White dinner Jackets

kpercy

I think the bottom line to all of this is, if you choose to wear it, it isn't appropriate traditionally and you might be the only one in a white dinner jacket. However, if it's a choice between being inappropriate in a white dinner jacket and being inappropriate in jeans and a tee-shirt, please opt for the former.

Bon Voyage.

I think the bottom line to all of this is, if you choose to wear it, it isn't appropriate traditionally and you might be the only one in a white dinner jacket. However, if it's a choice between being inappropriate in a white dinner jacket and being inappropriate in jeans and a tee-shirt, please opt for the former.

Bon Voyage.

How about a white dinner jacket over jeans and a tee-shirt?

this White dinner jacket & when to wear it seems to be creating some interest! I just wear what DJ I want to wear when I want to wear it as did my late grandfather who enjoyed circa 50+ cruises on QE2 alone + at least the same on many other P & O ships such as Canberra & the original Oriana, Queen Mary, SS Chusan, etc & who was a 'veteran' of countless numbers of crossings & cruises of 3/4 weeks duration at a time - approx. 3 cruises a year at least & who always alternated between a white & black dinner jacket!

Each to their own I say & I am following suit!!! Excuse the pun!!!!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Is there an ivory jacket considered a white jacket or is the ivory jacket in a category by itself?

Traditionally, what people are referring to as a "white" dinner jacket is ivory in color. See the link below for an example.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=235&Product_Id=901901&Parent_Id=202

usually I wear a white shirt with either black or red bow tie + white DJacket of course & sometimes black DJ!

Richard

OK, outside the tropics you are already stretching the "rules" with the ivory DJ, but a red bow tie??? Not on a formal night, I hope. Please do clarify.

My husband actually borrowed my son's ivory jacket to give him another choice, It was on our cruise to Panama, so I'm guessing that would be acceptable on a formal night. And, of course, he wore his favorite hot pink with purple polka dot bow tie and matching cummerbund.

My husband actually borrowed my son's ivory jacket to give him another choice, It was on our cruise to Panama, so I'm guessing that would be acceptable on a formal night.

Yes, that's the tropics.

And, of course, he wore his favorite hot pink with purple polka dot bow tie and matching cummerbund.

Well, that's another kettle of fish. I would suggest black tie for ALL formal nights with dinner suits or even ivory dinner jackets. Colored ties I have done, black and white paisley, burgundy paisley, etc. on semi-formal only. But, I am old-fashioned, and a firm adherent, happily, to traditional attire.

I was just kidding. It's been a little grim on the boards lately and I thought it needed a little lightening up. I know I have a strange sense of humor.

I was 50/50 in my estimation on that point. You have a deadpan sense of humor, and I just could not read it without an emoticon, but I am relieved to know you were kidding!;)

:) I'm glad your not mad. I worried about that.

Really, we are fairly sure what is correct to wear. And when in doubt we check with Scott, our musician son who has been in a tux since he was in the eighth grade. Scotty is meticulous in his dress. I do remember; however, when my boys went to their proms, tuxes were coupled with black and white checkered bow tie and cummerbund, light pink bow tie and cummerbund, and bright orange animal print bow tie and cummerbund. Their outfits were usually dictated by what their dates were wearing and their dates (some whose taste was all in their mouth).

:) I'm glad your not mad. I worried about that.

Really, we are fairly sure what is correct to wear. And when in doubt we check with Scott, our musician son who has been in a tux since he was in the eighth grade. Scotty is meticulous in his dress. I do remember; however, when my boys went to their proms, tuxes were coupled with black and white checkered bow tie and cummerbund, light pink bow tie and cummerbund, and bright orange animal print bow tie and cummerbund. Their outfits were usually dictated by what their dates were wearing and their dates (some whose taste was all in their mouth).

Oh, you know me better than that by now! On second thought, I was 90% sure it was a wisecrack, but you never know! And of course, bright colored tie sets are made for prom (and comedians, magicians, etc.)!:D

Guest Anorak33
Hmmm, I caught the post...had second thoughts about your question??:D

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor...............and sometimes second thoughts are better than hasty first thoughts................

in short YES!

Can you pull a rabbit from your sleeve? or make balloon animals?

On the subject of Magicians and white djs, l used to practise this fine art many many years ago and used to prance round the stage with my magic wand, ...so RJMS if you do take you white dj on the next cruise, l could lend you a few tricks to show your fellow passengers :)

Cheers

Magical Myles :eek:

Sorry, I hate seeing the light jacket with the black shirt.

Oh, agreed. But I don't think anyone was suggesting such a combo (unless you are a magician, entertainer, or Sigfreid and Roy). Must be a white shirt, black bow-tie (self tied, natch), black dress pants (preferably with satin ribbon down the side), and black dress shoes.

Guest Anorak33

The trouble with wearing a white shirt with a white DJ is that the white DJ is actually ivory and the shirt is likely a brilliant white.

That also looks wrong.

Archived