JR's - The answer from RCI

So I don't get what people are up in arms about? They want it all ... cheap cruise prices and free food at JR's. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way and successful businesses can't survive in this pricing environment without making revenue from onboard venues.

People are up in arms because Johnny Rockets was free in the past and now carries a surcharge. It is not $3.95, it's the fear that other shipboard services that have traditionally been free in the past will have surcharges added to them as well to increase revenue. Room service has always been free but they could just as easily add a surcharge. The gym has always been free but a surcharge could be added. For that matter, they could start charging for lounge chairs near the pool. The fear is that the imposition of a surcharge at Johnny Rockets which was previously free is just the beginning of surcharges at other previously free venues. While the cruise line does indeed have to make money, the question is where they will draw the line. Most people still envision a cruise as a somewhat all inclusive vacation. There are things that have never been included in the base price such as shore excursions, alcohol, photos, etc. and no one that cruises expects to get these things for free. Conversely, there are many things that have traditionally been part of the cruise package and people still expect them to be part of the cruise package. The fear is that items traditionally included in the cruise package will now need to be purchased separately.

I'm not worried about that happening in an unlimited manner, because well-run businesses charge for things only to the extent that customers value those things. In my previous career, I had the opportunity to see many well-run businesses, and none charged for things if doing so would reduce overall profitability. What I think you're indicating, though, is a very legitimate concern that perhaps RCI is realizing that their product is under-priced (priced lower than the value of the product as perceived by the average customer), and that because of that they can raise prices, either directly or via surcharages, without fear of hurting profitability. Walt Disney World went through a similar scenario a few years ago: Their hotels, especially, were very good values, and were running at 90% load levels annually (in an industry where an average annual load level of 65% is impressive). They did indeed raise prices to ensure they didn't lose more revenue opportunities as a result of under-pricing their service.

I ate at JR's once on my cruise last year, just for the experience. I did notice how terrible the lines were at lunch time. I got on the line 15 minutes before it opened so that we could get a table. By the time we left, there were about 50 people on line. This was on VOS with no cover charge.

To me, I'd rather pay the cover charge and have no wait, then to save the money. I don't like having to pay extra, but I think the effect on crowd control could be significant.

What are YOU getting so testy about? You stated that there are other burger/fries options and I asked what they are. And they are not the same as every other cruise ship in the world as you stated. They are not available at Cafe Prominade or afternoon tea. As for room service- burgers yes, fries I don't know. And the Voyager ships have no poolside grill as many of the other cruise ships in the world do.

It sounds like you already knew the answer, so why did you ask the question? I don't believe I ever stated that the Cafe Promenade or afternoon tea would have fries. I mentioned these as options to obtain general food after the Windjammer closes. It's true the Voyager class does not have an outdoor grill, but then again neither do many other ships. The buffet restaurant (Windjammer and Island Grill), which is adjacent to the pool acts as the grill. The hours are the same as other ships that have a dedicated grill outside by the pool.

I'm not sure about ordering fries at room service, but I know you can get a burger. Again, this is no different than any other ship. Once the buffet restaurant closes, your options become more limited. They are actually a lot less limited on the Voyager Class then many other ships. In fact on many mass-market lines a burger is not offered on the room service menu. Carnival has a cold-only menu for their room service offerings.

My point is that JR's is not taking away any existing food options, only adding to them. Many RCI ships currently don't offer a JR's. I'm not sure how the passengers actually manage on those ships! ;) Of course we know that will be changing soon.

Ernie

I ate at JR's once on my cruise last year, just for the experience. I did notice how terrible the lines were at lunch time. I got on the line 15 minutes before it opened so that we could get a table. By the time we left, there were about 50 people on line. This was on VOS with no cover charge.

To me, I'd rather pay the cover charge and have no wait, then to save the money. I don't like having to pay extra, but I think the effect on crowd control could be significant.

I've never seen a line at JR's at midnight. The charge is obviously for something other than crowd control then.

I am still waiting for the crusaders to carry the day, as I thought they were engaged is this righteous cause. Apparantly, we are one day closer to the day when they don't darken the door anymore.:D

I will go back to sleep now.

jc

As long as they don't reduce the choices available that are included in the cruise fare, I could care less if they add pay as you go choices. BUT I'm still p/o from when they started to charge for the one soda I had per day in the dining room with dinner.

