Complaining Couple Banned from RCI

If the question is whether a cruise line has the right to ban someone, I think the obvious answer is yes -- if the person violates the cruise contract or some other agreement. Does it make any sense to ban someone over something they write about the company on the internet? I don't think it does. And this article wouldn't stop me from posting my opinion on this forum.

The real bone of contention may be public mention of compensation. If I had a legitimate complaint about my cruise and the line compensated me in some manner, I don't think I would post the details of that compensation online. I might indicate that the company had resolved the issue to my satisfaction, but that's it.

Karen

Wasn't this the member who made a point of bringing a blacklight with her and went over every surface in her cabin? She then complained about any thing that fluoresced (and many things glow under a blacklight that are not a health problem or filth).

She also started an extensive thread on here about her blacklight escapades.

I wonder what took RCCL so long to wise up to her game.

Celebrity does read these boards, and they did read about the "blacklight". They confiscated it at the pier before they boarded. We heard about this from staff onboard Celebrity.

The article makes it sound as if the review was a big issue. I just don't see that. There have been worse reviews about Royal Caribbean ships and I find it difficult to believe that the company contacts the authors and asks for them to be rescinded. I find the whole "Big Brother" slant of the article too farfetched to be accurate. JMHO

Karen

My opinion is that's because the whole story was not told ... by the Morans (to the author of the article) or the cruise line (to protect the Morans for whatever reason).

~d

Ahhh come on now, thats a little unfair - I dont know the OP at all, and am not defending her, but I think she has a right to complain about raw sewage filling the bathroom and overflowing onto the stateroom carpet - would you not have complained about the same thing? I know I would have!

If that indeed happened. There's no way to know whether the experience got worse with retelling or the journalist made a few embellishments.:rolleyes: You'll notice that the original review only mentioned the smell of sewage, not that it spilled over into the stateroom, quite a difference IMHO:

"Our stateroom 8276 (AFT D1) was nicely appointed but the bathroom reeked of sewer smell for the entire 14 night cruise."

We were on that cruise and had a fabulous time. I will say that Radiance does have some issues, particularly when people flush inappropriately. We experienced some coffee-grounds looking stuff coming up from the floor drain and when they changed the water tanks it was yellow for awhile. As they say, ship happens.

I think RCI is properly being a bit circumspect about what really happened. I've been known to post a few negative comments and will continue to do so when warranted, but I try (mostly) to phrase them as constructive criticism. So far nothing has happened that would lead to me seek compensation, though.:)

If the question is whether a cruise line has the right to ban someone, I think the obvious answer is yes -- if the person violates the cruise contract or some other agreement. Does it make any sense to ban someone over something they write about the company on the internet? I don't think it does. And this article wouldn't stop me from posting my opinion on this forum.

The real bone of contention may be public mention of compensation. If I had a legitimate complaint about my cruise and the line compensated me in some manner, I don't think I would post the details of that compensation online. I might indicate that the company had resolved the issue to my satisfaction, but that's it.

Karen

Host Karen...

Do you think that it would be appropriate for CC to edit posts that spell out specific compensation details and replace it with "<note: company resolved issues to customers' satisfaction>"?

I do think that companies will often make an offer to keep a customer's goodwill, but continual postings of the details of those offers may end up limiting the ability of the companies to make such offers, and require them, in the end, to give up the customers.

Just an idea....

Karen

I agree Karen. The review was fine. Certainly I've read much worse than that one. My opinion only, but I would think RCL and company would just like to make her disappear from the internet community.

In saying that, I think they have reason for that. I have read (and made the mistake of trying to speak to her) about her attitude and how she is/was always bragging about what she was going to demand from the company and then coming on here to list everything she received and basically how mamagement at RCL gave in to all her demands that is was only a matter of time before this happened. I believe the term chronic complainer is apt in this particular case. The sad thing is now she is getting even more coverage.

Karen

Karen, having been on the receiving end of one of these people, what they do is write glowing reports about you on a public forum, such as this. But at the same time they write scathing letters complaining about pretty much everything to the company...its almost like a script in a way...each time the letter arrives, usually to a different customer service clerk so the chain is never really picked up.

