Is RCCL leaving Bayonne?

was searching for something else and came across a post on http://www.nj.com/forums/bayonne/

28002. Royal Carribean leaving Bayonne!! Another loss

by mrinformer, 5/22/08 11:51 ET

for Bayonne interms for jobs, taxes, and business...

Not sure why RC is leaving need to get more information..

When will the city officials get serious and go after business...

There is some serious lack of vision I say with some people in the city government..

Is there any long term plan on the types of industry, job creating entities we want in town??

i and a few others have stated that the city should attract green industry, high tech, blah blah...

I wonder if really any one is looking at this... Do they have a clue??

Other towns, states are looking forward yet i feel Payone is looking backward?

am i just completely out of the loop or is this news? also is it true?

I live in Bayonne part-time (long story). Anyway, there has been no mention of this in the Community News or other source of information for residents. I doubt they are leaving, since they have put alot of time and money into the facility.

I live in Bayonne part-time (long story). Anyway, there has been no mention of this in the Community News or other source of information for residents. I doubt they are leaving, since they have put alot of time and money into the facility.

It's definitely not true. RCCL recently released a press release they are sailing from Bayonne throughout 2010:D The source/website that is posted is always full of crazy gossip/rumors for years, just ignore it:D

Here's the RCCL press release released in April 2008:D

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/pressCenter/pressReleases/info.do;jsessionid=0000g5vhd5cWmvxdQKV1xgTndkl:12hbioan0?prDate=04-22-2008&prCode=A

"Explorer of the Seas will continue its third consecutive year-round deployment at Cape Liberty sailing Eastern and Southern Caribbean itineraries, ranging from eight to 12 nights. A special 14-night holiday cruise departs December 20, 2009. ":D

Maybe but its our war zone and as long as it's gets us on the ship, we are happy!:D

Exactly...it's a war zone that eliminates me spending time and money on a flight to Florida...I love it! I just wish they would switch ships...How many times can I go on the Explorer?

:-)

granted, bayonne isn't the prettiest port in the world but it works for me also and so i don't really care what it looks like. i was concerned because the chat appeared to have evolved from some community meeting; anyway i will gladly ignore it. And, yes give us more ships -- the pickings are slim these days.

Exactly...it's a war zone that eliminates me spending time and money on a flight to Florida...I love it! I just wish they would switch ships...How many times can I go on the Explorer?

I would also like to see them add a few new ports to the 9 nighter. Its the main reason why I am not going again January 2010.

The economic trick is to sell enough stuff on the way down to Florida and back up to Bayonne after the Caribbean portion. HAL is pretty much abandoning the NY market for long cruises down South because the old folks who populate HAL don't drink, gamble,etc. enough to raise the revenue to cover the fuel costs in getting the ship up and down the East coast. So they will do fall foliage trips where they can cover their costs but no more tropical runs from Manhattan.

And that is a shame since I have 500,000 Marriot Miles available to buy cruises on either HAL:) or Carnival:eek: .

Explorer, on the other hand, has lots of hearty party types. I'll drink to that. :D . Just one the whole trip. They ain't getting rich on us teetolarers

You bet Mel! :D

As long as it's an RCCL ship I'll cruise on it out of Bayonne as its just so easy for us!:)

The economic trick is to sell enough stuff on the way down to Florida and back up to Bayonne after the Caribbean portion. HAL is pretty much abandoning the NY market for long cruises down South because the old folks who populate HAL don't drink, gamble,etc. enough to raise the revenue to cover the fuel costs in getting the ship up and down the East coast. So they will do fall foliage trips where they can cover their costs but no more tropical runs from Manhattan.

And that is a shame since I have 500,000 Marriot Miles available to buy cruises on either HAL:) or Carnival:eek: .

Explorer, on the other hand, has lots of hearty party types. I'll drink to that. :D . Just one the whole trip. They ain't getting rich on us teetolarers

I was sorry to see HAL leaving NY as I would have liked to try them ( marriott points too) as they had interesting ports but I emailed them about cruises in 2009 and I received an email back stating that the port fees in NY were too high so they would not be sailing from there in the future and they listed the other ports they sail from. I'm just glad RCCL moved to Bayonne instead of leaving and I do very well using the RCCL Visa card with them for OBC:D

I was sorry to see HAL leaving NY as I would have liked to try them ( marriott points too) as they had interesting ports but I emailed them about cruises in 2009 and I received an email back stating that the port fees in NY were too high so they would not be sailing from there in the future and they listed the other ports they sail from. I'm just glad RCCL moved to Bayonne instead of leaving and I do very well using the RCCL Visa card with them for OBC:D

Yes, the semi-retired TA who mentioned the lack of revenue for the extended up/down runs also discussed NY's very high port charges. But I had already heard that years ago, which led RCCL to move RCI and X to Bayonne. I wonder if NY charges the same fees at Brooklyn as the West 46-52 Street piers?

Yes, the semi-retired TA who mentioned the lack of revenue for the extended up/down runs also discussed NY's very high port charges. But I had already heard that years ago, which led RCCL to move RCI and X to Bayonne. I wonder if NY charges the same fees at Brooklyn as the West 46-52 Street piers?

Hi,

I wonder what kind of ''contract $$$ '' CCL had negotiated for its Cunard & Princess operations in N.Y ???:eek: How about NCL, not the wealthiest link in the chain....: Is N.Y. charging them ''full up'' ??:rolleyes:

Interesting....

Cheers

:)

I'm not sure about Brooklyn but a few of the HAL cruises I looked at were sold out so I thought they were doing well there but you are right, onboard revenue is where they make the real money and if they were not doing well with that coupled with high fees to NY, it makes sense they left.

Archived