Is Montreal worth staying an

extra day or two after a cruise? Are there any really interesting sights to see?

Montreal is an amazing city and I would definately recommend taking time to see what it has to offer.

I am currently in Montreal at a conference. I would say Stay! I think you'll enjoy it... There are great restaurants, interesting shopping, good museums. And everything is in French, so it as if you are in another country. Many people do speak English so language is not a problem, but you are always spoken to in French first. I try to respond or comprehend with my limited French, but when I just don't have a clue and say I don't understand, someone has always been able to help.

If you can stay, DO IT! Montreal is one of my favourite cities to visit!! It has great dining, an easy to use (and very clean) subway system, and lots to see and do. We really enjoyed the Biodome, La Ronde (A Six Flags Park) and the Archeology museum on our last visit. We have two children so you may want to skip La Ronde if you are not travelling with kids :) Old Montreal has very interesting architecture. You will have no trouble finding people who speak English - it is a very bilingual city. Hope this helps and enjoy your stay. Montreal weather can be HOT in the summer so bring light clothing.

Hmm...let's see.....nothing to do....no good food......no nice places to stay....equals MORE ROOMS AND FOOD FOR ME!!!:D ;) [i am trying to keep montreal a secret.....]

( i am kidding folks........i go to montreal AT LEAST once a year.....i would PREFER to go once a MONTH!!!)

we always stay in Old Montreal at the Spring Hill Suites....lovely!!! (shhh it's a secret...don't tell!) we spend 4 or 5 nights at a time... not nearly enough!

i get by even with my non-understanding of french. pretty much i can figure out if i am eating beef or chicken, and i can tell what type of yummy desserts i can order! Fondue....crepes......beaver tails....tourtiere.....[and my grandma was french canadian]

super friendly people as well...

Hmmm....what am i doing on the long Fourth of July weekend?? Guess i have to see if i can squeeze in another trip!

show in Montreal years ago and everyone addressed me in French and I answered in English. We made it! I know they basically speak French, but from this experience, I know they understand English. It sounds charming. I didn't have time to sightsee then--but I think I will stay a few days this time. Sounds good to me.

We stayed in Montreal for 3 days after a cruise on Maasdam a couple of years ago. We stayed in a B&B near the harbor that was fantastic.

http://www.lesanssoucy.com/en/indexen.htm

Here is a write up of what we did when we were there.

We had made reservations at a small Bed and Breakfast named Les Passants du Sans Soucy Auberge. It was highly rated on several web sites and as it turned out Peggy and John, our dinner companions on the ship, had also booked their room for there. It was our second experience with a small B&B, our first being in Venice last year, and this one also exceeded our expectations. The breakfasts were very well prepared and delicious. The service at the B&B was always helpful and gave us good advice on various places to eat dinners (more on that later). Our room was large and had two big windows that looked out on rue St Paul one of the main and one of the oldest streets in Old Montreal. The king sized bed was comfortable and came with multiple pillows so we didn't need to ask for extras. The room had a fake fireplace that not only provided atmosphere but also provided heat. The bathroom included a jacuzzi tub and was appreciated after walking around Montreal all day. It is an excellent place for really nice get away in Montreal.

Enough about our rooms and on to Montreal. We naturally got there too early to check in so the hotel people said they would take care of the luggage and we wandered off to see some of the city with Peggy and John who had just arrived after walking up from the port.

We walked down rue St Paul towards the Place Jacquec Cartier, which is large public square, that runs from the port up the hill towards two large public buildings that are there. There is also a column with a statue of Nelson there that is one of the first erected to honor him. The two larges buildings are the Palace of Justice and the Montreal City hall. Right near there is a historic house that was the residence of one of the early governors of French Canada. we split with John and Peggy at this point after visiting the tourist office at the corner of the square. They had some other things to do and we wanted to check out the further end of Old Montreal. We went to the Bonsecours Market, which is currently an upscale shopping area, but previously has been the city hall, a concert hall and an agricultural market. Next to it we visited the Notre Dame de Bon Secours Chapel, which is also known as the sailors chapel. It originally dates from the 1650's but the current church is from the 17th and 18th century. There were models of various ships hanging from the ceiling of the chapel donated by sailors over the years. We visited the museum and decided to purchase a museum pass that would allow us access into 30 different museums and also access to the subway and bus system for 3 days. It cost us $39 each and we got most of that back over the first two days and definitely ended up ahead over the 3 1/2 days of our visit. The museum visit included a visit to the church tower that overlooks the harbor. It was a great place to take pictures of the harbor including the Maasdam, which was still there. The climb up was a little tiring but the pictures were worth it. Next you visited other areas of the museum. It was definitely a place worth visiting if you are going to be visiting Montreal.

