Is RCCL leaving Bayonne?

Yes, I buy everything with the RCCL Visa card. I pay it off each month, and I use the OBC's which really come in very handy, especially since I'm retired. :)

You bet and the points add up quicky and it doesn't cost me anything:) Great way to build up a good OBC for each cruise:)

Hi,

I wonder what kind of ''contract $$$ '' CCL had negotiated for its Cunard & Princess operations in N.Y ???:eek: How about NCL, not the wealthiest link in the chain....: Is N.Y. charging them ''full up'' ??:rolleyes:

Interesting....

Cheers

:)

I believe its $19.00 per person per transitional(19 on 19 off). I didn't think the reason for the move to Bayonne had anything to do with money but the fact the City which owned the piers in Manhattan was so sloooow to modernize the piers. It took the move to Bayonne by RC to get the city off its duff and commit to modernize the piers and open piers in Brooklyn(also owned by NY City) to handle larger ships. The CG would not give approval to lengthen the Manhattan Piers.

NCL's contract with NY City gives them rebates if more than x passengers are accommodated in NY-either at Manhattan or Brooklyn although NCL has not used the one Brooklyn pier(so far-the city has purchased the lease out on another pier it owns in Brooklyn and told the lessee of another pier that it will not be renewed sometime to make a total of 3 piers available in Brooklyn). The Brooklyn Pier has been almost exclusively used by Cunard and Princess. NCL I believe carries more NY embarked passengers than any other cruise line.

If there are any issues in the NY port its the cost of Fuel to make high speed runs to the Carribe in winter.

see for example

http://www.nycedc.com/Web/PressRoom/PressReleases/Atlantic+Basin.htm

also pier 14(the Snapple pier) immediately south of Pier 12-the current Brooklyn Cruise terminal- has been purchased for future cruise operations.

There have been "issues" around the NJ operation. The over painting of the cars by the marine operation next door has caused a lot of problems. There was at one time a theft ring operating out of the parking lot for the Bayonne Cruise terminal. I believe both of these has been resolved. The fact that the passengers have to be bused from the Bayonne cruise terminal to the ships(its too far to walk) have caused added costs.

one more point- the other costs to Bayonne are the same as Manhattan or Brooklyn. Its the same Sandy Hook Pilots-its the same fuel from Barges from NJ its probably easier for the food purveyors to get to NJ but they are used to NY Ports and haven't been a problem for Brooklyn. They all use the same fuel bunker oil except princess which has gas turbine engines that use aviation fuel(they once delivered the wrong fuel to a Princess ship out of Brooklyn-it caused a one day delay as they had to pump it out-it never made it to the engines)...

with the airline charging alot of money for baggage rccl should put two ships in bayonne or rccl should make a contract with the airline for royalcaribbean customer becouse going on a 7 day cruise you need alot of clothes on suitcase is not enough

Got that right! ;)

Me too!!! Any more, flying is going to be e bigger pain in the you know what....thus, I can drive an hour to my ship!

(now, can we have another one please??? and go some ofther places??? :confused: :D :cool: )

And that is a shame since I have 500,000 Marriot Miles available to buy cruises on either HAL:) or Carnival:eek: .

hey Boop....have you checked out the "redeem for anything" program marriott offers???

I have a lot, not as many as you.......(and i will use them for a marriott land/air package, or just for FF miles to Europe if we do a Trans Atlantic...) but you may want to check it out......

i don't care WHAT the port looks like...all i do is GET ON THE SHIP!!!

We love sailing out of Bayonne ... even though we live in PA, we can get to Bayonne (low traffic times) within 1 hour. It's easier than driving into NYC, and it's certainly easier than getting out of NYC!

Yes, it's not the most attractive port, but the ease in an out is worth it.

Plus, having to fly to cruises, has not be our favorite part of cruises.

That having been said, I'm guessing my husband and I may be the reason cruiselines don't make money ... we never have a bar tab. We purchase 1 photo. We don't gamble, but boy oh boy to we have fun (and get our money's worth!)

I gues I'm old, cheap and looking forward to sailing out of Bayonne soon!

I believe its $19.00 per person per transitional(19 on 19 off). I didn't think the reason for the move to Bayonne had anything to do with money but the fact the City which owned the piers in Manhattan was so sloooow to modernize the piers. It took the move to Bayonne by RC to get the city off its duff and commit to modernize the piers and open piers in Brooklyn(also owned by NY City) to handle larger ships. The CG would not give approval to lengthen the Manhattan Piers.

NCL's contract with NY City gives them rebates if more than x passengers are accommodated in NY-either at Manhattan or Brooklyn although NCL has not used the one Brooklyn pier(so far-the city has purchased the lease out on another pier it owns in Brooklyn and told the lessee of another pier that it will not be renewed sometime to make a total of 3 piers available in Brooklyn). The Brooklyn Pier has been almost exclusively used by Cunard and Princess. NCL I believe carries more NY embarked passengers than any other cruise line.

If there are any issues in the NY port its the cost of Fuel to make high speed runs to the Carribe in winter.

see for example

http://www.nycedc.com/Web/PressRoom/PressReleases/Atlantic+Basin.htm

also pier 14(the Snapple pier) immediately south of Pier 12-the current Brooklyn Cruise terminal- has been purchased for future cruise operations.

There have been "issues" around the NJ operation. The over painting of the cars by the marine operation next door has caused a lot of problems. There was at one time a theft ring operating out of the parking lot for the Bayonne Cruise terminal. I believe both of these has been resolved. The fact that the passengers have to be bused from the Bayonne cruise terminal to the ships(its too far to walk) have caused added costs.