For example the one I had, complained that her mattress was too hard....to the night porter at the hotel at 3am and she expected it to be changed there and then....it was...and there was a catalogue of 'problems' in her letter to the company...it was absolutely damning. But she was also talking to the other passengers during the trip saying how wonderful it was and how it was the best trip she had ever taken etc.

This woman had done it for so long and gotten away with it, she had copies of letters that she would choose which one to use this time...I actually got a hold of the letters that she used and they were incredible....I have seen plenty of things but the content of these letters shocked me.

All I can say is that there is a short circuit somewhere in these people. I never want to come across another one...it is enough to get you right out of the tourism business.

Host Karen...

Do you think that it would be appropriate for CC to edit posts that spell out specific compensation details and replace it with "<note: company resolved issues to customers' satisfaction>"?

I do think that companies will often make an offer to keep a customer's goodwill, but continual postings of the details of those offers may end up limiting the ability of the companies to make such offers, and require them, in the end, to give up the customers.

Just an idea....

I do that on another board, but this one is so huge I doubt it would be possible, would it Karen?

Ahhh come on now, thats a little unfair - I dont know the OP at all, and am not defending her, but I think she has a right to complain about raw sewage filling the bathroom and overflowing onto the stateroom carpet - would you not have complained about the same thing? I know I would have!

The part of the article that caught my eye was this:

"Royal Caribbean worked with the couple to solve problems and offered discounts and onboard credits to keep the couple’s business."

We obviously don't know the whole story, but I get the impression that this couple made a habit of finding something to complain about on every cruise and looked for compensation from RCI in order to "keep their business." Someone probably finally wised up to it and decided their business wasn't worth keeping. Their overall profit margin is only about 10% or so. It doesn't take too much compensation to make you a money-loser for them. If they were having to routinely offer compensation and getting bashed on Cruise Critic to boot, they were not good business.

Writing your honest opinion is fine. If you have a pattern of always finding something wrong that you want some sort of payment or discount for . . . watch out.

Having seen what this 'lady' is capable of on here, I think you'll find that it isn't what she complained about but how she complained. Embelishment and often downright rude and patronising...and it does have to be said that she can be very personal with her vitriole towards certain crew members and has been known to have a go at the administration within the company with pointed remarks etc.

In some ways, this board is like her stage...she performs on her in ways that can be quite overpowering. A couple of weeks ago another member posted threads in NCL section about her being weird...inappropriate, yes, but if that is how she is being perceived, then there is not alot anyone can do about it. She has been on here many years, used several names in her time, IIRC been banned a few times for being outspoken or just plain nasty.

She has had the RCI/Celebrity/Azamara ban coming for quite some time.

Ahhhh, OK, the lady obviously wasnt banned just because of the negative review she wrote - I thought it was a bit odd for RCI to take such drastic action over a trip report that wasnt particularly scathing!

The cruiser obviously has longstanding ''issues'' with RCI and Cruise Critic members in general by the looks of it?

I beleive there is more to the story! I cruised on a Princess Ship, paid for a triple cabin and when we got to the cabin, there was no 3rd berth! The Ship was full, so the only alternative was to place a cot in our cabin. That was okay, but the use of the Balcony was limited ( due to the fact the cot was placed in front of the Balcony door), and if one woke early you could not get out to the Balcony. When I got home from the cruise, I wrote a letter ( 1st time and last that I ever had to write for any type complaint), the Cruiseline did Compensate me for the issue to my satisfaction! I am almost positive I had mentioned the amount I was compensated with on CC. I have since cruised on that line, in fact the same Ship, and receive coupons, offer, etc., up until this day to cruise on their line. Grant you it was only ONCE, that I ever filed a complaint in writing to a Cruiseline. I have verbably made small complaints (if air didn't work in cabin) (seapass account was charged for something I did not buy), but those issues were all resolved on the Spot with NO ADDIONAL COMPENASTION.:)

Karen

That would have been the best thing to do.....

No way would a cruise line or any business tell someone to move on over a review and I would hope that we are all smart enough to realize that. There is more to the story which made me think twice when I read about the cruise lines calling to have a thread or post removed.

