Just back from Wind Surf Nice - Barcelona

Scotswoman

Last week, the Travel Channel was on board Wind Surf, and from all that we could observe, they will be able to show a lot of very satisfied cruisers when the documentary appears on TV. We heard little or no moans on this trip - apart from a few about the weather, for which Wind Star can really not be held responsible.

The whole crew was unfailingly helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Anything we requested was seen to without delay - and with a smile.

As for the food - we dined twice in Degrees and enjoyed both special menues very much - with the tiny exception of one starter where the accompanying sauce was not to our taste. We also dined twice at Le Marché, where we were served a handsome and delicious platter of absolutely fresh seafood at dusk on the upper deck. This was followed by some "real" cheese - excellent choices of Roquefort, Rembluchon, mature Amsterdam, Brie and several more, served with delicious fresh, crusty bread. The first evening we dined in the main dining room, and on one occasion at Candles, where both my husband´s swordfish and my steak, served on rustic wooden boards, were to our taste.

The choice of freshly made items at breakfast in the Veranda was as varied as anyone could wish for; one could help oneself to the buffet, but there was a different menu on each table every morning with varying kinds of quiche, pancakes, egg dishes. On our tour of the galley during the sea day, the Austrian chef Erwin was at pains to assure us that there were no "ready made mixes" in his kitchen. Everything is made fresh from scratch. And so it certainly also seemed to us. The Danish pastries were the best we have ever had on any ship!

Afternoon tea in the Compass Rose is a true delight and not to be missed!

The staterooms were roomy and well appointed, cleanliness evident throughout the ship.

All in all, a cruising experience that anyone who is not impossibly pampered could only enjoy!

If anyone has any specific questions, I´d be glad to answer.

Scotswoman

Candles is aft on Main Deck; Le Marché is aft on Star Deck. Reservations for both are taken at the Reception Desk, where the menu for each restaurant is also available for perusal.

Scotswoman.

What?? I am puzzled also. There were no such restaurants when I was aboard and they are not listed on Windstar's web page. It seems odd that such a small ship would have four restaurants.

Can someone else clarify?

The new restaruants were only a couple weeks old on our Monaco GP cruise. They were a great addition. I ditto the comments about chef

Erwin. He is amazing. I never saw a chef more accessable and more

caring about the passengers experience. He was everywhere checking on

all aspects of food service. I also agree about the fresh prep of everything. I stumbled onto the galley tour one morning and was very impressed.

The Winsurf is back!!

Great staff,

Great food,

I also enjoyed fellow passengers that were not stuffy but fun and friendly.

Im ready to book a future trip on this ship as long as they keep

chef Erwin!!

Nice review. We're doing Venice-Rome July 6. There have been so many negative Windspirit/Windsurf reviews, that it's nice to see a few positive comments. We love our Windspirit Athens-istanbul cruise last year, which is why we did not hesitate to book again this year.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We're thinking of going on the Wind Surf on the 20th of July. (They offer a real good price!). It's a cruise from Barcelona to Monta Carlo, so I assume it will be pretty much like the cruise you made. We have made some other cruises in the past with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess so this will be something else. I was wondering if Windstar has arranged for shuttle service in the ports of call? Or do you have to take care of that on your own?

Archived