I went to Capri last year, not on a cruise but as part of a tour, and wow, what a beautiful place!! We had a tour guide who walked us around and pointed out some stuff, including Sophia Loren's villa, or whatever it is called!:p We also walked along and saw all the shops we wished we could afford to shop in!:D We also did some kind of a little boat tour that took us partways around the island. They pointed out different things to us, etc. I've got a few pictures if you want to see them! Sorry, i'm afraid i didnt answer your question, did i?:o

As long as the garbage strike continues in Naples it would be well worth getting as far away from that stinking cesspool as possible. If Vesuvius/Pompeii/Herculaneum isn't of any interest to you, Capri is probably a good option.

wondering if it is worth the time to go to capri. what is there to do there if you don't want to do the beaches:confused:

thanks

madi

Get on a small boat from the pier and go see the blue grotto. This is amazing. Make sure you take a bus up to AnaCapri (the top of the hill) and walk back down to the port. There is a beautiful view from the Ceasar Augustus hotel in AnaCapri (the hotel you can see on the cliff from the port in Capri) that allows for great sunsets and views out over to Naples. Buy some of the local ceramics that include lemons on everything. I also remember a small beach/cove that the Romans used on the far side of the near a summer villa for the rich and famous.

Hope this helps;)

I also visited Capri as part of a tour (not a cruise). It is beautiful. The view from the top of the hill is spectacular. There are plenty of shops and restaurants. I think it would be worth it just to walk and enjoy the scenery. The beaches are fabulous but that's not all there is to do in Capri.

I went to Capri last summer as a tour, not a cruise. It was absolutely beautiful. We did a mini-cruise around the island. It was so nice. I loved looking in the shops. And the gardens there, across from the perfumeria, are breathtaking! It would be well worth it.

Rome, (on a different subject) was terribly disappointing to me. It was nasty and dirty and trashy and no attempt to clean it up is made, except for the years when the pope does his thing. Even the vatican had overflowing trash and graffiti, etc. Big disappointment.

Oh my God - do not miss an opportunity to see Capri! It is so very beautiful - take the funucilare to the top and the view is spectacular! Here is a website with some photos - absolutely breathtaking. You can just leisurely sit at a cafe and have an espresso or a limoncello and just take in the view and the wonderful smells. Flowers everywhere! You can visit the Gardens of Augustus....If you like to shop, this is world class designer shopping central. It is also the playground for the rich and famous.

Bratgirl - As for Rome - I simply adore it! Yes, there is graffiti, but you have to look beyond that. It is just amazing to walk on the cobbled streets where men walked 2,000 years ago. It is so very walkable and a discovery at each turn.

As you can see, I'm obsessed with Italy - we did a bus tour for our 30 Anniversary in 2005.

Here are some pictures of Capri we took:

IMG_0851.jpg.60f9bdfad93833923977acd7ad41f74e.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg.f8f38a21827f77e5f4fe6cbd3171d827.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg.787d10c13b3d62a02aac5c46b1454276.jpg

As others have already stated, it is a very beautiful place. We had a terrible experience there however, as we were there on a holiday and the crowds at the end of the day trying to all take the trams down the mountain at the same time was a huge mess. We we lucky to get down in time to catch the last ship leaving the island for the day!

DaveOKC

• 1 month later...

Bcnorth, Sounds terrific! Did you do this all on your own from a CCL? Did you book anything ahead? Is it easy to catch a ferry from Naples to Capri? The small boat that you caught at the pier, how many does this boat hold? About how long of a trip is the blue grotto, how do we pay, what is the fee? As you can see I am very new to this. Any other tips? Thanks!

Victoria (Vicalloni)

The OP makes me smile, because its difficult to answer. Probably the best answer would be "it all depends on what makes you happy." A good friend of ours finally got to Paris last year and hated the place (its one of our favorite places in the world). Why did he hate Paris? Because he told us it was old! We have spent quite a lot of time staying on the Amalfi Coast, and always spend a full day on Capri. We go because we find the island beautiful, fun, we enjoy browsing the shops and high-end stores (we are talking Rodeo Drive quality), taking the chair lift from Anacapri up Mt Solara, having a nice lunch in a well-located outdoor cafe, etc. On the other hand, if you do not like beauty, walking, shopping, food, or atmosphere certainly do not go to this island.

Hank

Take the bus or funicular up to the top and be sure to walk all the way across the island to the back side. The view is the one with the tall rocks in the sea that one normally sees in photos and paintings associated with Capri. The above is correct - do not plan to leave at the last minute as the lines for the downhill trip can get long - be sure to get your ticket before getting in line and the ferries can be an adventure if they decide to leave before all are on board. However, the next one comes right along in a few minutes.

It is a beautiful place. You will enjoy it.

Don't miss Capri...We hired a taxi driver from the stand to take us around the island. He showed us churches,famous peoples homes, stunning views,etc.etc. It was 80 euro for a family of 5 for 4 hours. Expensive yes,but well worth it. He also took us to a nice restaurant for lunch & showed us his own house. His name was Benito and his English was great. :)

It is a beautiful spot. The Blue Grotto is amazing. Go to the top and also take a boat around the island. We never even saw a beach for swimming and wouldn't have been interested anyway.

Be sure to sample the cream Limoncello - yummy and I almost never have any alcohol but this was sooooo good.

Archived