ok. I'm Not scared to ask the Tough Questions

erikishere

Is, or is not, NCL truly charging a "Fuel Supplement", above and beyond and in addition to the Government Taxes/Port Fees? It just showed up on my official NCL invoice for a December 2008 cruise and the cost for this "Fuel Supplement" is more than the Government Taxes and Port Fees. Ouch!

I'm just checking to make sure this new "Fuel Supplement" charge is Kosher and on the level.

Less than 6 months ago on this same cruise, there was No "Fuel Supplement" charge, of any kind. So this must be quite new.

I know from Cruise Critic news updates, that Holland American Lines (HAL) were charging some kind of Daily "Fuel Supplement", but I thought they even "dropped" those Fuel charges, because of the threat of a "Class Action" suit.

So, is the NCL "Fuel Supplement" charge Legit?

When did they start charging for this added Fuel cost?

Are all cruise lines, and not just NCL, now charging this extra Fuel Fee?

Is it permanent and here to stay?

Is it legal?

Please advise.

erikishere

My goodness! You seem to be completely out of touch with world events and how they are impacting consumer life. In any case, companies like NCL have been impacted by the same increases to the cost of fuel as the rest of us. The fuel surcharge is an adjustable and less permanent way to recover this increased cost of business than a permanent price increase.

WinterSky

Is, or is not, NCL truly charging a "Fuel Supplement", above and beyond and in addition to the Government Taxes/Port Fees? It just showed up on my official NCL invoice for a December 2008 cruise and the cost for this "Fuel Supplement" is more than the Government Taxes and Port Fees. Ouch!

I'm just checking to make sure this new "Fuel Supplement" charge is Kosher and on the level.

Less than 6 months ago on this same cruise, there was No "Fuel Supplement" charge, of any kind. So this must be quite new.

I know from Cruise Critic news updates, that Holland American Lines (HAL) were charging some kind of Daily "Fuel Supplement", but I thought they even "dropped" those Fuel charges, because of the threat of a "Class Action" suit.

Is it legal?

Please advise.

erikishere

There's not a truly simple answer to this question, so I'll do the best I can. And yes, it is legal.

1) Yes, NCL is charging a fuel surcharge. It went into effect 12/1 and is $7 per day for the 1st and 2nd person in a room and $3 per day for the 3rd and 4th person in a room.

2) Even though this went into effect December 1st, it was not retroactive. So, if you had a deposit down on a cruise prior to December 1, you were not charged the surcharge.

3) The surcharge is going up again on May 1st and is rising to $9 and $4. It like the other surcharge, will only apply to new reservations made after May 1st.

All cruiselines are either raising their base rate or applying a fuel surcharge. It's nothing unique to NCL. Several other cruise lines implemented the fuel surcharge and made it retroactive to include all reservations that had not yet sailed. The AG in FL determined this to be illegal and made those cruise lines return the money. NCL was not one of those cruiselines.

Hopefully, this will make this clearer to you. I've not heard of anyone being charged a fuel surcharge by NCL improperly, but I guess you could always be the first. If you made a reservation for a cruise prior to December 1st, you should not have had to pay a fuel surcharge to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, it's legit.

December 1st last year.

Yes, visit CC's Featured Article about fuel surcharges at this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=580

Cruise lines charging fuel surcharges include:

RCI lines; Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur Cruises and Azamara Cruises

Carnival Corp lines; Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, Princess and Seabourn

Blue Lagoon Cruises, Cruise West, Crystal Cruises, Disney Cruise Line, Fred. Olsen Cruise Line, Louis Cruise Line, Majestic America Line, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Silversea Cruises, Star Clippers, Viking River Cruises, Voyages of Discovery, Windstar Cruises.

If you can find a cruise line that's not, that would be news. :eek:

Yes, and they will go higher as the cost of fuel increases.

Is it legal?

Yes.

NCL's initial fuel surcharge did not include those who booked earlier than December 1st last year. HAL and the rest of Carnival Corp.'s lines initially did. That's why they had to change their plan.

NCL press releases on fuel surcharges:

November 15, 2007

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_111507

April 17, 2008

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_041708

Facts:

Fuel prices in the last year have doubled.

Passenger fares have not.

More industries than just cruise lines are charging fuel surcharges today.

Sounds rather Caprious to me.

I Fly every month and do not patronise the Airlines that charge Caprious Fuel Fees, and I have two (2) Airlines out of Denver that do not, why would I Fly the "others" that do?

Are all Cruise lines, and I mean all, charging these "Fuel Supplement" Fees?

You didn't answer any of my Questions and your Response was a liitle to "cute" for me.

I Fly every month and do not patronise the Airlines that charge Caprious Fuel Fees, and I have two (2) Airlines out of Denver that do not, why would I Fly the "others" that do?

You didn't answer any of my Questions and your Response was a liitle to "cute" for me.

Uh, I did answer every one of your questions. But, to say it again, yes ALL cruise lines are charging a fuel supplement.