I know you hang around the CC section homeports and are one of the resident experts on the East coast section. Your knowledge of background info is great.

The congestion at the West side piers before Bayonne and Brooklyn opened was insane. 4-5 LARGE ships carrying 3000 + pax each. Sometimes the traffic backed up for a mile getting onto the pier for drop off and pick up.

Can you imagine Explorer, QM II, CB, Victory and Spirit all docked on a Sunday, madness.

We are going into the city now to check out the guided missle ships docked there as part of fleet week.

I know you hang around the CC section homeports and are one of the resident experts on the East coast section. Your knowledge of background info is great.

The congestion at the West side piers before Bayonne and Brooklyn opened was insane. 4-5 LARGE ships carrying 3000 + pax each. Sometimes the traffic backed up for a mile getting onto the pier for drop off and pick up.

Can you imagine Explorer, QM II, CB, Victory and Spirit all docked on a Sunday, madness.

We are going into the city now to check out the guided missle ships docked there as part of fleet week.

Thanks I really can't imagine what would happen if an NCL F3 and a RCCL Freedom class were there at the same time....The QM2 even though its a large ship doesn't carry that many people.

but it still wasn't a money issue.

enjoy your day

NCL has a 10-year signed contract with NY to use its piers, so they aren't going anywhere else.

The NY piers cannot accommodate the larger ships thus the reason for both Brooklyn and Bayonne. QM2 had a limited exemption from the CG to dock in NYC but it has expired. The QM2 extended the dock in NYC by over 300 + feet.

Both Bayonne and Brooklyn have had designs to build additional piers at both locations. But one thing or another has slowed the progress.

With the domestic airlines in such a sorry state, it is the perfect time for cruise lines to sail more voyages from "home" ports that do not involve flying to get to them.

If a line is not doing well with its on board sales of liquor, may be they should look into selling a wider variety of merchandise on board, or look at the selling price of liquor (could be considered too high). Less and less passengers are willing to fly to board a ship domestically. If you have a family of 4-6, figure out what the additional airline costs are just to check in one bag per person round trip. Add in the new higher airline fare charges, and you want to know why people don't want to fly to board a ship? This is the perfect time for the cruise lines to capitalize on the non flyers and create more sailings out of the tri-state area.

Bayonne does look like a war zone but it is not the cruise line fault. When I inquired about who is actually responsible for the appearance and facilities there, I was told it is the Port Authority of NY/NJ who is responsible. Passengers need to contact them regardind upgrading the facilites there, especially the older non kneeling buses that are being used from the pier to the ship. They would be better off using electric golf carts that could be recharged cheaper than the buses and are easier for passengers to get into. For the amount of passengers, there is a shortage of buses to accommodate everyone. Handicapped passengers need to wait for special buses. What a waste of money and time! Just use one type of bus that can handle everyone. We had one of the older NJ Transit buses where you could hardly turn around once you climbed the steps (much too high off the ground in the first place) without hitting every passenger as you attempted to get to a seat. Almost everyone was sitting alone using the adjoining seat to hold their hand carries. Each bus only had 10-12 passengers. Even the tour tram type of transport would be better for everyone.

MARAPRINCE

Its not the NY NJ Port authority. They don't have anything to do with any of the cruise terminal piers. The Pier in Bayonne is run by the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority (BLRA) . The Pier in Manhattan is owned and run by the NY City Economic development corp,. The pier in Brooklyn is originally leased by the City EDC to the Port Authority which leased in Back to NY City-don't ask me why I just report these things. While the NYNJ port authority does run some of the container piers, it also runs and runs the NY-NJ tunnels and Bridges and the three NY airports(I think it also owns the airport in Stewart NY)...

It has almost noting to do with the cruise terminals

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/

Me too!!! Any more, flying is going to be e bigger pain in the you know what....thus, I can drive an hour to my ship!

(now, can we have another one please??? and go some ofther places??? :confused: :D :cool: )

And stop WAAAAY overcharging for cruises to Bermuda?

Just back from our expedition into the city.

The Navy ships were off limits to the public today! Bummer! They will be giving tours tomorrow, Monday. The Navy ships docked at Staten Island were open to the public today. I guess with three passenger ships in and loading and unloading pax, would have been too much confusion running a line to get on to the amphibious assault vehicle thru the security fence. It looked like an aircraft carrier with a big flat top and had an Osprey with lifted wings parked up front. I will post my pics to webshots later.

We could not get close enough to the damaged ship to see, it was a madhouse.

And, in line with our discussion on congestion, the Van limos were dropping their passengers off on West End Avenue, a short crosstown block to West Street (the pier street). We saw dozens of pax with rolling luggage trundling down W. 50th and W 52nd Streets.

The Freedom docked at W. 50th when it was introduced in 2006 but it was not a revenue stop, just showing the ship off for a couple hours. Some of the people on board got off and missed the ship as it pulled out to go to back to Bayonne but they were New Yahwkers and headed for the subway to hook up with PATH and get back to Joisey.

Fleet week pics, mostly Navy and the street. You have to get up high to shoot over the security fence which means W. 44th street and the Intrepid bridge over West Street

There are plenty of nice pics of all the ships coming in earlier last week.

http://www.cnrma.navy.mil/fleetweek/photos8.htm

Visiting the ships:

http://www.cnrma.navy.mil/fleetweek/faqs.htm

Howard

Archived