G'ma

Muumuu

Well, that won't be easy. You can try and bring only two items of the following: night time shirts, daytime shirts, tank tops, night time pants, shorts, and swimwear. You might have to do a load of laundry half way through because wearing the same thing over and over in the heat and humidity might make em a wee funky after a couple of days...

I've got to trim down my packing list and drop down to one suitcase and my rolling carryon--and try to keep the carry on as empty as possible for goodies to bring back!!!! All my clothes are going to have to fit into the suitcase so I have adequate space for the stuff I buy on board and in the ports!!!

We did our first 5 day cruise, with each of us in a carry on size suitcase. One of them did expand. We also brought one of those bags that have the name of the port on it that we folded in one of the carry ons for the stuff we bought and carried it off. Plus I had a knapsack. Does that count, since we carried on everything?

I guess you could wash things out in your room. You could do 1 bathing suit, 2 sundresses for dinner and 2 shorts outfits. One pair of casual shoes and one pair of dressy ones.

I had 4 outfits when I went to China for almost 2 weeks. Keeping up with laundry in the room was a PITA but it can be done. And that was winter clothes, summer items would dry much faster. You'd just need to roll up your clothes in towels then stomp them to get the water out.

I also used sample sizes of my bath items to cut down on space. Like I ordered sample packs of my face cream from Avon for a couple of $s so I didn't have to pack a jar.

How much space does underwear take?? We wore the same dress for both formal nights. We did bring sample sized shampoo and conditioner and lotion etc.

For a 5 night, unless we are taking cokes or something extra onto the ship, we can get by with carry ons plus my knapsack.

My carry on must hold more than other people's.

Just my opinion, but I just gotta ask you.... WHY? Why a 22" roll on, I'm thinking there's no way to sail on a 5 or 7 night cruise with a 22" roll on. :confused:

I don't know, my DW has done two trans Atlantic crossings with just carry ons. Don't ask how because I have no idea but I have seen it happen. It helps when you you are on a ship that is only resort casual.

Wait, you people take more than one swimsuit? I only have one. Hmm, should I go buy another?

To each there own. If you can do it with one suit I admire you....I brought 5 last year for my 6 day cruise...and wore everyone. I can't stand putting on a wet suit.

Please share how you pack for a cruise in a 22" roll on.

I need your guidance.

Well, here it is in brief.

First off, I don't wear long fancy dresses. For "formal" nights (or what passes for them now), I pack one pair of black dressy slacks, pretty satiny material and 2 "dressy" blouses...one with sequins, one that is longer - almost to my knees with a black tank-type top which can be worn with other blouses or alone. My dress shoes are flat heeled patent leather. (Don't wear heels anymore - feet are ruined from wearing them..as well as hips and knees). I usually wear those shoes to dinner a couple more nights. I don't take a "dressy purse".

1 pair of jeans, 2 pair of khakis in darker colors; blue, green, etc, 1 pair of pedal pushers,3 colorful shells, 2 short sleeve shirts/blouses, 2 long sleeved summer weight. These are in colors that can be coordinated. Each shell, blouse and slack can be mixed and matched. I wear my sneakers on the plane and pack 1 pair of sandals for bumming around the ship and pool.

Underwear for 5 nights. I am not adverse to rinsing in the bathroom sink and hanging overnight to dry.

I have a great "diddy bag" about 12" x 8" made of a flexible, waterproof material with a 3-sided zipper. In it is, small containers of shampoo, conditioner, small baby powder, small hair spray, small deodorant. Also small lotion. A toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste. A small tube of Neosporin and 3 bandaids. A sandwich bag with a coupla dozen Q-tips. 2 clear haircombs (my hair is longish and I don't like it flying around my face all the time) and a coupla "bobbie pins". I buy the small plastic containers at a local beauty supply store - cheap. There is room in there for a comb, a hair pick and my small round brush for drying my hair. I carry sample sized suntan lotion...don't do much of that anymore anyway...sunning, that is.

