WiFi on Celebrity

BeCruiser

I am sailing Century in September ( Mediterranean) and I see that the staterooms have Wi-Fi. Anyone know how much they charge for that???

Hi BeCruiser !

I think it is .65 (maybe .70) cents per minute. The good news is, you can buy packages of minutes that will bring the cost down, though they are non-refundable, so buy what you feel you will use. The more you buy, the bigger the discount.

Enjoy your Cruise !

We are on vacation, as the title says for all of this. Work and other stuff can wait until we get home same with special (GSM) cell phone.

Why do people always have to respond with this snotty answer? He asked a question not YOUR opinion on how you spend a vacation.

HERE is the answer to the question asked:

Do you have Internet access onboard?

Subject: Internet Access

All of our ships have Internet Cafes. Internet access is available in the Internet Café 24 hours a day until 6:00 AM on debarkation Day.

Wireless access points are located in several areas around the ship. To access wireless internet, you will need to bring along your own laptop.

In order to take advantage of this service, the guest must bring their own laptop, which must have the following requirements:

• Windows-based operating systems

• Internal modem

• Dial-up Internet capabilities

• Wireless access card.

Internet minutes are available at 5 different rates:

• $0.65 cents per minute with no package.

• $40 for 75 minutes

• $60 for 125 minutes

• $80 for 185 minutes

• $100 for 260 minutes.

Hootsie, one correction on your information. Windows is not required. I brought my new Mac Air last month on Constellation and the wifi worked just fine. There are a few hot spots and some areas where you won't get a signal at all. If your cabin is mid ship, you should get a pretty good signal, but if your cabin is far forward or aft, chances of getting a signal is pretty slim.

Prices for using wifi is the same as if you used Celebrity's own computers.

Hootsie, one correction on your information. Windows is not required. I brought my new Mac Air last month on Constellation and the wifi worked just fine. There are a few hot spots and some areas where you won't get a signal at all. If your cabin is mid ship, you should get a pretty good signal, but if your cabin is far forward or aft, chances of getting a signal is pretty slim.

Prices for using wifi is the same as if you used Celebrity's own computers.

Hi Darcie,:)

The OP was referring to Century and this ship has in-cabin WiFi throughout the ship. Prices are as posted on this thread and as of late March when we sailed her they had just completed an upgrade of the Internet access onboard. The speed boost made the internet speed far faster than any other ship we’ve sailed. I would say closer to std. DSL than the typical fast dialup norm I’ve experienced on other ships.

Joel

Hi Hootsie !

I know what you mean. It is a shame that some posters do not understand that some of us (myself included) MUST stay in touch with my office. Many others need to stay in touch with their families. It's all good. I manage many millions of dollars for my clients, and I always make myself available, even when I am on vacation. I know of others in my industry who can walk away from everything when on vacation, but I am not one of those types of professionals. Loyalty and Professionalism mean everything to me. Maybe that's why I am still going strong, after 28 years in the business.

Thankfully, the internet has evolved to a point where I can stay in touch. For those who do not need to stay in touch, I envy you.... but I am thankful the option is there for those of us who truly need it.

Hi Hootsie !

I know what you mean. It is a shame that some posters do not understand that some of us (myself included) MUST stay in touch with my office. Many others need to stay in touch with their families. It's all good. I manage many millions of dollars for my clients, and I always make myself available, even when I am on vacation. I know of others in my industry who can walk away from everything when on vacation, but I am not one of those types of professionals. Loyalty and Professionalism mean everything to me. Maybe that's why I am still going strong, after 28 years in the business.

Thankfully, the internet has evolved to a point where I can stay in touch. For those who do not need to stay in touch, I envy you.... but I am thankful the option is there for those of us who truly need it.

Totally agree, Andy! My DH is VP in a very popular internet company and will check his email every couple days while on a cruise. Do I care? NO, we're still on a cruise. I'll also check in with who is watching our pets because I would freak out if I didn't know they were ok.

We also send photos to friends/family a couple times during our vacation.

Does the internet ruin my vacation? Not in the least, it actually makes it better for us because we know we can get in touch with people when we need to. WAY less worry this way.

Count me in as someone who has to keep in touch with the office. It's the only way I'm allowed out of the office for 14 nights for anything, and a small sacrifice I don't mind making to get away from them.

For the OP, I want to pass on a lesson I learned the hard way on my last cruise. On previous cruises, before Celebrity took over the internet operations, I was able to purchase the lowest package available, and then upgrade to the next level package. This time around, I was not able to do that. I would recommend purchasing the largest amount of minutes available (in this case, the $100 package), if you will be checking e-mail a lot. It's amazing how fast you can use up your minutes.

I brought my laptop on my last cruise (a whole month ago...:( ) and the connection was pretty good. Similar to using the wifi network in public parks here in NYC.

Oh, and I think no Skype and something else on board Celebrity due to connectivity issues.

Hello

Maybe it is possible to take your laptop of the ship in ports, and use it in town.

That will maybe bring down the cost ?

Is this possible.

Math

Yes, this is possible if you want to drag your laptop off the ship. We've done it when we had specific things we had to do and either found an internet cafe with access or occasionally free access.

Archived