Thanks, Penny and Pepper!

ilovhywd

I've just read your marvelous reviews in anticipation of our first Cunard cruise, the 8/7/08 TA.

Is it possible that this will be the first cruise we have taken where folks aren't walking around in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops on formal night?

It sounds to good to be true! Have we finally found the right cruise line?? Wow!

Ilene

I've just read your marvelous reviews in anticipation of our first Cunard cruise, the 8/7/08 TA.

Is it possible that this will be the first cruise we have taken where folks aren't walking around in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops on formal night?

It sounds to good to be true! Have we finally found the right cruise line?? Wow!

Ilene

Yes you have! Welcome to the QM2:D

Sharon

You have found the very best there is, formal nights on the QM2 are the very best, I just love to watch everyone dressed up having dinner, watching a show or just walking around the ship, every one is dressed from around 6pm for the evening

Hello Ilene...and welcome to QM2. And yes, you have come home....;) You have found the right place.

Aren't you so kind to start this thread....I'm so pleased you enjoyed my "Affair". As you can tell I did too and can't wait to continue it every chance I get. And I know Pepper will be pleased as well when he sees this. His review gave me so much wonderful information and I printed it out and take it with me. And even though I know QM2 so well, it will once again travel with me when I cross in Oct on the tandem. It's kind of like a "bible" of crossing info and I'd feel funny if it wasn't in my carry-on.

I wish you a fabulous trip...pack those gowns and enjoy the evening ambiance. It's a delight. And do come back and tell us how all about it. We tend to be very vicarious livers on here!!:rolleyes: It's so hard waiting for that next "fix" you know.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Funny this thread pops up now. Just this week I sought out and was reading Pennys review. I went to this review as we will be sailing a 8 day Caribbean similar to Pennys first cruise.

Penny, I have this correct that you did not post anything on the stops you made, right? These are new stops for us and I was so hoping you talked about them. Did not Pepper somewhere post the entire review as a PDF file or something similar? It would be great if you could help me find that link again.

Funny this thread pops up now. Just this week I sought out and was reading Pennys review. I went to this review as we will be sailing a 8 day Caribbean similar to Pennys first cruise.

Penny, I have this correct that you did not post anything on the stops you made, right? These are new stops for us and I was so hoping you talked about them. Did not Pepper somewhere post the entire review as a PDF file or something similar? It would be great if you could help me find that link again.

Hi Smoothdancer....so glad you enjoyed the "Affair" enough to want to re-read it...I thought only I did that!!!:rolleyes:

No, I didn't spend a lot of time on the ports as the "Affair" was the ship...and only the ship as far as I was concerned. I've reached the point where I"m happier to stay onboard!! But certainly I'll be happy to help you with port suggestions. Which ones are you going to?

As to Pepper's review link, go here and enjoy!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

You found it! We just came off the Memorial Day Weekend voyage (our first on Cunard) and loved it. There are no flip flops, tank tops or shorts after 6:00 pm. except perhaps for a very few around the Kings Court (buffet style dining) and around the pools and fitness centre. We are in our 40s and absolutely love dressing up and enjoying a truly civilized evening. The balls are gorgeous, we had a Black & White and a Masquerade and it was just lovely. A pre-dinner drink at the any of the delightful bars/lounges (our favourite was the Commodore on Deck 8) listening to the piano and admiring everyone's formal outfits is a must. Enjoy!!

I do understand Penny,

I write pretty extensive picture reviews about all of our cruises, post on our website and it is such a labor of love that I now and then go back myself and read then again.

Our only time on the QM2 was on a short 4 day cruise, and like you, the one stop to the Bahamas Island we chose to just stay on board and that whole day was wonderful. This trip with 4 sea days we will get off. We stop in St Kitts (new to us), Granda (new to us) and Bonaire. We vacation often in Aruba so Bonaire is not new.

And everytime I read your review it drives me crazy that you speak so often of the Commodore Club, which dont ask me how, we missed it on our trip.... Being ballroom dancers we loved the Queens Room so much nothing else seemed to matter, but with a longer voyage we will seek it out this time.

Thanks for the link...off to read more!!

I've just read your marvelous reviews in anticipation of our first Cunard cruise, the 8/7/08 TA. Is it possible that this will be the first cruise we have taken where folks aren't walking around in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops on formal night? It sounds to good to be true! Have we finally found the right cruise line?? Wow! Ilene

Ilene, thank you very much for this, you're very kind.

