need help with airfare,(Greatam)

mylove

We will be doing a transatlantic Sept 9th 08 and will be leaving from Dfw

or Sat to Bcn,would love to go early,like on the 4th or 5th.Right now we have Celebrity air and its running about two thousand for the both of us,that seems alot,so if anyone has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.thanks Kimberley

Just found a very good fare on vayama.com for $526 per person on Sept. 4. It is on Lufthansa departing DFW at 4p.m. to Frankfurt. There is a 7 hour layover in Frankfurt. You arrive on another Lufthansa flight in Barcelona at 6 p.m. This is an excellent price. There are probably severe restrictions but you'll be arriving 4 days early so it shouldn't be a problem. Also, Lufthansa is a Star Alliance partner so if there are any cancellations or delays there is more fleibility with other Star Alliance members. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Ken...

The price has went up with vayama.com but if you use the previous link with Charesjoy the bt-store.com has the fare for the same Lufthansa flights for even less on Sept. 4. The price when I looked was $508 per person for a total of $1016 for 2 tickets which in my opinion is an excellent fare. Good luck. Ken...

Hey Ken:Well i'm booked,I put the date sept 4th on there thinking it would be cheaper to fly on a thurs. and it turns out the 7th was cheaper.Booked a direct flight with Lufthansa for about 1300.00.We used the site you said Vayamer.Went out of curiosity to Lufthansa site to see what it would be and it was 4000.64 same flights exactly so thank you so much.Were going on a tranatlantic in sept on Celebrity come on along and i'll buy the martinins.The 1300.00 was taxes and everything AWESOME!!!!!Kimberley

Congratulations! I personally enjoy the international carriers and the service onboard seems so much better. Remember, when you get onboard the drinks are free so drink the German beer and wine and enjoy. The only thing I would do is confirm you flights a few days before and look for Star Alliance flights and schedules in case of delays and cancellations plus check in early. Last time I went with Lufthansa the plane left the gate 15 minutes early and we went on our way. If anyone was late, oh well! Enjoy your cruise and especially Barcelona. I've done 2 transAtlantic cruises and enjoyed them. Ken...

Has anyone ever booked a one-way ticket from Europe home on a transatlantic cruise using reward miles? My husband and I are planning on using reward miles for our cruise airfare, but the airline refuses to mix the one-way domestic needed to get to Ft. Lauderdale with the one-way international needed to get home from Rome to IAH. This seems to be a problem when booking with flight miles. However, the price of one-way international travel is RIDICULOUS! Any suggestions?

Has anyone ever booked a one-way ticket from Europe home on a transatlantic cruise using reward miles? My husband and I are planning on using reward miles for our cruise airfare, but the airline refuses to mix the one-way domestic needed to get to Ft. Lauderdale with the one-way international needed to get home from Rome to IAH. This seems to be a problem when booking with flight miles. However, the price of one-way international travel is RIDICULOUS! Any suggestions?

If the routing is a legal open-jaw, you should be able to use FF miles. However, it is highly unlikely that you having a TATL segment as the unflown leg of the triangle would be "legal". Thus, since it wouldn't be a legal revenue ticket, it is not available as an award. In addition, almost all airlines do not allow for one-way awards, especially internationally.

You will have to buy this ticket OR do some creative planning for multiple award trips (plural - two opposite legal open-jaws) across the Atlantic.

If the routing is a legal open-jaw, you should be able to use FF miles. However, it is highly unlikely that you having a TATL segment as the unflown leg of the triangle would be "legal". Thus, since it wouldn't be a legal revenue ticket, it is not available as an award. In addition, almost all airlines do not allow for one-way awards, especially internationally.

You will have to buy this ticket OR do some creative planning for multiple award trips (plural - two opposite legal open-jaws) across the Atlantic.

As Flyertalker mentioned, very few airlines offer FF mile one ways (WN and AS come to mind), and only AS offer intl one way.

The only airlines I know of that price one way transatlantics as 1/2 of a RT are Aer Lingus (Irish National Airline) and some of the charter operators like FlyZoom. You may want to investigate getting to an Aer Lingus hub and flying them from say JFK-DUB-BCN

I would also use the fare search engines like Kayak.com or farechase.yahoo.com to try and find a cheap one way

Archived