of the window in which you compose your post. You will see a pull down list containing the name of the font you are using (typically Verdana). To the left of this is the pull down list for the font size (usually 2) and to the left of that again is an upper case A with a pull down arrow beside it. If you click on the arrow you will gain access to the available color set. Simply highlight the text that you wish to color, then click the pull down list and select the color you require, eg, red

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Fifty dollar bob,

for the record I am not 16 or do I do party tricks - well maybe after a heavy day on QE2 & copious amounts of champagne whichI tend to drink quite a lot of whilst on QE2!!! I am 34 & do sometimes wear my white D Jacket with either a black or red bow tie!!!! I don't feel out of place & have seen many others with different colour bow ties & white D Jackets whether it's in the Queens Grill or the rest of the ship!

RJMS74

Poodlesmom,

When you click the "quote" button you will see that the post you are quoting starts and ends with two "markers" that define the quote. The first marker starts with an open square bracket then says something like "quote=poodlesmom;14761328" then ends with a closed square bracket. The end marker starts with an open square bracket then says "/quote" and ends with a closed square bracket. If you want to split up the post you need to make sure that each section starts and ends with these markers. You can simply copy and paste them to enclose the sections you want to define then type your own text in between them.]

Okay I did that I think.

[To change the color of the text look on the top menu bar of the window in which you compose your post. You will see a pull down list containing the name of the font you are using (typically Verdana). To the left of this is the pull down list for the font size (usually 2) and to the left of that again is an upper case A with a pull down arrow beside it. If you click on the arrow you will gain access to the available color set. Simply highlight the text that you wish to color, then click the pull down list and select the color you require, eg, red

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Maybe it did! Let's see.

Gail

It didn't work. It will take a little figuring out, but thanks, Jimmy, if I,m nothing else, I'm tenacious, and I will learn.

PM - another tip. If you use the preview button, you can see what the post will look like then, if necessary, go back and make further changes. Even after you have finally posted, you've got a period of about 20 to 30 minutes during which you can use the Edit button to go back into the post and make more changes.

Jimmy

PM - another tip. If you use the preview button, you can see what the post will look like then, if necessary, go back and make further changes.

What you must do is copy and paste. At the beginning of each text segment for which you wish to put your words below, you must bracket it with two things. The first is as follows, which you will find at the beginning of the quote window:

[ QUOTE=Cruachan;14762100 ] without the spaces after the leading paren and before the trailing paren. Likewise with the end of the quote [ /QUOTE ]

Then you type your response. Then for the next segment of text you wish to quote, repeat above. Try again.

Even after you have finally posted, you've got a period of about 20 to 30 minutes during which you can use the Edit button to go back into the post and make more changes.

Jimmy

One can even make up quotes!

I can't do quotes!

Dangerous stuff!

Is where you find it, and not because of a silk bow tie!

That's because the purists are correct. Colour is okay if you are sixteen, or do party tricks.

Otherwise self tied black silk is the requirement.

You forgot to throw in the proms and Halloween while you were pontificating.

Not trying to be argumentative, but whose?

The Fifty Dollar Bobs of this world, of which there's a passel of em on these boards all in lock step like the March of the Penguins.

But I'm a Texan, so while you are stereotyping, write me off as an unsophisticated colorful individualist and quite frankly, I can live with that. :)

You know, when I pushed the right side of the mouse, copy didn't come up, just a whole lot of other things--I know print was one of them--then I pushed another time and paste came up, but I hadn't copied anything. I WILL LEARN! My computer skills are quite limited, as you can see. Believe it or not, I've come a long way since I first was on the boards, but I have a long way to go, I guess.

Archived