What might be confusing you is that some cruiselines added the fuel supplement fee "after" the cruise was booked and then added it to the cruise fare. Those cruiselines were forced to give back those fees. NCL never did that.

eventually it will all catch up with every airline...including your 2 "non-capricious, non-fuel charging" airlines that you do fly. start walking and get the hitchhiker thumb going.

Sounds rather Caprious to me. I Fly every month and do not patronise the Airlines that charge Caprious Fuel Fees, and I have two (2) Airlines out of Denver that do not, why would I Fly the "others" that do?

Which two? They also might be flying out of DFW and I would like to know.

Get ready to pay more. There was a radio interview just yesterday and they had one of those financial experts on. He was talking about how if the fuel charges continue to rise, many more airlines will be forced into bankruptcy and those few (he said as few as 5) that are left will have prices triple or more of what they currently are.

So these "fuel supplements" could just be the tip of the iceberg of things to come if we don't find someway to get oil prices in check.

none of us are thrilled, but we all know the transportation companies have to find a way to pay for the fuel. It is either pass some of the cost onto the comsumer or stop serving the public. Airlines, trains, buses and cruise ships have no choice. I think we were very lucky to squeek by for almost 2 years of raising fuel costs without the sur charge being added. If you are refusing to fly airlines that have added the sur charge you may find yourself not traveling at all before long. BTW, the one who haven't official added a sur charge are making up the difference in other expenses. Yes, you are paying part of it and the companies are eating part....

Nita

none of us are thrilled, but we all know the transportation companies have to find a way to pay for the fuel. It is either pass some of the cost onto the comsumer or stop serving the public. Airlines, trains, buses and cruise ships have no choice. I think we were very lucky to squeek by for almost 2 years of raising fuel costs without the sur charge being added.

Nita

So true, Nita.

We were indeed lucky that the fuel surcharge was not added in long ago on NCL:)

We have been paying for it in the supermarkets and departments stores for a long time now whether people are noticing it or not.

Airlines are getting the money some how.. fuel surplus fees, baggage fees.. some way. Please advise us of the two you us that have changed nothing they charge for so we can all use them

I'm not being "cute" but I would really like to know where you are from and what you do that you have no knowledge of recent oil prices and how they affect all matters of our daily lives from the price of milk and bread to vacations?

Yes... all lines are charging a fuel supplement and some airlines are now charging for ANY checked bags. I purchased an airline ticket 2 months ago for $600 that is now $700.

Umm.. what the he** does Caprious mean? Even Wikpedia didn't know!

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm not being "cute" but I would really like to know where you are from and what you do that you have no knowledge of recent oil prices and how they affect all matters of our daily lives from the price of milk and bread to vacations?

Yes... all lines are charging a fuel supplement and some airlines are now charging for ANY checked bags. I purchased an airline ticket 2 months ago for $600 that is now $700.

Umm.. what the he** does Caprious mean? Even Wikpedia didn't know!

Enjoy your cruise.

capricious;)

...You didn't answer any of my Questions and your Response was a liitle to "cute" for me.

Gee whiz. People provide an answer to a question that probably did not even need an answer too. NCL published this right on their web site. And, I don't know about TV in Denver, but everytime I turn on the TV they talk about fuel prices going sky high.

And, I have no idea who was "too cute" for you, since there were three postings that provided answers before it got too cute.

Gee.

Is it legal?

Please advise.

erikishere

Really????? :eek: Is this a joke? Do you have a driver's license? Do you buy gas for your car? Groceries? What two airlines do you refer to you in your 2nd post here?

It's real, it's legit, all the cruiselines are charging it.

Uh, I did answer every one of your questions. But, to say it again, yes ALL cruise lines are charging a fuel supplement.

Well, not all. Erie Canal Cruise Lines doesn't have a fuel supplement.

Nor a crew, food, and you have to clean the boat yourself. :D

Good.

Then be open to comprehending the tough answers. ;)

It's tough out there. All the cruiselines have implemented the surcharge (as everyone has already stated) and you are paying for the astonomical oil prices in every aspect of your life, not just when flying or cruising.

Sure, go ahead and boycott American Air...and don't book a cruise with all the

'capricious' charges.....but don't go to the grocery store either. IN FACT, don't go anywhere at all unless you are on foot or on a bicycle. If you're going to boycott, you might as well do it right.

But in a pinch you probably can cook and Eat Sal.......

refrain...

Low Bridge every body down , low bridge every body down you'll always know your neighbor and you'll always know your pal if you every navigated on the Erie Canal...

I have a mule her name is Sal 15 miles on the Erie canal(sing the refrain again)

No fuel surcharge????? Better post that website address so people like the OP can sign up for one of their cruises! :D

Yes, all cruise lines are charging the surcharge. You can follow the link provided by others to find out for yourself if you don't like the answers you are getting here. You can also "google" and find that information.

Why come on here with questions if you don't want the answers anyway?

Archived