Same flight # but change of aircraft; will my luggage make it?

junglejane

My family is flying PHX-ATL-VCE in three weeks. As the date draws nearer, I admit I'm starting to obsess about certain things. One of them is Delta losing some or all of our luggage. We are on Flight #180. We have the same flight number for both segments, even though we have a 2 hour layover in Atlanta where we apparently change terminals and aircraft. I have visions of my luggage not making it from one aircraft to the other. Does the fact that I have the same flight number but two different aircraft increase the chance of Delta screwing up? Or do I just run whatever is the normal risk of baggage mishandling?

--Junglejane

You should be in good shape as long as you are not cutting it close at the START of your journey....since all luggage must be inspected by the TSA, you want to allow enough time before your first departure to be sure that it gets on your origination flight. 2 hours for a connect at ATL would be fine.

As a check, look at the luggage tag before it goes down the belt at PHX. Does it say VCE in big letters? If so, don't stress -- DL will move your bags properly.

You should be in good shape as long as you are not cutting it close at the START of your journey....since all luggage must be inspected by the TSA, you want to allow enough time before your first departure to be sure that it gets on your origination flight. 2 hours for a connect at ATL would be fine.

As a check, look at the luggage tag before it goes down the belt at PHX. Does it say VCE in big letters? If so, don't stress -- DL will move your bags properly.

Flyertalker do you still have your post that shares your tips for ensuring ones luggage has the best possible chance at making it to your final destination? When I first joined here it was your tips that put my mind at ease. The intinerary in the front pocket of my suitcases has been a huge hit with those that have seen my luggage. I use bright neon green duct tape across that pocket and write "Itinerary Enclosed". It gets me alot of comments from people who think it's a great idea. I saved that post of yours for a long time and now I have no clue where I put it but I will forever be greatful to you for your shared tips. It's been awhile since I've seen them posted so if you have them saved somewhere can you post them again for anyone new to cruising or the boards? :) Thank you again!

2 hours are ample time to transfer luggage.

At your first check-in, make sure the luggages are "checked-thru" VCE - that is, your luggage tags, as well as your claim checks, should show both ATL and VCE.

I don't think you will have any problem. I have a booking ABQ ALT FCO this coming August. Make sure to get checked in at the Airport two hours before your flight leaves. I had a flight three years ago out of Phoenix to Munich and I remember the security line backing up while at Bar Harbor Airport. We had plenty of time and ever let some people ahead of us that were cutting their flights too close. On that flight our plane was delayed one hour because of bad weather back east. We arrived in Atlanta with 45 minutes to spare and still made our connecting flight with Air France. If you should have a flight delay be sure to know how to get around the Atlanta Air port terminals. This airport is big but easy to change terminals. I wouldn't worry. Just know what to do and where to go. Tim

FYI, The majority of international flights depart from the E concourse. Two hours, if all goes well, will give you enough time to transfer terminals, grab a snack, and go through the duty free shop.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I had a flight three years ago out of Phoenix to Munich and I remember the security line backing up while at Bar Harbor Airport.

I think you meant Sky Harbor, the airport for Phoenix. Bar Harbor airport has about 14,000 departing passengers a year, about 40 per day. Shouldn't be too big of a security line....;)

Archived