WHY is RCCL leaving Galveston????

Anyone know why RCCL has no permanent itinerary from Galveston. I see the Voyager is going to the Med and then returning for the winters. Any rumors about a possible replacement ship? This is a real bummer!

broke our heart and stomped that sucker flat!

As long as Europe is red hot, we will not get a year round ship.

We have faith in RCI that someone will smack them up side the head and they will give us our well deserved year round ship!!!

Quitchurbellyachin!! At least you will have a ship in Galveston 'part-time' - and a bunch of friends and I will be on her for the Mardi Gras Cruise in 2009 (departing 2/2/09!).

RCCL brought Grandeur back to New Orleans for one (count 'em on both hands - 1) season after Katrina and has since abandoned New Orleans all-together!

It's all about the $$$ and the USA is falling far behind other areas in the world that have more $$$ available for luxuries like cruising. AND they are charging those folks a lot more than we pay for a similar cruise!! Check the price differences for a cruise in Europe or South America vs an out & back from Miami. Almost double on a daily rate basis for a similar ship!! :eek:

We sailed on the Transatlantic on the Voyager, the cruise director stated that they can make a lot more money in the Mediterainian for the summer than they can in Texas. We have to remember that this is a business, and every cruiseline is doing the same thing.

Happy sailing

Brian J

With all the new builds, I'll bet we have a full time ship again in 2010. But as others have said, Europe is hot and that is where the money is. With the economy the way it is, the dollar sinking overseas and gas prices out of control, if Americans flat out stop going to Europe and they can't fill the ships over there, they'll be back even faster.

As long as keeping a ship in Texas in the summer is less profitable than keeping the ship elsewhere, the ship will move in the summer. The shareholders of the corporation should expect no less than the maximization of profit. Passenger's wishes are always second to profit.

So I asked that same question to Adam Goldstein via email. His response:

........Thank you very much for sailing with Royal Caribbean. We are constantly evaluating our deployment overall and Galveston in particular. Unfortunately in this time frame we cannot justify a year-round presence. This may change as we grow but it could not happen before the winter of 2010/2011. In the mean time, I look forward to having you and your friends onboard with us.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

They are leaving Texas because people couldn't immerse themselves into that texas drawl properly :D

I knew people had a hard time understanding me when I was in the Trivia games! Guess I will have to get a New York accent ;)

Where you cruising next?

I am guessing!

I do not think RCI or Carnivor will move there. Both have long term contracts with Galveston. Both have recently invested in their port facilities.

Remember, the new pier being built is being built with taxpayer money. If ships do not come, the taxpayers are not smart enough to throw out the politicians who spent their money!

Disagree? Anyone notice how the old guys in Washington that won't drill and have us paying $4.00 a gallon don't care? Why should local politicians care?

The ports are not the problem.

The problem is you are limited to the Western Caribbean run and how many times can you fill up a vessel with repeat customers.

Supply and Demand

Profits are better elsewhere and marketing is also cheaper for cruises else where.

With all the new builds, I'll bet we have a full time ship again in 2010. But as others have said, Europe is hot and that is where the money is. With the economy the way it is, the dollar sinking overseas and gas prices out of control, if Americans flat out stop going to Europe and they can't fill the ships over there, they'll be back even faster.

I don't know. They are trying to provide guests with new destinations such as South America, Asia, Australia, with is where more ships are going. They are also focusing on Europe, Brilliance is even there year around.

And don't forget about phasing old ships out such as the Sovereign in October, and probably more to come, such as Monarch and Majesty.

I don't think RCI is focusing on the or will focus on Texas for a while.

Oh well, guess I'll have to be a CCL gal for a while :mad: , it's just too easy to drive to Galveston from Houston. I like to cruise in May-before the kids get out of school and before hurricane season. And dang......just when I went Diamond!

Westie - try Voyager in April before she leaves. It's a really nice ship and we had a great time on her. We went right after spring break and the passenger mix was very nice. We were really impressed with the flow and were happily surprised that the ship never really seemed too crowded.

The ports are not the problem.

The problem is you are limited to the Western Caribbean run and how many times can you fill up a vessel with repeat customers.

Supply and Demand

Profits are better elsewhere and marketing is also cheaper for cruises else where.

I live within a 4 hour drive to Galveston and have cruised out of there 3 times with Carnival. I am simply tired of the Western itinerary. I will be sailing with RCI for the first time this July (Eastern-Marnier) because I love the Eastern itinerary and I am tired of Carnival..however, with the cost of airfare to Florida from Texas, I am afraid that I will be back in Galveston next year and sailing Carnival again..my fear is that I will LOVE RCI and I will have no options unless I want to pay for airfare...I REALLY wish that they would/could do Eastern routes from Galveston!

I live within a 4 hour drive to Galveston and have cruised out of there 3 times with Carnival. I am simply tired of the Western itinerary. I will be sailing with RCI for the first time this July (Eastern-Marnier) because I love the Eastern itinerary and I am tired of Carnival..however, with the cost of airfare to Florida from Texas, I am afraid that I will be back in Galveston next year and sailing Carnival again..my fear is that I will LOVE RCI and I will have no options unless I want to pay for airfare...I REALLY wish that they would/could do Eastern routes from Galveston!

I wanted to try something different than the Western also. Just got back from the Mexican Riviera on the Vision. In my opinion, that area does not compare to the Caribbean and it was COLD. Had to wrap up to sit on the balcony once we were a little further north. Did the Eastern itinerary on the Mariner in 2006. You will LOVE it! The Mariner is a fantastic ship. And, I'm afraid your fear is correct- you will not want to go back to CCL, RCCL is a step up. So, I too am stuck with CCL if I want to be on the ship an hour after leaving home. I may try the Voyager before she leaves as suggested above.

Archived