Celebrity Century Mediterranean Cruise

nonnie1998

We haven't cruised in over 15 years and just booked this cruise for husband's 60th birthday in the fall.

Anyone who has been on the 11 day cruise out of Barcelona--to France/Italy/Corsica/Gibralter/Casablanca we would love some info on what to do in the various ports--taking the 8-10 hour trips the ship has as shore excursions does not really appeal to us.

Any info/suggestions would be great!

Hi! We have done the Med twice by cruise ship. It really is an amazing experience. Where are you going in Italy and in France and I can give you some advice... Definitely spend a few days in Barcelona. We did not go on the Century, we sailed with Royal Caribbean both times, but we are going on the Century in another month to the Baltics. I can tell you more about the ship then... but as far as the ports, why don't you list the exact places you are stopping and I will be more than glad to help:)

Thanks--any info would be great--here is where it goes departs Barcelona, Provence (Marseilles), Nice (Vilefransche--sp??) Livorno (Florence) Rome,Ajaccio Corsica,Girbralter--UK,Casablanca and Tangier Morocco--11 days total.

I know we don't want to trek all the way to Florence and Rome as we have been there on our own previously and don't want to spend that much time getting back and forth.

Any idea whether there are any travel books that might also give some ideas.

Again thanks in advance!

We get to Barcelona two days before cruise departs and also 1-2 days on our return so any suggestions for there would work!

Hmmm... well, we loved Villefranche sur mer... Once we took the train into Monaco and once we took the train and then bus to Eze. We loved Eze. It is such a gorgeous place. If I were to do it again though, I would just take a taxi to Eze and back. For a little more money, you get more out of your day.

As for Florence... I love Florence, and we took the train last time and it was very simple. I know that people LOVE Luccia. I have a great Italy book by Eyewitness Guide. I am not a big fan of Rick Steves books, but he does have some useful information on getting around on your own. He has a good Italy book as well... I have his Tuscany region book, and it has some great ideas.

Rome... we hired a private tour guide both times we went. When we sail the Med next June, the cruise originates out of Rome and I am so happy that we will finally have some time there on our own.

Barcelona... I would buy a ticket for the hop on hop off bus. That is what we did the first year, and it worked out really well. It is a very easy city to wander around on your own. We really enjoyed walking the boardwalk by the beach. We stayed in a great hotel if you're interested... it is just off Las Ramblas with a view of the marina.

I haven't been to your other stops... but I hear Corsica is gorgeous... and Marseilles too. BUT... I LOVE France, so I don't think you can go wrong there :)

Have a great trip!:D

We did a similar itin on this ship--but not tangiers or casablanca... We took the long ships excursions in floroence & Rome so can't help with ideas there . our two days pre-cruise in Barcelona were wonderful--we walked everywhere & saw so much! (watch you purse & wallets)

We took a ship's tour through Nice (our port was cannes) & loved it-lovely market, beautiful homes & old hotels, & cafes & beachfront walk--if you dock there a tour is not needed--get some nice soaps at the market!

Corisca you can do on your own walking tour--the ship's excursions out to the red rocks was very long & tormenting spent lots of time in a cenetery along the route, & finally left the walking part of tour in town--very charming but best done on foot on your own..the whole place is about napoleon.. nice shops near the waterfront

For the marseille stop we did a ship's tour to Aix en provence..could easily take the ships tour called "on your own "(it's much cheaper since it is just a bus ride there & back with no tour)--it gets you there & you have more time on your own.. We loved it--fountains, got beautiful sunflowers, lovely shops, lavender galore... need coins for the restrooms..

although century is not our fav ship, I think it is perfect for this itinerary! Food & service excellent! & no big crowds...Enjoy your trip

Not really sure just what you are looking for, but I found this site to be immensely informative and helpful. Plus it's fun to look at all the photos. It's in plain English, so very easy to read and understand the directions. Very easy to navigate the site too. I printed each port of our 12 day Eastern Med cruise for Oct '08.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples.htm

Archived