White dinner Jackets

kpercy

Some may say that white dinner jacket is only for the tropics. The broader rule is that it is also okay during the summer.

As for on board the Cunard ships, you see a fair number of them on the formal nights and they are completely acceptable to the management. Indeed, they used to be (and may still be) sold on QE2.

I am among the minority that believe that white dinner jackets should only be worn by folks carrying trays. Of course, in the real world and on the QM2 they are acceptable and are worn by many gentlemen whatever season or place they happen to be in. By the way, the Hermes store on QM2 rents them.

TuxRental.jpg

My husband wore a white dinner jacket on one of the formal nights on the March 24 cruise to Panama and the Caribbean on the QM2. It was a formal night when we were between islands and he looked marvelous. I do believe there is a difference between what is acceptable in the U.K. and the U.S. Many Americans tend to be a little more flexible in what is acceptable, while Brits seem to be more driven by tradition. Just my opinion, and my intention is not meant to lump all of any group together. Certainly every one is an individual and I am sure there are many exceptions: however, I have found an article that might be of some help.

Classic Warm-Weather Black Tie

The white jacket variation of black tie began in the early 1930s as a way for well-heeled vacationers to dress formally in the tropical heat without having to endure the heavy and dark-colored fabrics that were standard for evening wear at the time. While dinner suits have become much more lightweight since then, the light-colored jacket has remained a popular warm-weather alternative to its ebony progenitor.

However, without a proper understanding of its form and function, the white dinner jacket easily becomes a flashy gimmick. Subtlety and restraint are the keys to the successful execution of this classic variation.

• Etiquette

The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts speaks to its specific role as a casual alternative to traditional black tie. This less formal status limits its appropriateness to celebratory events and hot weather climes. Such occasions traditionally include vacations in the tropics year round as well as country club and yacht club dances in

I'm sorry, I was unable to get the rest of the article to print. Here is the rest of it:

. . .yacht club dances in America during the summer season.

While summer in the southern United States certainly qualifies as being tropical, the same cannot be said for the more temperate northern states and Canada. It is for this reason that numerous experts advise using discretion north of the Mason-Dixon line in order to avoid dressing for effect rather than for the occasion. Indeed, black tie guests in these regions would be wise to heed the example of their British cousins who do not consider the United Kingdom's temperate climate to be appropriate for white formal wear at any time of the year.

And if a man is particularly serious about formal convention, a white dinner jacket should never be worn in the city "unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips", in the words of Esquire magazine

...for the occasion...
I think a formal night on an ocean liner counts as enough of an occassion to warrant wearing a white dinner jacket, if one so chooses. Although, I have worn mine only on semi-formal nights (I think, but I could be wrong! I may have slipped it in on a formal night on a longer voyage, to mix things up a bit!).

PianoMan,

I do too, particularly in summer and hot climates, but kpercy is going to northern Europe, so that might be a little different. Like I said before, my husband wore his on a formal night in the Caribbean and he looked very appropriate to me and it made a lot of sense because it was quite hot and humid.

Here is a bit more about white dinner jaclets:

White dinner jackets are common in warm climates, and in the summer in some temperate countries. The British Isles are not considered warm enough for white dinner jackets to be acceptable, even in the summer. In the United States and Canada white dinner jackets may be worn from mid-April through to Labor Day. The wearing of white dinner jackets in Europe and temperate climates is frowned upon in the United Kingdom; and many maintain they are appropriate only in India, the Caribbean, and in the former south east Asian colonies.

I've never understood what difference wearing any white garment makes at night. I can see its usefulness in the bright sunshine, but at night???

I certainly was not a physics major, but I remember a little of why white is better when it is hot, from general science classes as well as a few art classes. I believe that white reflects light, while black absorbs light. There are all kinds of light waves around us and those light waves convert to heat waves. Therefore, even though there is no direct sunlight at night, there are light waves, which in turn become heat energy and when that heat energy is absorbed by black clothing it makes you feel warmer.

