What is the best method to get to Piraeus port in Athens?

I will be cruising with Oceania starting in Athens and wondered if anyone can compare their bus transfer process with 1) either trying to get a taxi after I get my bags at the airport or 2) scheduling a taxi via the internet before leaving home or 3) hiring a private car if it doesn't cost much more. Are taxis reliable or is it better to hire a private car for efficiency purposes? I am concerned about waiting around for the Oceania bus to fill up before it departs and after a long flight, I would like to just grab the bags and go. If anyone can recommend the best method of transfer, I would appreciate it. Thanks much.

• 2 weeks later...

Taxis are plentiful in the Athens airport and they are easy to find, but they operate an almost universal scam. The daytime fare schedule is number 1. It is located on the trip meter. LOOK FOR IT. Most flights arrive from North America in the morning and passengers have been flying all night. The driver will try to take advantage of the fact that you are tired, and distracted. He'll be friendly and you'll be in a hurry. Check that trip meter BEFORE the taxi pulls away from the curb. Usually, the driver has set the fair schedule to number 2. It means they are charging you the night rate and it will double the fare for the trip to the port. If you call him on it , he will be all apologetic and say he just forgot to change it over after a long night. They will tell you it is impossible to change it to the day rate once the taxi is in motion. You are usually tempted to just let it go. I doubt there is a taxi driver out there that doesn't at least try this one. Why not? They think we are too rich to miss the money, and at least, they are friendly about it.

Get a current tourist book about Athens and learn what the going rate is for a taxi. If the driver insists that you pay the exorbitant fare shown on the trip meter once you get to the port, give him the amount you were expecting to pay and offer to go get the security people at the cruise terminal to arbitrate the dispute. They are right there by the door anyway. That is usually all it takes.

Having said all that, Athens is a great city.

Taxis are plentiful in the Athens airport and they are easy to find, but they operate an almost universal scam. The daytime fare schedule is number 1. It is located on the trip meter. LOOK FOR IT. Most flights arrive from North America in the morning and passengers have been flying all night. The driver will try to take advantage of the fact that you are tired, and distracted. He'll be friendly and you'll be in a hurry. Check that trip meter BEFORE the taxi pulls away from the curb. Usually, the driver has set the fair schedule to number 2. It means they are charging you the night rate and it will double the fare for the trip to the port. If you call him on it , he will be all apologetic and say he just forgot to change it over after a long night. They will tell you it is impossible to change it to the day rate once the taxi is in motion. You are usually tempted to just let it go. I doubt there is a taxi driver out there that doesn't at least try this one. Why not? They think we are too rich to miss the money, and at least, they are friendly about it.

Get a current tourist book about Athens and learn what the going rate is for a taxi. If the driver insists that you pay the exorbitant fare shown on the trip meter once you get to the port, give him the amount you were expecting to pay and offer to go get the security people at the cruise terminal to arbitrate the dispute. They are right there by the door anyway. That is usually all it takes.

Having said all that, Athens is a great city.

That is great advice and I can testify it is totally true. We recently ran into a related scam at the Barcelona airport. When we got in the taxi the driver was smart enough not to try a night rate. But, they have a button they push to add-on the costs of carrying luggage (this is legit and should be about .85 Euros per piece). Well, he quickly hit that button at least 10 times really upping our fare. I said nothing until we arrived at the port. At that point I looked at the meter (now at 34 Euros) and told the driver I was going to get the police to look at the meter (the police were only a few feet away). He quickly agreed that 25 Euros would be OK.

Archived