Recommendations for a stay in Vancouver

scapilot

I think it depends a lot on what you want to spend. In terms of proximity to the cruise terminal and overall quality the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront would appeal but they are also expensive.

I think it depends a lot on what you want to spend. In terms of proximity to the cruise terminal and overall quality the Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront would appeal but they are also expensive.

When we stayed overnight in Vancouver on a business trip, our sleep was disturbed by some noise and a lot of strange lights. Thinking it odd but not worrisome, we went back to sleep.

When we woke up, both HAL and Cunard had a ship docked right in front of our window. The Cunard was the Sagafjiord but I forget what the HAL vessel was.

So for convenience, wow, I would say the Pan Pacific.

We stayed at the Century Plaza -- okay, but fairly noisy as there is a nightclub in the area somewhere. Hyatt is okay, closer to the dock. If you want high end, definitely the Pan Pacific or Waterfront.

You're best to post this on the "West Coast Departures" board, a poster "Putterdude" lives in Vcr and can give you the latest on road & building construction issues, completed renos to hotels, etc.

I just stayed at the Terminal City Tower Hotel. It is sort of behing the Fairmont Waterfront and only a short walk from the cruise ships if they dock at the main Vancouver Pier. If docked further down it's about a $10 cab ride. The hotel is pretty nice and was much cheaper than Pan Pacific or Fairmont. The building has residences, a club, and business; only 60 hotel rooms. I was satisfied with our stay.

Thanks

I any one have some recommendations for staying the night in Vancouver ?:eek:

I'm staying one night in September and decided to bust the bank and go with the Pan Pacific. Several people recommended it to me, knowing that I hate staying in hotels ... they felt I might enjoy this one.

It is expensive ... no question about it ... but I figure it's only one night, and you can't get any closer to the cruise terminal. I heard that the hotel even has a deal where they will take your bags over to the pier for you, so you don't even have to bother with them. You just walk over with your carry-ons when you are ready.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We stayed at the "other" Fairmont, the Hotel Vancouver.

It's gorgeous, elegant and historical and just five minutes from the pier...and steps from the shopping and excellent restaurants on Robson Street.

It's not outrageous, and the service and amenities are outstanding!

Just FYI for anyone with Seattle overnights, the Fairmont Olympic is even better.:D

I'm staying one night in September and decided to bust the bank and go with the Pan Pacific. Several people recommended it to me, knowing that I hate staying in hotels ... they felt I might enjoy this one.

It is expensive ... no question about it ... but I figure it's only one night, and you can't get any closer to the cruise terminal. I heard that the hotel even has a deal where they will take your bags over to the pier for you, so you don't even have to bother with them. You just walk over with your carry-ons when you are ready.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You don'teven have to go "OVER" to the cruise terminal, just take the elevator "DOWN" to the cruise ship level and you are there!!!! Fantastic hotel..We have never stayed here cause we live here in Vancouver!!!!!:D ;) :D

You don'teven have to go "OVER" to the cruise terminal, just take the elevator "DOWN" to the cruise ship level and you are there!!!! Fantastic hotel..We have never stayed here cause we live here in Vancouver!!!!!:D ;) :D

Good lord, how convenient! Boy, in spite of what I am spending for one night, I'm glad I selected this hotel!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Try the Wedgewood Hotel. It is a smaller hotel that is centrally located and was voted as one the best hotels in Canada a few years back.

I'd second this recommendation 'with knobs on' :D Great hotel.

We are staying at the Hampton Inn at the airport. We stayed before on our other trip to Alaska(on Ryndam) and we liked it. If you want to explore the city, you will want to stay in another area. However, we were glad we stayed there because we had such an early flight that time, we were dead tired and with the time change we were in bed early. This hotel picks you up from the airport and also has a complimentary shuttle service to the cruise port. It was so much fun riding with other passengers to the cruise terminal. Everyone was so excited.

Volendam here we come!

Rabbitlady and spouse

I am finally back on line after many problems with my password

Another vote for the Pan Pacific. If you have a lot of luggage, one of the hotel's bell hops will help you get everything down to the terminal.

I've been told one better. I've been told that you just make sure you have everything tagged, and they will deliver it to the stevedors for you. That way, when you are ready to go to the ship, all you have to deal with is your carry-on luggage.

Works for me!

Like I said, if I was staying for multiple days ... or did this on a regular basis ... I would not spend the major bucks for the Pan Pacific. But for a one-night stay ... in a place I may not visit again for years to come (I'm not an Alaska type person and most of my cruises go out of east coast ports), the money is well spent.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am so glad to read about Sutton Place as we will be staying there a couple of nights before our cruise and two nights after we finish our Rocky Mountaineer Tour. We chose Sutton Place because our Tour finishes there and we want to leave some luggage before we flew to Calgary.

We stayed at the Wedgewood last time, and loved that hotel.

Jennie

After so many posts I hope you realize that the Wedgewood stands out. It deserves it, but you also have to realize that Vancouver has some very outstanding hotels. You will be pleased with any of your selections, where it be the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Fairmont Waterfront. Pan Pacific, Four Seasons, or any of the other 4 star plus hotels.

Vancouver is a great city that you have to walk around to appreciate. ---- Have a great cruise.

If you want to go as inexpensively as possible, I'd recommend the Ramada at the airport. The shuttle (free) picks you up at the airport - you have to call from a service phone outside the airport at the shuttle stop.

I thought we'd have to take a cab to Canada Place, but the Ramada recently added a shuttle service. It's shared with the LaQuinta and another motel. The cost is only $12 per person. Two departure times - 11 AM and 1:00 PM. Takes about 45-55 min. to Canada Place.

The Ramada is clean and cozy. Close to several restaurants, including a Greek one that is two doors down. A pub right across the street. The staff is friendly but not extremely knowledgable about the area. I think we paid $55 for two in a room with a balcony.

My mother and I stayed at the Pan Pacific in '99 prior to our HAL cruise. When we awoke the morning of departure, we could see the ship as a tiny dot on the horizon.

When we ordered coffee and pastries from room service, they brought the pastries up in a warming oven so that they were still warm. My mother has always said it was the nicest hotel she'd ever stayed in.

DH and I just booked the Veendam (our first cruise ship) for the season ending 9/20/09 sailing. Maybe the Pan Pacific again? :rolleyes:

Archived