I don't wear much makeup so my very small makeup bag contains mascara, bronzer/powder compact and brush, eyeliner, tweezer and a glitzy green eyeshadow which I only wear on "formal" nights....HA!!

I also pack all my clothes in zipper-type plastic bags which really cuts down on wrinkles and, the air can be pushed out of them to cut down on the bulk. I've thought of those "space bags" but they look like more trouble than they are worth.

That's pretty much it.

I have a smallish carry-on that holds digital camera, a book or two, a few snacks, my ever-present Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum (old habits die hard). This bag has a zippered compartment on the end where goes my document folder with all doxs, my passport, airline tickets and anything I need to get around....including lots of $1.00 bills for the inevitable tips. There is always plenty or room in this bag for any small souveniers I might purchase... I'm not a big buyer or shopper but do look for small original watercolors from the islands.

I switch to a nice denim purse for cruises. Holds wallet and the rest of the "stuff" we women lug around with us...and it's big enough to tuck my book into if I'm going up on deck...also room for a small spray bottle which I keep filled with water when going ashore... It feels soooo good when its hot and humid.

I have a great bright red plantation hat, which I wear while traveling.

FYI: My daughter does even better than I do. Of course, she weighs a lot less than me so her clothes don't take up as much space. She travels a lot on business to Europe, Asia and other places. She packs everything in a backpack!!!! She bought the backpack from Rick Steves (google it) and can be away a coupla weeks with it....and a laundromat once during her stay...or let the hotel do it for her. She straps that thing on and carry's it on the plane. No waiting for anything when she arrives... I'm amazed as she must be in business dress most of the time and lots of those boring "cocktail" parties, etc. Guess I taughter her well....HA!!

Any questions? Be glad to answer them. I'm sure I've forgotten something - it's my nature.

G'ma, that is great that you can do that! I cannot. I have it down to one large checked bag and one small carry on per person. We drive to the port so I'm not worried about packing less. I would rather have one outfit too many than do laundry on my vacations. Don't cook, don't clean, and don't do the laundry if I'm not at home. But I will neaten up so I don't go crazy.:p

Just my opinion, but I just gotta ask you.... WHY? Why a 22" roll on, I'm thinking there's no way to sail on a 5 or 7 night cruise with a 22" roll on. :confused:

I retired from 32 years in the travel industry.....12 of those years as a Tour Manager/Cruise Host. When you spend over 200 days a year on the road, you quickly learn to prioritize your packing. You learn to mix and match and to base your wardrobe around neutral colors that can be accessorized. You never, ever take anything you don't absolutely need.

Professional travelers don't have the luxury of lugging a lot of baggage around. When you are responsible for 30-100 people, it's all you can do to take care of their luggage....fer sure. Ask any flight attendant, any professional tour manager or director...

If you go to Rick Steves website, you will see how he travels around Europe for 3 months, every year, with a 20-pound bag....backpack... He's my hero...even though I've never been able to attain that 20 pound goal.....

Also, for those who have mentioned it, I do NOT do any laundry on a cruise. Gives me the shivvers just to think of it. I'll hand wash undies but that's it!!!!

As to "WHY" a 22"? That's the smallest I've been able to get all my stuff in.....

We did our first 5 day cruise, with each of us in a carry on size suitcase. One of them did expand. We also brought one of those bags that have the name of the port on it that we folded in one of the carry ons for the stuff we bought and carried it off. Plus I had a knapsack. Does that count, since we carried on everything?

My kinda gal!!!!

On my last cruise I limited my self to one expandable suit case..It was full to the brim without being expanded..I added a fold up canvas bag to carry off my purchases and things we used the last night on board.. We drive so our space is plentiful but I don't like to unpack any more than necessary on board.. About 30 minutes before the life boat drill, we go to our cabin and unpack..I like that to be over in a hurry..

Archived