I know, it is a very simplistic explanation and I am sure that there is much more to it than that. Maybe someone who is a little more scientifically inclined can explain it in more detail.

I took the February 2nd 13 day New York to Panama/Caribbean cruise and I took a black tuxedo and a white dinner jacket. I wore the tuxedo on the first and last formal night when the weather was cold and i wore the white dinner jacket on the two formal nights that occurred when we were in the Caribeean.

On June 10th I am taking the 12 night Norway cruise on the QV and I will only take my black tuxedo as the weather will be cool for the entire trip and frankly I am trying to limit the weight of my luggage so i am leaving the white dinner jacket at home.

BTW, I have now converted from a bow tie to a silk silver tie and a normal collar rather than the 1990's type of high pointed collar. My clothing store has told me that this is the new modern look and is totally acceptable. Also the cumberbund is now history.

The store I use for all my clothing is Mitchells of Westport, CT.

Just returned from 2 transatlantic voyages with more than have the passengers from the U.K. We estimate at least 20% of the chaps were wearing white dinner jackets which was quite appropriate for the black and white ball. Let us also remember this is Cunard and not NCL etc. where white dinner jackets are not very common.

On all QE2 / QM2 cruises I've been on there is usually around 30% of gentlemen wearing a white dinner jacket regardless of weather the cruise is going to a warmer climate or not.

I myself take both a white & black Dinner Jacket if it is a longer cruise or there are a higher percentage of formal nights like on the 20 night Autumn Colours cruise I did on QE2 in 2006.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

No. Ivory Dinner Jackets should ONLY be worn in the tropics. Never on a Transatlantic Crossing (clue, it's the NORTH atlantic) or on a northern/cold water cruise (regardless of the time of year).

As a general rule, when the officers appear in their whites, you can appear in yours.

Unless you think you are Commander J. Bond. Then your delusions will allow you to wear anything.

peppern,

I am not 007, but many of my fellow passengers also wore white DJ's on the 2006 crossing & cruise to the US & Canada including many of my fellow diners in the Queens Grill.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Dare I say nom de plume I do the same thing when I go swimming onboard& en route to the pool - even when I had the Boat Deck cabin on my last cruise as opposed to my usual 1 or 2 deck cabin - next month I am back on one deck so less further to walk! No it does not necessarily make it right just because you are in the QG Rest - re the D Jacket as long as you are following the dress code black or white - it's immaterial!

Richard, RJMS74

nom de plume of course not & I did not mean re QG & having carte blanche to wear or do what one likes!!! but re the cabin / bath robe I wear one when en-route to either the indoor or outdoor pool!!!

Re the white dinner jacket as long as one follows the dress code i.e. dinner suit whether it's white or black - it's immaterial as is demonstrated when you are on a ship whether it's P & O or Cunard or Celebrity being the 3 lines I've cruised on quite a bit & where you always see a mixture of white & Black D jackets!

Richard

Dare I say nom de plume I do the same thing when I go swimming onboard& en route to the pool - even when I had the Boat Deck cabin on my last cruise as opposed to my usual 1 or 2 deck cabin - next month I am back on one deck so less further to walk! No it does not necessarily make it right just because you are in the QG Rest - re the D Jacket as long as you are following the dress code black or white - it's immaterial!

Richard, RJMS74

Walking around a ship in one's robe regardless of cabin category is, in my opinion, just not the proper thing to do. And there is a correct place for white dinner jackets and it is not on a North Atlantic cruise or crossing unless the ship's officers are wearing white.

I myself take both a white & black Dinner Jacket if it is a longer cruise or there are a higher percentage of formal nights like on the 20 night Autumn Colours cruise I did on QE2 in 2006.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

On your Autumn Colours cruise, how many Formals/Semi -formals did you have? Then we'll know whether to take the Cream jacket as well as the Dinner Suit.

Archived