labadee and Cell

Okay, I think i know this, but must ask....

I have NEVER used my cell phone before on a cruise, I don't want anyone bothering me and if there's an emergency - there's a way for family to get me. But, i'm now waiting on a call for a recent job interview and will leave in a few days. So, i will be keeping my phone on, awaiting the call. I've been reviewing all the rates for the line and the ports. I can't figure out labadee. Is the rate the royal caribbean rate since it's owned by royal or is it the dominican rebublic rate (i'm with verizon) which would be 1.29 a minute. thanks!!!!

Okay, I think i know this, but must ask....

I have NEVER used my cell phone before on a cruise, I don't want anyone bothering me and if there's an emergency - there's a way for family to get me. But, i'm now waiting on a call for a recent job interview and will leave in a few days. So, i will be keeping my phone on, awaiting the call. I've been reviewing all the rates for the line and the ports. I can't figure out labadee. Is the rate the royal caribbean rate since it's owned by royal or is it the dominican rebublic rate (i'm with verizon) which would be 1.29 a minute. thanks!!!!

It won't be the DR rate, as Labadee is in Haiti. Checking Google Maps, there doesn't appear to be much civilization near RCCL's space at Labadee, so there may be no land-based towers there.

Also, I vaguely remember hearing that the ship turned off her cell tower when in port, so that she wouldn't interfere with the land-based towers...

Good luck with the interview!

Unfortunately, my thoughts are only a guess too. But since Labadee is part of Haiti I suspect it is treated like any other port and the ship has to turn its equipment off so that phones on land do not get connected through the ships equipment.

However, if there is no cell service in that area of Haiti then maybe the ships would be allowed to keep their equipment running during their port stop at Labadee.

It won't be the DR rate, as Labadee is in Haiti. Checking Google Maps, there doesn't appear to be much civilization near RCCL's space at Labadee, so there may be no land-based towers there.

Also, I vaguely remember hearing that the ship turned off her cell tower when in port, so that she wouldn't interfere with the land-based towers...

Good luck with the interview!

thanks!!!! i'm kinda on pins and needles here waiting to hear back, which is the ONLY reason the phone will be with me and on! :-)

Archived