General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

royal caribbean is clearly advising that all upcoming cruises out of southhampton will be changed to suit british tastes exclusively. the cruise you were on was different. this is a brand new concept for rccl.

I've been following this whole "British Immersion" thing on another thread and here is my two penn'arth (that'll confuse the yanks lol)..

UP THE RED DEVILS--CHAMPIONS of England and Europe!!!

Hope your a fan from the red half of Manchester....if not, up the red devils anyway!!

...sorry, had to hijack for a minute ;) As you were.

Rahn

Having done some European land tours, we decided to stick to cruising for all of the comforts of home. I am not adverse to trying new things and learning about new cultures, but that is not why we went back to cruising. I don't know how successful this concept will be. I'm hoping NOT. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

RCI: if I want to immerse into a destination, I will take a land-based holiday. if I want to cruise, I'll take a cruise, selecting my preferred cruise line!

I prefer RCI/Celebrity brand; please don't immerse the Splendour into Latin American culture.........

I want my original RCI :D

Didn't think it wasn't working, so why change it:confused:

clotted creams not like cottage cheese. its thick enough to stick to a spoon upside down in a lump but it's really smooth. it tastes very creamy not overly sweet. its great on scones with strawberry jam. and on christmas pudding!

and dont forget a good cornish pasty!

Still haven't decided what to do but it seems with the exception of the poster who was on freighters (?) the posters who say "what's the big deal? It would be great to be "immersed" or why would you go there" haven't been there. None of them say they have a personal experience to share. The ones who DO have first hand experience hated it. I have been to Asia on a cruise and Loved it, hence my desire to do it again. But we went ashore and had translaters available even on our overnights to Beijing and Xi'an, there were English speaking guides. We are being told now that Chinese will be the primary language on this cruise and English speaking excursions are not guaranteed so the experience will be analogous to the lone Chinese couple on an English speaking ship. However, they would have intentionally booked that. And haven't we all seen them looking dazed and confused?

What were they thinking? What an absolutely disastrous PR situation to subject people who have already booked and paid for air transport which they will lose if they cancel.

If this is what they planned to do, it should have been announced at least a year in advance so that we actually can make a choice. The management who let this one proceed this far was obviously not thinking clearly. All one has to do is to read the multiple threads on this to see that they have the makings of a mutiny on their hands. Even some of the Brits sailing on Independence out of S'hampton have said if they wanted "Immersion" they would have booked Ocean Village or Fred Olsen :(

clotted creams not like cottage cheese. its thick enough to stick to a spoon upside down in a lump but it's really smooth. it tastes very creamy not overly sweet. its great on scones with strawberry jam. and on christmas pudding!

and dont forget a good cornish pasty!

YUM, YUM, my favorite way.:)

Used by strippers from Cornwall?:p :D :p

A female friend of mine was checking into a hotel in England and the chap at the check-in counter asked her if she wanted to be "knocked up" in the morning. (he meant, do you want a wake-up call).

Mike

Are you sure that's what he meant??!!:)

Most British hoteliers would ask do you want a wake up call!

I remember shortly after we emigrated, my dad asked the guy he worked next to if he could borrow his rubber!!! You can imagine the look he got...the guy told him he could just keep it!!! LOL, my dad was a very shy guy so you can only imagine the shocked expression when the guy handed him a condom!!!!

Sorry to disappoint you.

The April Med cruise had PAX erom 51 countries.

There were only 520 americans on board.

Even less on the TA.

Seems that we are short off money and the cruise line advertise heavenly in other countries.

Europe and South America.

Now I am really worried that my ship is going to change to this??? If my Celebrity cruise to the Baltic's changes in a couple months, I am not going to be happy!

Hi Stephanie, if I was you, I wouldn't worry about total immersion in the Baltic. I feel that RCI is trying to expand their options and Asia looks a prime market. On our Santos-Lisbon transatlantic we were unfortunate that there were just over 300 English speaking guests on board and everything was geared to the Brazilian contingent. We've done the Baltic and there's absolutely no cause for concern. You'll love it.

Sorry to disappoint you.

The April Med cruise had PAX erom 51 countries.

There were only 520 americans on board.

Even less on the TA.

Seems that we are short off money and the cruise line advertise heavenly in other countries.

Europe and South America.

Yes, if the U.S. Dollar keeps sinking, this will probably become far more common an occurence.

Archived