Anyone doing cruisetour to Prudhoe Bay

fundayz

Yes, I have. There are only 2 other people on our roll call. I was just wondering if anyone else was planning for this trip this summer. Since it is a off the beaten path type of trip.

We did this trip a few year ago and it is great! Just be prepared that you lodgings at Prudoe Bay and in Coldfoot are really rustic and very different that what you might be used to (twin beds, dorm type rooms), but it just makes the experience that much more authentic. The tundra scenery is just awesome. If I can help with any questions, I'd be glad to.

Pam

We are aware that the lodging is basic, but like you think it will add to the charm.

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip. Just wondering if there was any tips for things to do or anything you wish you did or brought.

Thanks for your help!

We are aware that the lodging is basic, but like you think it will add to the charm.

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip. Just wondering if there was any tips for things to do or anything you wish you did or brought.

Thanks for your help!

We are going on this cruisetour on August 18th, please post when you get back and let us know details- a full cruisetour review from someone would be great- there are so many questions that I wouldn't know where to begin! Laurie;)

One experience we had at Prudhoe - we were there in mid-July - so I and several fellow passengers, went outside to periodically check the midnight sun. I finally gave in around 1:30 am when the sun hit the horizon. What a great picture and just amazing to be standing around outside at that time of night and yet still not dark.

BP Oil gave us access to an Arctic Ocean beach and we had to opportunity to get in, so if you're brave enough, have access to your swimming attire and jump in! I was just a feet in person, and still wish I had gone for it! You can see the ice pack from the beach (although it's probably moved a lot further now with global warming.)

Also, not to miss - at Coldfoot - we were given the opportunity to do an evening flight into the Gates of the Arctic National Park. There were 6 of us who decided to go. There are not words to describe flying into the mountains and throught the "gates". We landed in a Native American village and spent an hour or so with a local guide walking around and seeing the good and bad about modern life in this isolated place. Then we had to fly out the way we went in! Totally scary and totally cool!

We just loved every minute of it!

Pam

Thanks for the info- the 9 and a half hour bus rides between Fairbanks and Coldfoot and then between Coldfoot and Prudhoe Bay- what are they like? Do they stop often? Do they stop when animals are spotted? Do the drivers narrate along the way? Do I need to take food for my diabetic husband? It's great to hear from someone who has been there. Thanks!;)

We had a marvelous bus driver/guide who knew so much about the area and was so entertaining. We stopped often when he spotted dall sheep or other wildlife or to see some interesting aspect of the pipeline, to take a picture on the Arctic Circle, or to watch a bear. There are no gas stations or food sources, between Prudhoe and Coldfoot, at least there weren't a few years ago, and I hope that hasn't changed! It's mostly a type of gravel road, so it's kind of adventurous:-) Lunch was provided for us between Prudhoe and Coldfoot and it's a great memory. We stopped along the tundra and found some rocks to sit on amongst the beautful tundra flowers and had our sandwiches, chips, granola bars, water, etc., and it never tasted so good. We had a view of a crater deep-blue pond. Almost indesribable! There is a bathroom on the bus and all the bottled water you'd want. Between Coldfoot and Fairbanks, there is more civilization and we stoppped at a fun hamburger place that was certainly nothing like you'd find at home:-) I've got to say that after these adventures, the lodges at Fairbanks and Denali were a bit of a letdown. Although quite lovely, it was hard to go back to the huge groups of people and those places almost seemed Disney -esque after where we'd been. Just an opinion of course.

Pam

My husband and I have cruised Alaska several times. Last year we did the one week land tour to Prudhoe Bay, Coldfoot, Artic Circle, etc. with Princess. A trip not to be missed! We had a fantastic time. I am a very active person and I booked this trip to make my husband happy; I figured the 9 hour bus rides would be agony. To save my sanity I packed several paperback books. Needless to say, I barely cracked the cover of the first one. The bus driver was fantastic. Knowledgable, friendly and was willing to stop anytime someone shouted out that animals or a photo op was in view. We did see a wide variety of animals. The bus driver picked up boxed lunches every morning before we left and we stopped along side the road for snacks and lunch. Basic sandwiches, fruit, cookies and drink, but we were never hungry and the views were terrific. The evening accomodations were simple, but clean and the dinners were hardy and food plentiful. One afternoon we came across a hamburger stand in the middle of nowhere. The food was to die for. My husband still talks about it. Our fellow passengers were a joy, not a whiner or complainer in the bunch and we all became quite friendly, with several of us corresponding after the trip. It was well worth the cost; after all, how many people can say they've been to the Artic Circle!

• 1 year later...

Wow! I wish we were going this summer. We take a cruise every 2 years. We have always gone during the winter months so naturally we go somewhere warm. BUT, next July we will be taking the exact cruise you are describing. I am more exxcited anout it now that I have read all your posts. Please keep it up. Next summer seems so far away, so I will have to live thru your posts. What you describe sounds totally AWESOME!

Do I need to take food for my diabetic husband? QUOTE]

Absolutely you HAVE to take food. Are you willing to risk hypoglycemia? Or is he a well controlled predictable, non problematic diabetic? Frankly, intake is a given to **always** have on hand with diabetics.

Also, not to miss - at Coldfoot - we were given the opportunity to do an evening flight into the Gates of the Arctic National Park. There were 6 of us who decided to go. There are not words to describe flying into the mountains and throught the "gates". We landed in a Native American village and spent an hour or so with a local guide walking around and seeing the good and bad about modern life in this isolated place. Then we had to fly out the way we went in! Totally scary and totally cool!

We just loved every minute of it!

Pam

Do you know where you went??? I am speculating it is Anaktuvuk Pass ??

For clarification this is NOT the Gates of the Arctic National Park, it is all independent, native Eskimo village of about 300 people.

Well, all I know is that the pilot said we were flying throught the "gates" of the park.

Whether the village where we landed was in the park or not, I can't speak on, as it has been a few years.

I also know our bus drove over Anaktuvuk Pass.

It is a marvelous trip and I heartily recommend it all!

Pam

Well, all I know is that the pilot said we were flying throught the "gates" of the park.

Whether the village where we landed was in the park or not, I can't speak on, as it has been a few years.

I also know our bus drove over Anaktuvuk Pass.

It is a marvelous trip and I heartily recommend it all!

Pam

Sorry, your "bus" did not drive over Anaktuvuk Pass, take a look at a map. It is fly in only. And they certainly do not have tour "buses" there, that were ferried in via cargo planes. http://www.nps.gov/gaar/planyourvisit/directions.htm

• 8 months later...

Archived