We left here and walked back down rue St Paul. By now it was mid afternoon and we were both hungry so we found a restaurant that overlooked the harbor and had lunch. After that we went back to the hotel and were able to check in. The hotel staff had already moved all our luggage up to the room which was on what in the US what would be called the second floor but here was called the main or first floor. The first floor was called the street level. After resting a little and noticing it was getting close to 4:30 I wanted to go take some pictures of the Maasdam leaving Montreal. Trisha decided she could skip this extra walking so I went by myself. I wish I had taken time to put on my coat as the weather has cooled off quite a bit and on the harbor the wind was really quite cold. But I stuck it out until the Maasdam sailed around 5:20 or so. I got some good pictures of it pulling out of the dock and moving down the river. After that I walked back to the hotel and talk with the people there for a recommendation for some place for us to eat. Trisha had said she would like Italian so I asked about that and they suggested a restaurant right around the corner, Pavarotti on St Francois Xavier. I walked over and checked out the menu and got reservations for 7:30. By the way evidently for the nicer restaurants in Montreal reservations are almost required or at least they are on a holiday weekend. We got dressed and went to dinner. The meal was very good although even by ship's standards it took a little more time than I would have normally spent. We did the meal of the day, which included a soup or salad, an entree and a desert with coffee or tea. We had a nice bottle of wine and the meal finished around 10:30. We walked back to the hotel and called it a day.

Our second day in Montreal started with a great breakfast. I had French toast, juice, a fruit dish and great coffee. Trisha had a ham and cheese omelet, juice, fruit dish and hot tea. It made for a great way to start the day. We planned on visiting several museums today so after getting ready we started out. We went to the Museum of Montreal, excellent in presentation and content, and the Museum of Archeology, which also had excellent and well presented exhibits. We dropped back by our room and then decided to try the subway and go to Mount Royal. The subway system in Montreal all is excellent and we got to our stop with no problems. We walked through a very nice area of Montreal including a pedestrian plaza where we found a sidewalk cafe and we had lunch. We then walked on to McGill University, which is at the foot of Mount Royal. Here we realized the only way to the top seemed to be walking up a lot of stairs. We decided to give it up and we walked back to the subway and went back to the old Montreal area. We took a look at the Basilica of Notre Dame of Montreal's exterior and decided to come back tomorrow and visit it. After getting back to the hotel we asked for recommendations again for a restaurant and one of them they gave us was Les Pyresnees, which was on rue St Paul a couple of blocks from the hotel. It was a northern Spanish French restaurant that was family owned and run so we decided to try it at 8 PM. Once again the food and service were fantastic. One of the owners was our waiter and he suggested at excellent wine to go with our dinners. We did the same as the night before and did the dinner of the day with soup or salad, entree and desert. While neither meal was inexpensive, around $90 Canadian with a bottle of wine included, the food was well presented and tasted delicious. This is definitely a restaurant I would suggest people try if they are staying in Old Montreal. I had a salmon with a lobster sauce that was fantastic and Trisha had a pork dish again with a delicious sauce. Desert was also excellent. After dinner we walked back to the hotel after taking a short detour down to the harbor area.

