Crown Princess vs. Carnival Glory?

SMRivera198

I was hoping someone could share some insight on these two ships. Hubby and I have never been on either line (or any line for that matter :p ) and we're planning a cruise to the eastern caribbean for Jan. '09. We originally found the Crown Princess as our first choice, but I recently came across the Carnival Glory and was wondering which is better. Our main 'requirements' are a nice big ship with a diverse age group (we're in our mid 20's and hoping to meet others close in age) lots of dining choices, great food, lots of bars and other onboard activities. We're really not picky, we just want to have a great, romantic, memorable trip! Any info on one or both of these ships would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance for any replies.

We sailed on sister ships to both - Caribbean Princess and Carnival Liberty, as well as on many other lines (so we aren't Princess die-hards, although we are getting close) and for us it would be no question!!!

Princess is more ellegant, has better overall entertainment.. much much better pool areas - 4 against 2 on Carnival.

Princess much better suited to handle the crowds!

What do you prefer? 2 cozy adult only pools or kids jumping on your head? :D

One more thing, the reason why I am still looking at other ships after really liking what I've seen/read about the Crown Princess is that the Carnival Glory leaves out of Port Canaveral which we can fly to for very cheap vs. spending a bit more flying to Ft. Lauderdale. Also, the Carnival is cheaper overall than the Crown Princess. So I'm wondering if Princess is worth the extra $$$. Thanks again!

~Sara

We sailed on sister ships to both - Caribbean Princess and Carnival Liberty, as well as on many other lines (so we aren't Princess die-hards, although we are getting close) and for us it would be no question!!!

Princess is more ellegant, has better overall entertainment.. much much better pool areas - 4 against 2 on Carnival.

Princess much better suited to handle the crowds!

What do you prefer? 2 cozy adult only pools or kids jumping on your head? :D

I have a 2 year old daughter who does enough jumping on my head in one day to last me a lifetime :p

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should stick to my gut instinct and go Princess!

I never get tired of posting pool pictures of Carnival and Princess.

This is Princess's Movie's Under The Stars

nf40406a.jpg

On Carnival Liberty (Glory) there is also movie screen, but they don't give you nice cozy blankets and free popcorn.

Another pool area

CBNeptunesHR555.gif

Adult only pools:

85995531.YZXSQalw.jpg

sapphire_princess_pool.jpg

Carnival Liberty (they are similar)

liberty026.jpg

It's jacuzzies, pools are small ones on the background.. And people people people everywhere.

There is a back pool, but kids are free to go there

50080340.AftPoolandSpaarea.jpg

Aside from ocean and stars.. I couldn't find anything romantic about Carnival.

DH and I were tossing around the same decision for 2009 E. Carib and after checking it out a bit, decided to go with Princess. For us (2 adults and 2 children) the difference in price was only a total of 200 dollars for the cruise price. (we don't have to fly as we live in FL)

We've never gone on a Carnivl cruise but are trying to avoid them during school breaks which is when our cruise for 2009 is scheduled. That was another deciding point for us. It seems from what I've read that Carnival tends to sail with more younger crowds with lots of children on board.

We were on the Glory July 07 with our 2 teenagers. It was packed. We had a nice time, but I wouldn't consider it romantic. If you are going during school breaks there will be tons of kids. And they run the ship! Mine included. Interestingly, we are scheduled on the Crown for November. I like port days and the Crown has Grand Turk. I think there is some kind of shuttle that takes people from central and south Florida towns to Ft. Lauderdale???? I read about it somewhere on here or the Princess website. Maybe you could fly into Orlando and then shuttle to Ft. Lauderdale. I would do it the day before the cruise though, just to be sure.

I am a Princess fan, but did consider going with Carnival for my Jan 09 E. Carib cruise but just couldnt do it. I am also in my 20's and feel right at home on Princess, though the crowd is a bit older than on Carnival. There are plenty of bars on Princess, thats for sure. I cant compare to Carnival, but can tell you I am very comfortable on Princess.

I am a Princess fan, but did consider going with Carnival for my Jan 09 E. Carib cruise but just couldnt do it. I am also in my 20's and feel right at home on Princess, though the crowd is a bit older than on Carnival. There are plenty of bars on Princess, thats for sure. I cant compare to Carnival, but can tell you I am very comfortable on Princess.

We've seen more young couples in their 20-ies early 30-ies (us including) on Princess than on Carnival.. On Carnival there was more families and kids, kids, kids. Water slide was closed most of the time or there was huge line so you would see 10-15 kiddies in every jacuzzi.

Princess also has better lounge and bars entertainment.

It's kind of weird, but we enjoyed playing minigolf a lot. :o :D

If you are looking to save some money and are not picky about activities, you should go on the Glory. Carnival does have some great itineraries and I have been on the Glory's newer sister ship the past couple of years and have had a good time. We mainly picked Carnival because we go with our kids and Camp Carnival lives up to its very good reputation. Carnival also has many passengers in their 20s and early 30s and an active club scene at nights.

I have not been impressed with the activities on Carnival. They have the old staple hairy chest contest, newlywed or marriage game, and related activities but not much more of substance. Breakfasts on Carnival are awful. Lunches are okay and dinners are very good. The gyms are okay. There is mini-golf and the outdoor theater. Popcorn is an additional dollar. But free popcorn on Princess won't come close to making up for the price difference between the lines.

we just sailed on the Valor two weeks ago and we had a good time - being our first Carnival cruise we were nervous.

