if you have to chose the best cruise director from royalcaribbean who would it be

What ship is Becky Thompson currently on?

She was the CD on the Mariner fall 2007. It was like having Lucille Ball for a Cruise Director.

Last I heard she was training other CDs for corporate and was not aboard any ship.

Last I heard she was training other CDs for corporate and was not aboard any ship.

I can understand that. Can't think of a better CD to do the training than Becky.

Too bad they can't clone her. We miss her on the ship.

I can understand that. Can't think of a better CD to do the training than Becky.

Too bad they can't clone her. We miss her on the ship.

She opted for a land based job in the summer of 2007 because she was getting married, however since then, she has done a short stint or two as a substitute CD for RCI. Otherwise, she works at Celebrity headquarters training new CDs

• 4 months later...
Kirk Detweiler and Gordon Whatman......they BOTH ROCK and are very visible and accomodating......not to mention very funny and great entertainers! :):)

Really? Kirk is my least favorite RCI CD. We were not impressed with him at all.

It's hard to narrow it to one. We've loved Carly Boileau and Marc Walker. Graham Seymour and Ken Rush would be the next step down. The only one we didn't care for was Dennis Sciortino, who seemed to think that louder is happier. I don't love it when the cruise director is berating the crowd for not being up-beat enough.

Where is Ken Rush these days????

He was our CD on Radiance to Hawaii in October. His on-stage performance was slightly better than average but..

He was EVERYWHERE!!!....He hosted many, many daily activities

I give him extra points because, in all our cruises, he's the ONLY one who attended our CC meet & mingle!.......he stayed for about 1/2 hour and spoke with all 70+ of us!.......

Definitely the most approachable CD we've had.....

(Sentimental favorite would be Clo.....)

Never had a "bad" CD....just some are better than others.....

Happy Sails to you!

Adventure of the Seas

Peter Benfield (5/2008)

Brilliance of the Seas

Bill Brunkhorst (Confirmed 4-14-08)

Empress Of the Seas

OUT OF FLEET

Enchantment of the Seas

Marc Walker (Confirmed 5/12/2008)

Explorer of the Seas

Mike Hunnerup (As of 4/11/2008)

Freedom of the Seas

Richard Spacey (3/30/2008)

Grandeur of the Seas

Simon Baker (still on as of 5/1/08)

Independence of the Seas

Graham Seymour( confirmed 5/31/2008 )

Jewel of the Seas

Bobby Brown (Starting 4/15/08)

Bobby to move to Legend Fall 08 (Per Bobby Brown)

Legend of the Seas

Mercedes LaFuente (Confirmed 2/2008)

Liberty of the Seas

Allan Brooks (updated 4/28/2008)

Majesty of the Seas

Jimmy Rhodes (Confirmed 4/4/2008)

Mariner of the Seas

Drew Devine (Confirmed 3/2008)

Monarch of the Seas

dennis sciortino (updated 5 /2008))

Navigator Of The Seas

Kieron Buffery (STARTING 4/4/2008)

Radiance of the Seas

Kirk Detweiler (Confirmed 3/23)

Rhapsody of the Seas

Keith Williams (As of 5/23/2008)

Serenade of the Seas

Carly Boileau (confirmed Dec 1, 2007)

Sovereign of the Seas

Chris Northey (Confirmed 4/14/08)

Splendour of the Seas

Jill Tasker (confirmed 4/2008)

Vision of the Seas

John Blair (Confirmed 3/23/2008)

Voyager of the Seas

Leo Papa (Starting 4/6/2008

Bobby Brown changed over to Legend in October and is doing a fantastic job. Gets my vote.

• 3 weeks later...

It's hilarious that the same CDs that are the absolute favorites of some cruisers are the absolute least faves of others.

I was just observing to my wife that we thought Eric Dowis was hands down, and by far the funniest CD we've had, I wondered if his "southern cornpone" persona would translate to everybody.

Sure enough, a British poster labelled him "the worst."

The other thing is, there are really three aspects of a CD's job that might influence different folks to have opposite opinions.

1) Hosting and being funny onstage

2) Affability on a personal level when not onstage and visibility onboard.

3) The way they manage their staff.

Like Eric. He was hilarious! I honestly can't imagine a funnier guy. He was quick and never missed a beat. And I am not easily impressed, comedically. He's a pro. On the other hand, I never saw him onboard other than when he was onstage. On another positive note, though, his staff (Patrick, Carolyn, the Italian girl, the DJ and his Activities Director, whose names I forget) was fantastic, and I tend to think that he has to have something to do with that.

Dan Whitney was mildly amusing, a generally good MC (he was particularly good at annnouncing the horse races, poolside). Not nearly as funny as Eric, but I saw him everywhere. He was never too busy to talk and was always super friendly. He made a very strong positive impression with a customer service attitude. On the other hand, some of our cruising buddies (who have been on dozens and dozens of cruises) did not think much of him as an entertainment director, and the shows and jokes were a parade of all that is cliched in cruise world.

Somewhere, someday, hopefully, we'll get a cruise director who excells in all three areas.

Several people have said that the CD doesn't really matter to thier enjoyment of a cruise. I think that is true, unless you have a really great one. Then, it can really make a big difference.

Edited by theotherchad

Eric Dowes gets our vote' date=' he is so funny. We have never had a bad CD with RCI, and have cruised with them 42 times. Some are better than others but to us Eric is the best.:o[/quote']

I have to agree, Eric has been the best CD of all the lines I have cruised with. Does anyone know what ship he is on now? :)

I've sailed with Graham Seymour, Drew Devine, and Jimmy Rhodes. Graham and Jimmy were both great - Drew was funny, but probably not my favorite. I felt like I saw Jimmy all over the ship the most, but maybe because Graham and Drew were on Navigator and Mariner vs. Majesty. Jimmy was on the pier greeting everybody who got off the ship in Nassau, which I thought was great. I also loved his cameo with the dancers one night.

Just off the Jewel X-Mas with Joff Eaton. He is pretty new to RCCL. He and his wife came from P+O, a British cruise line. Not sure what his wife does but she works on the ship too.

He was wonderful. Very quick with the jokes, very funny. He was also very approachable. I have never seen a CD talk to passengers like he and his staff. They were the friendliest staff we have ever had. They really got to know the passengers. They were constantly talking and sharing with anyone and everyone.

The entire crew on this trip was unbelievably nice. You couldn't walk past anyone with out them saying "hello, how are you today?" I don't know if this was because it was an X-mas cruise or that is just the way they are.