The next morning we woke up and checked out our window only to find it was raining. Not pouring but definitely raining. We had planned on visiting more museums today including two on the island in the St Lawrence. There was a fort there I wanted to visit and the Biosphere from the 1967 World's Fair has been turned into a museum. We went down to breakfast and had another excellent meal to start our day. After that we prepared ourselves as best we could for our walk to the subway that would take us to the island all the way hoping the rain would let up. We had breakfast with John and Peggy and made plans to have dinner with them for our last evening in Montreal. The walk to the subway seemed much longer in the rain and wind but we finally got there. Once there we needed to take one line to a junction point where we would catch another line that would allow us access to the island of St Helene and Stewart Fort and Museum. When we arrived at the correct subway stop it was still raining so we decided to go to the Biosphere first since it was closer to the subway stop and hope the rain would let up. The biosphere was originally built for the 1967 Montreal World's fair but now contains a museum of Water. It had some interesting exhibits and we visited many of them. Unfortunately the rain was still coming down but we put on some ponchos we had with us and started out across the island to go to the fort. After a walk in the rain we finally got to the fort. Not too many people were around but our museum passes got us in and we went up to check out the museum and hoped the rain would quit so we could check out the outside of the fort. We found the exhibits of the museum to be interesting and there was a special exhibit of Chinese pottery that occupied the second floor of the museum. After we had been there about a 1/2 hour they announced a special tour for "Patriots day" and I decided to go. Trisha decided to wait it out in the area of the museum where they had some comfortable chairs. Patriots day is a province of Quebec only holiday that celebrates the fact the people, both French and English who rebelled against England in the 1830's. The tour included information on them and a tour of some of the exterior of the fort. Unfortunately it was still raining when it finished so Trisha and I trekked off in the rain to go across the island and get back to the subway. After another 20 minute or so walk across the island we were back on the subway and heading towards old Montreal. Once we got off the subway it was well into the afternoon and both of us were hungry so we started looking for someplace to eat. It turned out because this was a holiday many places were closed but we finally found a deli where we got a bowl of soup and a sandwich to tide us over. We then went to our last major destination of our visit to Montreal, which included the Place de Arms, the Old Seminary and Basilica of Notre Dame of Montreal. The Basilica was finished in the mid 18th century and is a beautiful example of church architecture. They were working on the lighting for a special show that they were having during the evening while we were there so the pictures we took have some interesting lighting effects. There is also a second chapel, the Sacred Heart Chapel, that is much more modern at the rear of the main chapel. The Seminary next store to the Basilica is the oldest standing building in Montreal having been originally built in the mid 16th century. We spent most of the rest of the afternoon here and finally wandered back to the hotel to pack and get ready for our last evening in Montreal.

After talking with John we decided to have dinner at a restaurant named Bonaparte's, which is owned by the same people who owed the B&B we were staying in. It was a French restaurant that was relatively close and with the rain continuing we figured that would be a good choice. We had the hotel make dinner reservations for 8. The restaurant was very nice and again the food and service were excellent. We ordered an Australian Riesling that went well with our dinners. We again did the meal with a soup, followed by an entree and a desert. The meal ended a little after 10 PM and we walked back to our hotel. We had gotten a desert wine on our tour in Halifax at the winery we visited and we had the hotel chill it and provide us with glasses so we could share it with Peggy and John before we all went to bed for the night. It was a nice way to finish off a great evening with new friends.

Unfortunately everything has to come to an end and on Tuesday morning we woke up early so we could have breakfast with Peggy and John who were leaving on the Amtrak train around 10 AM in the morning. After another excellent breakfast we said good-bye for now to both of our new friends and went back to our room to finish our packing for our 2 PM flight back home. We asked the hotel to call a cab to pick us up around 11:30 so we would be getting to the airport a couple of hours before our flight. We had a little time before the cab so I made one last walk around Old Montreal and took some more pictures just in case some of the others we had taken didn’t come out. Trisha decided to sit this one out and was waiting on me when I got back. We got our luggage moved down to the lobby with some help from the hotel staff and waited for the cab to arrive with one last cup of the hotel’s excellent coffee.

The cab drive out to the airport made us realize how big a city Montreal actually is and how little we really saw by concentrating on Old Montreal. Oh well maybe someday we can go back.

We definitely felt the stay was worthwhile and that there was plenty to do and see during our stay.

Have a great next cruise.

We are going in October. I wonder if it is going to be really cold! I am trying to figure out what to bring, but I know layering is the "thing". Thanks for the WONDERFUL review. You are much appreciated.

HI Caroldoll,

The good news is you can get around a lot of Montreal by using the underground transportation system. We used their version of the tube several times and it was clean and fast. Here are a couple of links to check out on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_city,_Montreal

http://www.vieux.montreal.qc.ca/plaque/horizon/gares/eng/gare_5a.htm

http://www.montrealkiosk.com/montreal-tour/Underground-City.php

I understand in the really cold months of winter many people use the underground as much as possible to avoid the bad weather.

Have a great next cruise and trip.

We are going in October. I wonder if it is going to be really cold! I am trying to figure out what to bring, but I know layering is the "thing". Thanks for the WONDERFUL review. You are much appreciated.