I will say this I wouldn't go near Carnival during spring break because I could see how it would be crazy.

We enjoyed the food, the entertainment and our overall cruise experience. Was it Princess? NO, but Princess has left FLL during the summer months and we have decided we aren't going to stop cruising so we are trying other lines.

We've seen more young couples in their 20-ies early 30-ies (us including) on Princess than on Carnival.. On Carnival there was more families and kids, kids, kids. Water slide was closed most of the time or there was huge line so you would see 10-15 kiddies in every jacuzzi.

Princess also has better lounge and bars entertainment.

It's kind of weird, but we enjoyed playing minigolf a lot. :o :D

I think you are right, I saw a lot of 20-30 somethings on my last 3 January caribbean cruses(2 Eastern, 1 Western). The atmosphere on Princess is great and so are the outdoor areas. These are the reasons I have booked a 4th straight January Cruise in a row! Oh ya, and Princess added Grand Turk to their eastern route, somewhere I have never been. Just another excuse to book.

Tatka...great pictures

After viewing your fantastic pictures I am ready to book my next cruise. We have cruised RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival and Princess and Princess is by far our favorite, but then again we are in our early sixties. Booking your cruise in January, I'm sure the average age is going to be older than the two of you.

Lunches are okay and dinners are very good.

I agree food was not a problem.. But when you have lunch only from 12 - 2 pm and almost 3.7K people on board it's a Zoo.

Our second cruise was the CB and what a horrid time we had. Well the two of us together was great, however, no hot water 4 out of 7 days, rude crew and it goes on and on. However, we decided to try it again and last year we were on the Star. What a fabulous time we had. The ship and crew were wonderful. Soooo now we are going on the Crown in October. We have a super roll call going. We are doing a 2 day to nowhere cruise on the Carnival Victory,however, I would not even try and compare the two lines with that short of cruise. We are truely die hard Princess fans. Oh and by the way on the 2 day one the only reason we considered it is we live 12 miles from the Norfolk, Va. port.:)

I'm going to throw out another option....Royal Caribbean's Voyager or Freedom Class ships....particularly if you are active. Don't get me wrong...you will love Princess. But I just think for what you seem to be looking for, RCCL would also be a great fit.

We just sailed the Mariner out of Port Canaveral in February and had an amazing time. You can do a virtual tour of their ships on their website.

Have an awesome time no matter what ship you choose.

Thanks alot to all who responded... I definitely feel confident in our original choice of the Crown Princess, when looking at those wonderful pictures, there's no doubt in my mind that Princess is the one for us :D

I also appreciate the input about the Voyager, I will look into it, but I am a bit weary when it comes to Royal Caribbean, mainly because I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise when I was very young and I ate a twice baked potato in the buffet which turned out to have scallops in it (I'm DEATHLY allergic to seafood) so I went into anaphylactic shock and spent two days in the infermary (sp?) I know a reaction could have happened on any ship, but the potato was simply labeled as a twice baked potato with no mention of anything else. It was very scary and I certainly hope that they have taken measures to better suit the need of guests with food allergies.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the replies- I am getting so excited, I wish January would hurry up and get here already!!! :p

~Sara

Thanks alot to all who responded... I definitely feel confident in our original choice of the Crown Princess, when looking at those wonderful pictures, there's no doubt in my mind that Princess is the one for us :D

I also appreciate the input about the Voyager, I will look into it, but I am a bit weary when it comes to Royal Caribbean, mainly because I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise when I was very young and I ate a twice baked potato in the buffet which turned out to have scallops in it (I'm DEATHLY allergic to seafood) so I went into anaphylactic shock and spent two days in the infermary (sp?) I know a reaction could have happened on any ship, but the potato was simply labeled as a twice baked potato with no mention of anything else. It was very scary and I certainly hope that they have taken measures to better suit the need of guests with food allergies.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the replies- I am getting so excited, I wish January would hurry up and get here already!!! :p

~Sara

Which January Crown cruise will you be taking? We board the 4th!

Been on both CB and Crown. Although they are similar in design and layout they are really worlds apart- the Crown is a much nicer ship with more amenities. You will love the Crown.

Thanks so much for your comparision on the two ships. We sailed the CB last Sebtember and just loved everything about it, and are now considering the Crown in October so you just gave me a push to get the ball rolling and make my booking for the The Crown!!!

My bf and I were booked on the Carnival Glory for this fall, but something about the Crown Princess caught our interest and we decided to book it and cancel the Glory. We've been excited ever since and can't wait to try it!!!

We were on the Carnival Legend in April, and it was a great cruise but I definitely wouldn't call it "romantic". Depsite the fact that we're younger, we're definitely more laid-back and the Carnival cruises we've been on have been a little intense for us (in terms of crowds, atmosphere, ect). We're hoping this will be a little more relaxing and the Crown just looks gorgeous! I'm hopeful that this will be exactly what we've been looking for in a cruise.

Been on both CB and Crown. Although they are similar in design and layout they are really worlds apart- the Crown is a much nicer ship with more amenities. You will love the Crown.

Don't forget the CB will be going into drydock in Jan to add on some of the amenities that the Crown has........

Archived