Just a heads up if you are flying AA

Murphey

We had this experience too, Murphey--we are holding American tickets booked with miles --Phoenix to and from Copenhagen--for our August cruise. They keep changing us so that we only have 35 minutes to make our connection after arriving in Chicago to Heathrow--and that 35 min. includes the trek to the Internat'l Terminal! American keeps telling us it is a legal connection. I know WE could probably make it if we arrive on time, but I really want my luggage to arrive with me!!! We think it is cutting it way too close. American claims that the computer changes it because they want to put us on the closest possible connection. We have to keep checking online ourselves, as we booked last fall as soon as it was possible. They will change it for us when we call, but it is pretty much an hour-long procedure.

I went through the Panama Canal once--San Diego to San Juan--without my suitcase! :( Never again!

These "free" tickets are great, but they really make us work for them!!

Southwest Airlines.

I am lucky, I live in Maryland and Southwest flies to all US based ports, or close to them (say FLL vs. Miami), with many on non-stop flights. I also fly them often for business so I get about 8 freebies per year and my wife flies free (I do not work for them).

THe reality is that their fares are always competitive, they have more resources and are more profitable than any other domestic airline and they do not have any luggage fees - and don't misplace many bags. I have flown them to Seattle, Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego for cruises. If only they went to Europe.

Chris

I hear ya Chris!! Southwest right now is looking good. We booked on AA because we have a fare amount of miles built up and thought we better use them before they go out of business~~:eek:

Mirco: Yes, I know about the connection issue..they have us with a 45 minute connection at DFW, which I think is skinny, even if we leave our 1st flight on time, but at least we are flying in 2 days ahead.....time for us and luggage to catch up!

But it does bring back my concerns whether the hassle is going to be worth it for future cruises.

You can bet I will continue to check our status each week......we don't make final payment until Aug.....I hope we don't have to chuck the whole thing!!!!

90% of the time I fly in the day before and going forward it looks like this will be even more important. A good rule is to check your flights weekly and then daily the week prior to leaving just to ensure there haven't been changes. And buy insurance!

We're actually spending two nights in Copenhagen pre-cruise. We always do that, too. I just don't want my bags to end up in that infamous mountain of lost suitcases at Heathrow!!

Chris--We're big Southwest fans, too. Now... if we could just convince them to cross "The Pond." ;)

I went through the Panama Canal once--San Diego to San Juan--without my suitcase! :( Never again!

These "free" tickets are great, but they really make us work for them!!

To be fair, whether your ticket is the award ticket or the paid ticket, makes no difference. When schedules change, like what is happening now, everybody is affected. AA or any other airline, does not make you "work for them" - for even if you paid the ticket, you would still need to go thru the same steps to have the routing changed to a more reasonable connection time.

One thing might help when calling the reservation, is to look up the alternative routings first, see if you can find a routing that have award seats, by doing a one-way award search online. Then call AAdvantage to give agent the info you found - much faster that way than just rely on the overworked agent to go thru the route map and then confer with you back and forth...

I do feel for you about your cruising Panama canal without your luggage.

Just wanted to give my CC friends a heads-up if you are flying American. They have cancelled and changed many flights.

UA, CO also announced big capacity cuts, involved both route cancellation and airports being dropped.

I believe DL is quietly doing that, but haven't officially announced it, though I may be mistaken.

With oil is heading to $150, even Southwest will be under pressure. Everyone who has an airtravel booked must be vigilant to check the status and look for plan b.

its frustrating how the airlines have been operating...I dont know why you would only be able to set up automatic flight change updates 90 days out...there is a lot of planning that goes into trips much further in advance than 90days and changes like the one above can really screw up plans

Because chances are, your flights would change AGAIN as it goes into the 90 days window. Changes happened prior to the 90 days window are often be replaced by further changes.

Even at the very normal time (which we are not at this moment when oil is going to $150), flight schedules do change, at least every quarter. Many of you book your flights several months ahead, often "cross" 2 quarters - your flight schedule are bound to change - it is just the way airlines operate. Some airlines such as Southwest and Jetblue, choose to NOT have far out schedules available for booking, and thus eliminate some necessary re-alignment of schedules.

We had a direct flight (AA) from LAX to Ft. Lauderdale for our Panama Canal cruise (February 2009) and I checked a few weeks ago and there is not a single one. They changed it on us. We now have a 50 minute layover in Dallas. I thought about changing to Miami (since there are several direct flights) but it's 32 miles to Ft. Lauderdale and, with gas prices these days, might as well sell the house to pay for the shuttle or taxi to get us there. :rolleyes: I checked with our TA and she said our flight could get changed again. We booked it on our own but now I'm wondering if I should have booked it through Princess.

FLL/LAX direct flights are among the 10% capacity cut AA announced. Actually the 2 flights were dropped before the announcement was made.

Most leisure travel oriented markets have seen drastic capacity cut. It is just the sad reality of the $150 oil.

MIA got to keep the LAX direct flight because MIA is a hub and a gateway for all the South American flights.

However, whatever you change to now, is bound to change again - as it is only June, and there are the July - Sept quarter, Oct - Dec quarter, finally Jan to Mar quarter. In the most normal time, airlines would change schedule once a quarter anyway, although sometimes only minor changes.

You can do a one-way rental car from FLL to MIA to catch MIA flight, if the direct flight is more important to you. Frankly, 50min layover at DFW is no big deal. If you are flying coach, that actually gives you a chance to stretch out a little bit between 2 segments.

