Weather 6/23 Monarch- 4 day cruise

Hello,

Am trying to figure out what to pack for this cruise. Caribbean would be easy as it is HOT there. Would a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt be necessary? I have memories of the San Diego Zoo in June that was so cold we had to buy $50 sweatshirts in the gift shop! I can only imagine that it could be much chillier at sea!

Thanks!

Lolly

Well, the coast in June is really iffy. When the inland areas (and often we're talking only 10 miles over a few hills) heat up, the inversion layer (marine layer) gets "sucked" into communities right on the coast. Residents call it "June Gloom"--and it is kind of weird to watch "waves" of fog coming in on the winds or reading that the temperature differential just "over the hill" is +45 degrees above the coast.

The past few years, June Gloom has lasted about 4 months on the central coast (don't know about south coast so much). This year, we've had our spring winds continuing on for weeks beyond the usual season. Either way, the coast itself has been fairly cool most of the time with very warm (80s) days interspersed.

You'll be going to San Diego, Catalina, and Ensenada? Expect high 60s to low 70s in San Diego. (Caveat: If a Santa Ana is forecast and comes in strong, which we've had twice in the past 2 months, expect it to be at least 80 in San Diego and "hard to guess" on Catalina.) The lows will likely be in the low 60s (maybe high 50s, but not too likely). The temperature differential is not usually all that big in June in San Diego. It could be similar on Catalina, but is more likely to be warmer (maybe high 70s to low 80s), but about the same for evening lows (it cools quickly on the island).

No matter what the weather, bring layers. Lightweight slacks should be fine if you get cold, but long shorts are more typical for locals. There are many people who prefer jeans, but honestly, I don't think you need to bring them unless you get really cold with temps in the 60s. If it's sunny, it will feel warmer than it actually is. Light tops plus light sweater and a lightweight jacket or fleece should be quite fine. And sandals.

The best advice is what you've already got: Check the weather websites a few days before your cruise and adjust accordingly.

cruisegirl1: Well, jeans not so much, but sweater or sweatshirt? Absolutely! We layer here year round. Shorts with layers (tanktop or shirt under lightweight shirt or sweater under sweatshirt/hoodie/light jacket/fleece or some combination) and sandals or walking-type shoes. One of the reasons we layer is that our micro-climates are really micro. Just to go "to town" (that would be inland 25 to 30 minute's drive), we can have temps change from 62 at home to 78 in town and 95 in the coastal valley. We end up doing the "on and off" dance several times some days.

beachchick

Well, the coast in June is really iffy. When the inland areas (and often we're talking only 10 miles over a few hills) heat up, the inversion layer (marine layer) gets "sucked" into communities right on the coast. Residents call it "June Gloom"--and it is kind of weird to watch "waves" of fog coming in on the winds or reading that the temperature differential just "over the hill" is +45 degrees above the coast.

The past few years, June Gloom has lasted about 4 months on the central coast (don't know about south coast so much). This year, we've had our spring winds continuing on for weeks beyond the usual season. Either way, the coast itself has been fairly cool most of the time with very warm (80s) days interspersed.

You'll be going to San Diego, Catalina, and Ensenada? Expect high 60s to low 70s in San Diego. (Caveat: If a Santa Ana is forecast and comes in strong, which we've had twice in the past 2 months, expect it to be at least 80 in San Diego and "hard to guess" on Catalina.) The lows will likely be in the low 60s (maybe high 50s, but not too likely). The temperature differential is not usually all that big in June in San Diego. It could be similar on Catalina, but is more likely to be warmer (maybe high 70s to low 80s), but about the same for evening lows (it cools quickly on the island).

No matter what the weather, bring layers. Lightweight slacks should be fine if you get cold, but long shorts are more typical for locals. There are many people who prefer jeans, but honestly, I don't think you need to bring them unless you get really cold with temps in the 60s. If it's sunny, it will feel warmer than it actually is. Light tops plus light sweater and a lightweight jacket or fleece should be quite fine. And sandals.

The best advice is what you've already got: Check the weather websites a few days before your cruise and adjust accordingly.

cruisegirl1: Well, jeans not so much, but sweater or sweatshirt? Absolutely! We layer here year round. Shorts with layers (tanktop or shirt under lightweight shirt or sweater under sweatshirt/hoodie/light jacket/fleece or some combination) and sandals or walking-type shoes. One of the reasons we layer is that our micro-climates are really micro. Just to go "to town" (that would be inland 25 to 30 minute's drive), we can have temps change from 62 at home to 78 in town and 95 in the coastal valley. We end up doing the "on and off" dance several times some days.

beachchick

I live in Orange County and will be on the Monarch the week before you....yeah! As the other posted said June is nicknamed "June Gloom" because it can be very chilly in Southern California this time of year.

My sister is coming out from Colorado to join me for the cruise, her first, and I just advised her to be prepared for probable cooler weather. We do love our shorts and sweatshirts!

My advise, check the weather but be sure to pack that sweatshirt anyway!

This was very helpful. Thank you. I was just going on what I remember when we lived in Yuma, AZ and would visit San Diego in the summer. We'd leave 115 degree weather to 60 degrees in just over a 2 hour drive. I will definitely have everyone bring some light layers.

I saw California and San Diego referenced here and not quite sure why.

The Monarch of the Seas is no longer in the California area, we now have the Vision of the Seas. I beleive that the Monarch is now located in Florida. The weather in Florida is quite different that California in June.

I was on a Caribbean cruise (Freedom of the Seas) June 2006 and never needed a jacket or sweater nor did I wear Pants out side of the ship. The weather was great, a little humid but nice.

Archived