When in October are you coming? Temps could really range that time of year but also depending on if it's at the beginning or the end of the month.

Just before my birthday.... Montreal starts to really cool around that time of the year. Generally in the last decade we haven't seen snow until late December, I strongly suggest a warmer jacket by then, if only because the weather can be a bit unpredictable and you don't want to be caught with too thin a jacket.

• 2 weeks later...
I would say. Stay.

In the summer time, there is always a festival going on.

The Old port has a European charm but we are also a great modern city.

What am I, chopped liver?

Born in Montreal, raised in Montreal, live in Montreal and run a B&B in Montreal.

What am I, chopped liver?

Born in Montreal, raised in Montreal, live in Montreal and run a B&B in Montreal.

Sorry if I offended you. I am new to this site. Saw how helpful "locals" were and thought I would "pay back" the community by offering my help in my own town. I did not realized you had this covered........ sorry

Sorry if I offended you. I am new to this site. Saw how helpful "locals" were and thought I would "pay back" the community by offering my help in my own town. I did not realized you had this covered........ sorry

I wasn't offended, not at all. Just mentioning that you aren't the only one around here. Feel welcome to pipe in, just remember that you and I aren't the only Montrealer's around here. There are quite a few. (My comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek)

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I will be staying at this hotel for one night after our cruise on Sept. 6th. Can you please give me any tips on what to see and eat and do in one day from the hotel?

If you are coming in on a cruise ship you will probably be at the hotel before noon. They will or at did hold luggage until check-in so go there first and leave your luggage.

Then walk down rue St Paul. the street the hotel is on, to Place Jacquec Cartier, which is large public square. There is a statue of Nelson on a column at the top. Continue down to Bonsecours Market and stop if you are looking for a unique and sometimes expensive souvenir. If not continue to the Notre Dame de Bon Secours Chapel, which is also known as the sailors chapel. It originally dates from the 1650's but the current church is from the 17th and 18th century. There were models of various ships hanging from the ceiling of the chapel donated by sailors over the years. Then visit to the church tower that overlooks the harbor. It was a great place to take pictures of the harbor including the ship you arrived on, which was still there. The climb up was a little tiring but the pictures were worth it. Next you visited other areas of the museum. It was definitely a place worth visiting if you are going to be visiting Montreal.

After that go back down rue St Paul or go down to the street that runs along the river and find a place for lunch. After lunch go back by the hotel see if you can check in, officially and get reservations for dinner. I would suggest either Les Pyresnees, which was on rue St Paul a couple of blocks from the hotel. It was a northern Spanish French restaurant that was family owned and run so we decided to try it at 8 PM. Once again the food and service were fantastic. One of the owners was our waiter and he suggested at excellent wine to go with our dinners. We did the same as the night before and did the dinner of the day with soup or salad, entree and desert. While neither meal was inexpensive, around $90 Canadian with a bottle of wine included, the food was well presented and tasted delicious. This is definitely a restaurant I would suggest people try if they are staying in Old Montreal. I had a salmon with a lobster sauce that was fantastic and Trisha had a pork dish again with a delicious sauce. Desert was also excellent.

Another option would be Bonaparte's, which is owned by the same people who owed the B&B we were staying in. It was a French restaurant that was relatively close and with the rain continuing we figured that would be a good choice. We had the hotel make dinner reservations for 8. The restaurant was very nice and again the food and service were excellent. We ordered an Australian Riesling that went well with our dinners. We again did the meal with a soup, followed by an entree and a desert.

After that I would walk up to the Place de Arms, the Old Seminary and Basilica of Notre Dame of Montreal. The Basilica was finished in the mid 18th century and is a beautiful example of church architecture. There is also a second chapel, the Sacred Heart Chapel, that is much more modern at the rear of the main chapel. The Seminary next store to the Basilica is the oldest standing building in Montreal having been originally built in the mid 16th century. After seeing it you should be able to get back to the port area to watch your ship sail away. You will get some great pictures of the ship as it travels down the river. Then head back to hotel to get ready to go to dinner and enjoy an evening in Montreal. There are lots of bars and clubs in and around the rue St Paul and Place Jacquec Cartier if you are still feeling active after eating dinner.

That would give you at least a pretty good view of old Montreal in a one day visit. It combines some of what we did on a couple of days and will definitely be a busy day.

Enjoy your stay in Montreal.

Archived