Whether booking yourself or booking thru Princess, makes no difference when airlines change schedule. In fact, booking thru Princess, you are being booked on "Consolidator tickets", and you would have much HARDER time to get re-accommodation when schedule changes. You would go thru MORE hassle dealing with Princess to straighten your flights than you are now.

Most generic airline discount codes, or Costco etc would get you 5 to 10% on Budget which we use all the time for this purpose - pick up a Budget rental at one of the city location, about 7 minutes drive from our home, and drop off at MIA airport. Going home do the reverse. Just make sure to fill up your car and keep the receipt, when you return the rental car. Show the receipt to the attendant, so you will not be charged by the now over $10 fee, if drive below 75 miles. This is to prevent people to not fill up the tank, as the meter would still be full if only a couple gallons are used - hence the below 75 miles threshold.

We drove from MIA back to our home in Ft.Lauderdale on a Budget rental car in mid May. It costed us $25 for the car, incl all the tax and fee, plus 1.5 gallons of gas. The rental rate including tax and fee, hover between $25 and $35 over the doz times we did such one-way rental. We had to use MIA as we were flying home ZRH/JFK/MIA. Given me choice, I would pick FLL anyday, even that means connection. FLL is so much easier to navigate than MIA which is a much bigger airport, and at times, like a zoo.

We had a direct flight (AA) from LAX to Ft. Lauderdale for our Panama Canal cruise (February 2009) and I checked a few weeks ago and there is not a single one. They changed it on us. We now have a 50 minute layover in Dallas. I thought about changing to Miami (since there are several direct flights) but it's 32 miles to Ft. Lauderdale and, with gas prices these days, might as well sell the house to pay for the shuttle or taxi to get us there. :rolleyes: I checked with our TA and she said our flight could get changed again. We booked it on our own but now I'm wondering if I should have booked it through Princess.

Janet,

They did the same thing to us. We were on a direct flight to FLL and now they have us connecting in Dalllas. There is 5 of us and I'm worried that somewhere in transit someones luggage will be lost but we always fly in a day early so hoping whatever happens it can be corrected by the time we go on our cruise. Also they never notified us.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked ours and we have - so far - only had minor changes but will continue to be very vigilant until I get in the 90 day window and can get the automatic updates.

We are less then a month away and I just checked our United flight, and the morning flight has been moved forward from 8:00 to 8:40 which is still ok, but I am going to have to keep an eye on it. If they keep moving it up, we will have to drive up to San Francisco, but we need notice. We can't arrive at the airport and then they tell us it has been moved or cancelled. Luckily we are leaving from Burbank airport and not LAX. It's not as busy and easier to get to from where we live.

One thing might help when calling the reservation, is to look up the alternative routings first, see if you can find a routing that have award seats, by doing a one-way award search online. Then call AAdvantage to give agent the info you found - much faster that way than just rely on the overworked agent to go thru the route map and then confer with you back and forth...

Yep that's exactly what I did.....however, when I suggested flights with seats available they still wouldn't release seats even when they showed up available, until the agent clawed up the food chain! Being polite helps too (I think!).

I have read ugly stories on this board about booking air package as part of the cruise. You most likely did the best by doing the air on your own.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel better that I made the right choice. Fortunately, we are flying in two days early so I can just hope for the best. DH is not even concerned about this. I guess because cruising means so much more to me than him, that I don't want anything to ruin our chances of making it to the ship on time.

It's not just AA - sadly they are all very similar.

Because of past experience and my paranoia, we are now flying to Florida from North West Canada 2 days early and flying home the next day after the cruise ends. For two adults and three teenagers this creats a huge extra expence - three nights hotels, car rental and many meals - BUT between now and our vacation time I can sleep at night and not worry about weather problems and airline schedules. In actual dollars it will cost us at least $2000 more on top of the cruise cost because I don't feel I can trust the airline schedule.

Just wanted to give my CC friends a heads-up if you are flying American. They have cancelled and changed many flights.

I just happened by chance to check my flights last night for a cruise we have scheduled not til end of October. Much to my surprise, all my flight times had been changed without notification (you can only set up automatic flight notifications 90 days out).

They had us on a flight out of FLL the day the ship comes in at 9:45 a.m. HA!!

After spending a ton of time with an agent, we did get it straightened out (I hope we can make an 11:15 flight!). I thanked the agent for keeping at it until she got us on a suitable flight (first requests were denied, and she kept climbing up the food chain), and she thanked me for not "yelling" at her.:eek:

Just wanted to warn you guys so you can be prepared if need be.

Just want to add to this air nightmare. We were schedule to fly from FLL Nevember 7, with one stop and our flights got changed to one hour earlier, we got e-mail notification. I call AA right away and very politely asked if they will put us on a later flight non- stop. To my surprise - we got it without paying extra. Just got lucky.

Just want to add to this air nightmare. We were schedule to fly from FLL Nevember 7, with one stop and our flights got changed to one hour earlier, we got e-mail notification. I call AA right away and very politely asked if they will put us on a later flight non- stop. To my surprise - we got it without paying extra. Just got lucky.

When the airlines do the change, rather than you asking for it, I find them quite amenable to switching times/flights w/o extra $$$. It's nice that you received an email; we didn't. :( Not from American and not from Delta.

Pia

Archived