Caribbean or the Mexican Riviera for my first cruise?

alba216

This is my first cruise, I plan on leaving late September early October with my wife and two daughters, 13 months and 6 years old. I was thinkin the 7 Day cruises. I know Ill enjoy either cruise, but for my 6 year old, Im not sure. I know she will like Stingray City in the Cayman Islands, but I cant think of anything else to sway me in either direction. Both girls love the water. Any suggestions? Thanks

I would definitely do Caribbean over Mexican Riviera. Mexican Rivera is all Mexico and you get to go to different countries with the Caribbean cruises. Any of the Caribbean cruises are great. Most Southern cruises leave out of San Juan so there is more travel time to get to the ship.

Personally, my vacation dollars will NOT go to Mexico!

I think the Caribbean is much more beautiful than any Mexican port!

Another vote for the Caribbean! However, I live in the LA area so when we don't want to fly (especially at holiday time), we'll do Mexico anytime and even Hawaii as we can sail right from the port of LA!

Laurie

Caribbean hands down....I live in LA so Mexican cruises are the easiest (and least expensive) ones for us to do, but we always end up flying east to do the Caribbean instead. The beaches and ports just do not compare - Many of the Mexican ports (and beaches for that matter) are just not as nice, not as clean and just not as overall desirable as the Caribbean.

I agree - the Carribean.

Next decision - leave from Florida or San Juan. From San Juan you have a bigger choice of islands and can get a more port intensive itinerary.

You've got a toddler and a small child, so you probably want to do more beaches instead of bus tours, 4x4 adventures, or small boat cruises. For the beaches I would recommend doing your own thing on your own time schedule. Take an insulated lunch bag, take some food from breakfast (milk, fruit,yogurt, bread, cheese, lunchmeats, etc), leave at your leisure mid-morning and come back when you like well before sailing. Renting a car is a good option on the Dutch islands - St. Martin, Aruba, and Curacao - because they drive on the right and are very orderly. Puerto Rico would be OK too. However, they drive on the left on all the other islands including the USVI and are insane.

You can pay money and get day passes at resorts, or you can go to more low key beaches where you just pay to rent chairs and umbrellas. St.Thomas - Magen's Bay or Secret Harbor. Secret Harbor would be very good with a toddler - no waves + snorkeling. Another option - Coral world and Coki Beach are together. Restrooms, lockers and food at Coral world - waves but good snorkeling. Barbados - Folkstone Underwater Park - public beach with bathroom, changing area, food vendor, shade, snorkeling, and a children's playground. Very low key and comfortable.

I just returned a week ago from the Carribean tour, and I highly recommend it.

You mentioned Stingray City--a great place! I loved it, and your children probably would too.

If you are looking at doing beachy kinds of things when at the ports, you might also look at getting day passes to the local resorts. On the advice of many on this board, my BF and I went to Sunset Beach in Montego Bay. It was wonderful! There were slides, a lazy river and several pools. Then, you had the ocean front with paddle boats and such.

We booked a Balcony on the RCCl Enchantment of the Sea, 5 day cruise, leaving Ft Lauderdale, and visiting Cozumel & Grand Cayman. I really want to swim with the Stingrays in the Cayman Islands, but my wife thinks we should go shopping in the Cayman Islands.

I'm so glad you picked the Caribbean. No one mentioned that the water is warmer and so much clearer! As for shopping or the stingrays, you can probably do both. The stingrays won't take all day. When we went to GC, we had time to do both.

Archived