-Monte

Bottom line: Supply and demand will take its course and control the destiny of this issue. Our ranting will not make a difference to RCI. Just wasting our time. :)

I've got a feeling that the only "ranting & raving" will be by the parents of all those "little angels" that have multiple JR charges on their Seapass accounts.

As I've stated before, JR's was a favorite hangout for the, shall I say "younger crowd" and I'm sure part of the reason for implementing the charge was to cut down on the waste the little angels kept leaving on the tables. I've seen it personally, a group of kids get their plates, eat about half and leave the rest on the table for JR employees to clean up. Then the go straight back in line and get something different. Hopefully this policy will cut back on all the tot traffic.7_2_103v.gif

Stretch

[quote name='Brad1185']Monte, thats exactly what happened with the JR thing. You should care.[/QUOTE]

I guess I can buy that on the ships that started with free JR's. But the ships that they are adding it to, will be charge from day one.

But, I don't think I'd let a burger charge stop me from any cruise, just like the soda charge in the dining rooms doesn't stop me.

-Monte

JUST 3.95? Nope. We're a family of four, so it'd be $12 for us to eat at JRs. But that's not quite the truth: We'd already have paid for our cruise meals, so it'd be a regular lunch meal PLUS $12.

Will this make a difference in whether we cruise RCCI? No.

Will it make a different in whether we eat at JRs? Yes.

If the real problem is teens hanging out for hours, preventing others from getting tables, or ordering food and not eating it, there are other ways to deal with the problem. First thing that comes to mind: give each cabin one coupon for JRs. That'll eliminate overcrowding and hanging out.

Just to be difficult . . . suppose, like a previous poster, I wanted some fries to eat by the pool. Could I go to JRs, pay my $3.95, and pick up FOUR ORDERS of fries and FOUR MILKSHAKES (one for each member of my family)? Or would I have to pay four surcharges?

If RC is really trying to eliviate over-crowding, then the answer is $3.95. On the other hand, if they're trying to make money without raising cruise prices, then the answer is $11.80.

If someone doesn't want to pay the 3.95 per person, don't eat at J.R. If someone does, then pay the darn 3.95!! If you want to pay 25-30 bucks for dinner at Portofino, then eat there. If not, DON'T! These are options, people. It's not like RCCL is charging you for a full priced meal! Trust me, it would cost a LOT more per person to eat at a JRs on land. "Only" 3.95 is a steal.

I'm sure RCCL has it's reasons for charging the 3.95 now. Crowd-control? Maybe. Contract with JR? Maybe? Cost of maintaining JR going into the red?? Maybe. Who knows. Who cares.

Remember the days when JRs and Portofinos didn't exist??? There's plenty of food onboard that's FREE (or no additional cost). Let's not forget what cruising is all about . . . the entertainment, the classes, the beauty of the open sea, room service, elaborate breakfasts, lunches, dinners . . . buffets, pools, hot tubs, mini golf, rock climbing, and amazing ports of call. Cruising offers you so much in the cruise ticket price. C'mon, can you really complain???

If yes-- DON'T CRUISE!

You said it all, leighuf! I'm on vacation...if I want to do something and it costs money, then I'll have to either pay or not do it. I didn't book this cruise thinking it was a cheap (sorry...inexpensive) vacation with no additional costs once onboard. I say, have a drink special of the day and to heck with it...after all, I could be at work!

Right on target, leighuf. Supply and demand will govern this issue, as all others related to pricing and service offerings. Pricing, specifically, is determined by how much customers value things. In that vein, conceptually, added surcharges for items that previously were included in the cruise fare reduce the upward pressure on the cruise fare itself.

Just a thought here and I think Leighuf may have said it correctly, contract with JR's. Maybe they put the restaurants on the RCI ships as a test with the understanding if it worked then they would implement the surcharge and JR's would receive some profit from it. Just like you pay for Ben and Jerry's how come no one complains about that???? And if I'm not mistaken you can get hamburgers and french fries and hot dogs and pizza for nothing in the Solarium.
I personally (and don't yell at me please) think JR's is disgusting they went broke in Kansas City!
Just something to think about its not a requirement to eat there as others have stated.

Archived