Will Celebrity be next to "up" the fuel surcharges???

usha

Time for that age old bit of economic wisdom I used to give my brothers and sister when they'd throw that same argument at me. I used to tell them they needed to save some money toward retirement, and they would counter with, "What happens to all your money if you retire and then die within six months?" My answer then, is the same as it is now. I know what happens after I die and I'm at peace with that, but what happens to you if you retire, have saved so little money and then live for 30 years? By the way, my saving all those years, allowed me to retire 11 years ago at the age of 42.

That is very worthwhile advice for someone who has to choose between spending money on a vacation or having a 'nest egg' for retirement...but the person you responded to sounds like he has his retirement taken care of.

Time for that age old bit of economic wisdom I used to give my brothers and sister when they'd throw that same argument at me. I used to tell them they needed to save some money toward retirement, and they would counter with, "What happens to all your money if you retire and then die within six months?" My answer then, is the same as it is now. I know what happens after I die and I'm at peace with that, but what happens to you if you retire, have saved so little money and then live for 30 years? By the way, my saving all those years, allowed me to retire 11 years ago at the age of 42.

As always:

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise!

Bob

Maybe you could come out of retirement so you can save some more money, and be able to keep cruising? Just a pragmatic suggestion...:o

Maybe you could come out of retirement so you can save some more money, and be able to keep cruising? Just a pragmatic suggestion...:o

Pragmatic, yes, but I just couldn't give up my volunteer work. Helping others manage their money serves a much more important purpose. Anyway, we got to enjoy two very nice cruises last year, and hope to get a good deal on a cruise next year (Perhaps one that leave from a little closer to home). A one year hiatus isn't the end of the world, and we'll get to see a little bit of the "OLD" home state as well.

Bob

P.S. Susan: The advice wasn't necessarily for the poster, but the poster's comment was a good lead in to my response.

Bobblsc: "You must have gone to school at Oregon State University. Aren't they the Ducks? :D"

You're just fooling with me now, but I'll bite! Oregon State: Beavers. The University of Oregon: Ducks! Bob

Well, sort of. I thought there must be a big rivalry, and I really have been confused about which school has which mascot. So I looked up both on the web and now I can remember. Does Oregon have a real duck in captivity for show? They used to have a huge hog here at Arkansas, but something happened to him. People had suspicions when shortly after he disappeared, several Bar-B-Que places in town had advertised specials. ;)

My old school, Missouri, never had a real tiger, but LSU did.

Your state is very nice. Some years ago we stayed a few nights in Portland after driving on Hy 101 from San Francisco. The Portland Japanese garden is the best we have ever seen, even in Japan.

Our daughter and her band played in Eugene this June 4. She said it was a very nice town. www.wilderscountry.com :cool:

I am afraid this thread is about exhausted, and that it will stop getting posts soon. There could be a lot more written on this topic, but I will just stand by that which I have already stated.

I hope the speculators are way off base. If so the price of oil will adjust downward. They have to be trading in oil futures, but I have not noticed a typical futures time. But then I haven't really looked either.

Bob :rolleyes:

Well, sort of. I thought there must be a big rivalry, and I really have been confused about which school has which mascot. So I looked up both on the web and now I can remember. Does Oregon have a real duck in captivity for show? They used to have a huge hog here at Arkansas, but something happened to him. People had suspicions when shortly after he disappeared, several Bar-B-Que places in town had advertised specials. ;)

My old school, Missouri, never had a real tiger, but LSU did.

Your state is very nice. Some years ago we stayed a few nights in Portland after driving on Hy 101 from San Francisco. The Portland Japanese garden is the best we have ever seen, even in Japan.

Our daughter and her band played in Eugene this June 4. She said it was a very nice town. www.wilderscountry.com :cool:

I am afraid this thread is about exhausted, and that it will stop getting posts soon. There could be a lot more written on this topic, but I will just stand by that which I have already stated.

I hope the speculators are way off base. If so the price of oil will adjust downward. They have to be trading in oil futures, but I have not noticed a typical futures time. But then I haven't really looked either.

Bob :rolleyes:

Actually, the University of Oregon Duck is none other than Donald Duck. Yes, UO is the only college with a Disney character as its official mascot. It was originally arranged between the Oregon AD and Walt Disney, with a handshake, way back before Disney became famous. It was sealed in a contract in 1999, but the contract doesn't allow the University of Oregon to sell memorabilia with the Donald Duck logo outside the state of Oregon. Real mallards and other ducks roam the campus freely.

Eugene is the home of the University of Oregon, and Portland is where I grew up. Eugene is also home of the 2008 Olympic Track and Field Trials, which begin in about three weeks.

Bob

It should work this way, but not necessarily. When RCI first added fuel surcharges they tried to apply them retroactively to cruises that were already booked. In order to do so, they added a new paragraph to the Cruise Contract that allows them to add any charges at any time, even after you have booked and paid a deposit. With the first fuel charge, the problem that they incurred is that they changed the Cruise Contract after you had paid the deposit. Now, if you read the Cruise Contract they could theoretically add whatever they want, up until you board the ship.

Hypo

Our travel agent confirmed with Celebrity that our fuel surcharge will remain the same since we are booked.

As long as gas prices continue to escalate the price of Everything will continue to go up.Thank God we don't commute but we do eat and the price of food and anything else we consume will continue to skyrocket.I used to read the posts about being able to continue to afford cruises with a smile and yeah right drop your Starbucks habit and you can continue to cruise.It's not so funny anymore.The middle class is being squeezed out of being able to cruise.IMHO.We had two cruises scheduled for the next year.We are now looking at taking the deposit for our second cruise and applying it towards our former cruise final payment.This might be our last cruise due to the economy.We live in California and everything has changed.But isn't it great we cruised when we could!I never imagined one cruise much less 6 in the past seven years.I count my blesings where they lay...Kathy

Archived