It's also now clear that, if you want to keep your anonymity, you'd better not be too specific in any of your online postings. For example, specific information or reviews about a sailing date, ship, stateroom number and/or specific circumstances will allow the cruiseline "monitors" to figure out who you are! And you'd definitely better remove that cruise history in your signature or that's a dead giveaway!

No way would a cruise line or any business tell someone to move on over a review and I would hope that we are all smart enough to realize that. There is more to the story which made me think twice when I read about the cruise lines calling to have a thread or post removed.

BINGO!

I would almost bet it was the numerous subsequent reviews on other websites that were very unfair and unbalanced regarding the Radiance Member's cruise that directed RCI to take action. She mentioned many times in those reviews the compensation that they were awarded............and with each review it got better and better.

Being compensated by a cruise line for whatever reason is a private matter and should never be discussed on a message board or revealed in a review unless the compensation was extended to everyone on that sailing.

Host Karen...

Just an idea....

No NO NO NO No. These boards are already far too limited in their usability already. To suggest further big brothering from the Mods here is not the way to go.

Let each person deal with the consequences of their actions.

And if you're compensated, its because the company screwed up usually twice as much as they compensated you for.

I have been compensated for things in the past. I am sure most all of us have. In my case they were very legit and serious complaints. I am sure this applies to the majority of you as well.

But to suggest that someone who has a similar experience to yours should be denied the information of what is fair, is doing nothing else but making these boards less attractive and useful. Then comes less traffic. And finally the lines stop reading it and you've all lost your say.

These boards do NOT exist for the cheerleading of the cruise companies.

Everyone company with 1 computer tracks their customers. They are aware of who "costs" them the most. It looks like this customer just wasnt worth the hassle any more.

I HIGHLY doubt it was this one review (review reads fair to me actually) but a long established (they're diamond or diamond plus after all) history that we do not have access to.

So it was most likely NOT their discussion of compensation but the fact that they felt they really couldnt meet their expectations without a compensation seeking complaint at the end of it.

Years ago if you wrote a letter of complaint about a product they routinely sent out gifts/replacements/whatever. I know someone who wrote such letters just to get stuff and bragged about it. You don't see give aways like that anymore.

I think this is the same type of situations.

Recently when an airline went out of business an NCL cruiser missed her Hawaiian cruise. She had no insurance. NCL is in a no win situation on something like this. The cruiser was lovely and everyone hoping she'd get something. If NCL helped out this cruiser than they are opening a can of worms. Hopefully she received something and is smart enough to not post about it.

I would almost bet it was the numerous subsequent reviews on other websites that were very unfair and unbalanced regarding the Radiance Member's cruise that directed RCI to take action. She mentioned many times in those reviews the compensation that they were awarded............and with each review it got better and better.

Being compensated by a cruise line for whatever reason is a private matter and should never be discussed on a message board or revealed in a review unless the compensation was extended to everyone on that sailing.

I'm not sure that it's really wrong to discuss compensation that was received. I still think it's more likely that they recognized a distinct pattern of complaining and expecting compensation that looked a bit fishy. I received compensation for issues on one cruise I took and have posted about it on here. (But then, it does meet your criteria of being something that everyone on the sailing received.)

I disagree. I feel this information should be shared. The companies know when something becomes pattern and will act accordingly.

Limiting information is not how you help all of us.

Years ago if you wrote a letter of complaint about a product they routinely sent out gifts/replacements/whatever. I know someone who wrote such letters just to get stuff and bragged about it. You don't see give aways like that anymore.

I think this is the same type of situations.

Recently when an airline went out of business an NCL cruiser missed her Hawaiian cruise. She had no insurance. NCL is in a no win situation on something like this. The cruiser was lovely and everyone hoping she'd get something. If NCL helped out this cruiser than they are opening a can of worms. Hopefully she received something and is smart enough to not post about it.

I have a friend that used to work for Carnival and she told me that the cruise lines used to share information with one another when it came to passengers who were known chronic complainers. Not sure if they still do this or not.

I have worked for 2 of the largest travel agency in the country. They keep files on those that complain, and what the resolution was. After a while all transactions are done in writing so that there is a record of what was requested, and what was done. There have been times when a client has been ask to use another agency. With technology these days, I am hoping there will be more people who are banned. It will keep the cost down for the rest of us.

Archived