Seattle air port

happy5

Hi...we are cruising on the Westerdam in July. My daughter will be flying into Seattle at 7:30pm and we do not arrive until 9:30. Altho she is 22 I prefer that she wait at the airport for us to all go to the hotel together. Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere in the airport that she can get dinner and wait for us after she has gotten her luggage? We are staying downtown Seattle for Friday and Sat night. Thanks

thanks so much...should have looked that up myself. I was just concerned that most of the food was after security and since she will have to get her luggage, I wanted her to be able to sit comfortably and wait for the rest of us.

Another question: How do you recommend we get to our hotel---Hilton downtown---taxi or bus? Thanks again

I don't think that there will be anywhere for her to eat after she picks up her luggage, as she is outside of the security section. She will be unable to get back through security, since she is not leaving out on a flight.

Depending upon how much luggage she has, I'd suggest a taxi to the 13 Coins, basically across the street from SeaTac. It is one of my favorite Seattle restaurants.

Otherwise her best (only) option outside security is The Pilot House, next to the exit from Concourse B, behind the America West and US Airways ticket counter.

Ditto what Mary Ellen said about 13 Coins. It is very close to the airport, but not necessarily to walk with luggage.

I have a 22 year old daughter too so I understand what you mean. I would also be concerned about whether the 13 coins might be able to store her luggage while she had her dinner and waited for you, depending on how much she will have with her.

We had a great town car to take us to the airport and bring us home from pier 30 after our last cruise. It was the same driver 22 days later and he remembered us after those three+ weeks. His name was Victor and he was a very nice and professional driver. I think I might have been comfortable enough to have him take my girl to the hotel then come back for us two hours later. The cost was actually less than a HAL bus transfer for two from the pier to the airport would have been. It was also private, more comfortable than a bus and there is a possibility you could contract a towncar for an hourly rate that might be more economical than two trip charges. Possibly even more economical than two taxi rides and far more comfortable than either a bus or a taxi.

Anyway, I do still have his card, so if you want more info I will be happy to provide it. Go to one of my websites, linked below, and e-mail me using the link (logo) there. Be sure to include something recognizable in the subject line so your e-mail doesn't get deleted as spam.

We just got back from our Alaska cruise. We flew in and out of Seattle. I would suggest she wait in the area where all of the cruise buses are, there is a sitting area, it is outside, or she could sit inside. This area has several HAL employees directing people. It seemed very safe to me. This area is not congested. If it is nice outside, she would really enjoy this. As we sat outside in this area, we people watched. She would be away from all of the long lines. (This area is where you go to catch the HAL bus transfers to hotels)

Hi...we are cruising on the Westerdam in July. My daughter will be flying into Seattle at 7:30pm and we do not arrive until 9:30. Altho she is 22 I prefer that she wait at the airport for us to all go to the hotel together. Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere in the airport that she can get dinner and wait for us after she has gotten her luggage? We are staying downtown Seattle for Friday and Sat night. Thanks

The Seattle airport has a great food court (with a huge window wall for plane-watching) inside the security gate. In the unlikely event your daughter can pack for a cruise with just a carry-on, she could wait there for you.

I have a 21 year old daughter, so I understand why you want to be together. But if your plane is delayed, or she does not want to wait for you in the airport, I would not hesitate to have her take a cab from the airport to downtown Seattle. Very easy and safe.

• 2 weeks later...

As a young woman, I began traveling alone for work at the tender age of 21 to Atlanta, Cincinnati, Louisville, and other cities comparable to Seattle. If my parents had been under the illusion that I was going to sit at and airport for two hours rather than get comfortable in a hotel, I would have kindly relieved them of this illusion pretty quickly.

Maybe your daughter is more agreeable than I, but I will say that Seattle struck me as very safe when I visited three years ago. As a woman, I would feel pretty comfortable traveling there alone.

The Seattle Gray Liner seems to be the best way of getting to the downtown

hotels http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

Archived