Renting car in Skagway

PattyD17

For those who have done it---is it necessary to reserve a car ahead of time in Skagway or will we stand a good chance of getting one if we just show up at the rental car agency early (like 8:00ish)? We will be ther July 16th this year. Being unsure of the weather and other unexpected things that could happen we aren't sure we want to put in a reservation or just try our luck. Any suggestions? Does anyone know Avis's cancellation policy? Thanks so much.

I would reserve one online at avis.com. That's what I did for our upcoming trip the end of June. There is no charge for the reservation. I don't remember what their cancellation policy is but, knowing me, it's probably free up to a certain time, and I figured there would be time to do it if we couldn't go on the cruise. So, for 4 of us, a day's rental is about $100 to go to Emerald Lake and back. Seems like a good price to me.

HTH, Molly

I second that opinion. I reserved mine in January, and we'll be there June 13th. From what I've read on these boards, you might even be too late for your trip. It seems that they get reserved fairly early. I just called there today to confirm my reservation. I asked if we needed to be there right at 8:00 because I had read that they'll release reserved cards if people don't show up. He said that they usually hold them until 10 or 11:00 before they do that. Good luck.

We just returned from a Princess cruise and rented a car from Avis in Skagway. The weather was fine until we got 15 miles up the Youkon Highway when we got into the clouds - couldn't see the front of the car. We decided to turn around. Be prepared for clouds to obscure your vision. When we returned the car, the Avis dispatcher said if we'd had gone another few miles "through the pass" we would have been through the clouds. The folks who went on the morning WHite Pass RR were in the same clouds for most of their ride too. The clouds lifted in the afternoon. Considering our ship departure time, 6PM, we could have left Skagway as late as 1PM and made it back by 5PM. Something to consider when renting a car. BTW, AVIS has a 24 hour cancellation policy.

We just returned from a Princess cruise and rented a car from Avis in Skagway. The weather was fine until we got 15 miles up the Youkon Highway when we got into the clouds - couldn't see the front of the car. We decided to turn around. Be prepared for clouds to obscure your vision. When we returned the car, the Avis dispatcher said if we'd had gone another few miles "through the pass" we would have been through the clouds. The folks who went on the morning WHite Pass RR were in the same clouds for most of their ride too. The clouds lifted in the afternoon. Considering our ship departure time, 6PM, we could have left Skagway as late as 1PM and made it back by 5PM. Something to consider when renting a car. BTW, AVIS has a 24 hour cancellation policy.

For clairfication, you were not on the Yukon Highway, it was the South Klondike.

For those who have done it---is it necessary to reserve a car ahead of time in Skagway or will we stand a good chance of getting one if we just show up at the rental car agency early (like 8:00ish)? We will be ther July 16th this year. Being unsure of the weather and other unexpected things that could happen we aren't sure we want to put in a reservation or just try our luck. Any suggestions? Does anyone know Avis's cancellation policy? Thanks so much.

Yes as others have said.

But if you go with Avis. My reservation says they do not open until 9AM.

We arrive in Skagway at 7AM. If some one knows different please chime

in please.

Yes as others have said.

But if you go with Avis. My reservation says they do not open until 9AM.

We arrive in Skagway at 7AM. If some one knows different please chime

in please.

Are you on Carnival there on a weekend?? Sat and Sun open at 9am, M-F opens at 8am

We rented with Avis in Skagway. We are on the Norwegian Pearl, and it is a long port of call. We're not sure how much time we will need, but would rather get an early start and come back when we are ready.

I am wondering if it is worthwhile to go all the way to Whitehorse. Is there anything good to see or do there? Or should we turn around in Carcross?

I am wondering if it is worthwhile to go all the way to Whitehorse. Is there anything good to see or do there? Or should we turn around in Carcross?

Turn around at Emerald Lake. Whitehorse is great to visit if you have a couple of days, but not for a couple of hours unless you have a specific reason for coming (or just like driving a lot). The scenery north of Emerald Lake is pretty dull compared to what you've seen to that point.

Turn around at Emerald Lake. Whitehorse is great to visit if you have a couple of days, but not for a couple of hours unless you have a specific reason for coming (or just like driving a lot). The scenery north of Emerald Lake is pretty dull compared to what you've seen to that point.

I agree- the scenery significantly drops off after Emerald Lake. But, Murray, My Whitehorse Harley shirt collection is superb!!!!!!!

Archived