Yes, you've found the right cruise line! Even on a cruise you will find that passengers on Cunard's Liners and cruise ship know what "formal" means. Even more so on a TA. Dress up as much as you want, you cannot be "over dressed" on board QM2, QE2 or QV.

Have a wonderful time, and tell us all about it!

The only problem with Penny & Pepper's reviews is that they're so good they make me want to go onboard right now!! I still have four more months to wait, and it's four months too many! :D

Atomica

Thank you! Praise indeed!

I'm counting down the days till I can re-board QM2, thankfully, it is only days. Then, the first evening, before dinner, I will take one of the outside scenic lifts up to deck 9. And there, as the lift doors open, I will walk into heaven (also known as the Commodore Club).

Enjoy your time on board this wonderful Liner and tell us about everything afterwards please.

The commodore club? Claudia said deck 8 while you said deck 9. Which deck is the club on?

Deck 9....trust Pepper...he knows the deck plans better than the back of his hand. That's why I love Deck 8...one deck down to Kings Court for a cookie and one up to the Commodore Club...life is good when it's easy!

As to your question about ports Smoothdancer...you are doing a different itinerary than we did both times. The only port we did id St Kitts and I confess that all I did both times was take a short stroll around town...found a lovely old church last year near a park. Our friends did the Nevis sailaway all day trip and loved it so much they did it again last year and zsteve went with them. They all had a great time and I'd not be surprised to see them do it again in Dec. I plan to finally get to Brimstone Hill fortress...and to Romney gardens. Other friends did the Sugar Train and had a great time. You can find a good bit of discussion on the St Kitts site here on CC.

I'll be interested to hear what you say about Grenada. That will be new to us this year as will Curacao. The other 4 ports we've done both times so I'll be enjoying some quality time onboard when others are off. Maybe just a return to Trunk Bay beach when we go to St Thomas...what a glorious spot that was.

I know you've said you love to dance but....if you miss the Commodore Club you have missed the most glorous ambiance on the ship...elegant, sophisticated...quite simply my favorite place of all onboard....day or night. It's the first place I go when I board just to say hello to it. And if you look really hard you'll find my clawmarks there. Pepper says there will be a plaque there this year but I don't believe him!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

The only problem with Penny & Pepper's reviews is that they're so good they make me want to go onboard right now!! I still have four more months to wait, and it's four months too many! :D

Kind words again Atomica...thank you. And it's not all that long...you'll be boarding in no time. On the other hand I've got to wait til the tandem in Oct and that seems like forever so I guess I understand. Now then, that wait I have for Norway next August...THAT'S a LONG time!

Have a fantastic trip...it's a lovely itinerary.

Cheers, Penny

And everytime I read your review it drives me crazy that you speak so often of the Commodore Club, which dont ask me how, we missed it on our trip.... Being ballroom dancers we loved the Queens Room so much nothing else seemed to matter, but with a longer voyage we will seek it out this time.

We did the same thing on our first cruise on the QM2. It was an early cruise only a few months after the maiden voyage so there had not been too much mention of the Commodore Club on the boards. We too enjoy the Queens Room after dinner, so we never went to the Commodore Club. On our next cruise the CC was one of our first stops. You will enjoy your time in the CC, but with your love of ballroom dancing, you will spend a lot of time in the Queen's Room.

Beth

Kind words again Atomica...thank you. And it's not all that long...you'll be boarding in no time. On the other hand I've got to wait til the tandem in Oct and that seems like forever so I guess I understand. Now then, that wait I have for Norway next August...THAT'S a LONG time!

Have a fantastic trip...it's a lovely itinerary.

Cheers, Penny

Penny, looking forward to one wonderful review from the Tandem TA!

You must be getting very excited again!

We should have been on board too, booked it last June, but sadly have had to move our deposit to the British Isles Voyage in Oct 2009.

So a very long wait for us, but l know it's going to be worth it!

Jackie :)

Hi Ilene,

Glad you found us. You will love your TA. And in the summer I am so jealous.

I must be honest with all of you. I HATE dressing up, but I LOVE these Cunard ships and the Cunard experience. So I dress up and have a great time. Strange huh! Sometimes it is good to leave your comfort zone.

Penny & Pepper: I am going to re read your reviews too. No I don't think it strange. Kind of a memory refresher. I can't wait to experience QM2 doing what she was built for. With QE2 (my 1st love) along side. I will have 6 days to explore the ship. I find those Caribbean islands too distracting. :D

Denise

Archived