What do I need to know to make the Muster drill go as smooth as possible?

Show up on time with your floation device. Listen & follow the directions. Really is a safety instruction & to show you where to go. Only problem is when guests do not hurry down & queue up in the process. Makes the whole drill longer.

After the drill, be ready for sail-a-way....

Go early, and ride the elevators before the drill. If you are going to a lounge go in an get a seat. If you are going out on deck 4 just find somewhere to sit inside till you need to go out.

Take your life jackets and put them on at the drill or just before, and think cool. It gets pretty warm, esp. if you are on the back row. They will check you in and just listen.

This doesnt make the drill any be`tter, but I have a tip. You would be amazed at the number of people I saw put that flotation vest blow-up tube (or was it a whistle) in their mouth. :eek:

Anyway, if you have kids warn them not to as well. Gross.

This doesnt make the drill any be`tter, but I have a tip. You would be amazed at the number of people I saw put that flotation vest blow-up tube (or was it a whistle) in their mouth. :eek:

One of my kids started to do that once - the crew member who was checking everyone in caught her and stopped her immediately. I think she was standing in front of me - and I couldn't see her very well (just in case any of you might think I wouldn't have stopped her!)

Same response - "You wouldn't believe how many other people have put that in their mouths!"

Seems half of the people have to put their mouths on the dirty whistle. Unbelievable. My recommendation, resist the temptation and dont.

Best tip, last one to the drill is the first one back to the room.

What we do is grab the lifevest, and carry it down to the deck the muster drill is on and then put the vest on. This makes walking the stairs safer as you can see your feet that way.

Again at the end of the drill, we take the vest off and carry the vest back to our stateroom.

When you are carrying your lifevest, make sure that the cord that goes around your waist is NOT dragging. Even if you don't trip on it, somebody around you might step on it tripping you or themselves.

We go early, carry our vests and then put them on at the drill. If you are early and are in the back row, you can lean against the wall for some support. After the drill, we hang back about 15 minutes and wait for the herd to dissipate. There is no reason, IMHO, to try to fight the crowds for an elevator or to hike the stairs back to deck 10. We seldom go to the Sail Away party around the pool, instead, we relax on our balcony with a bottle of wine, either from our TA or pre-ordered for ourselves.

We go early, carry our vests and then put them on at the drill. If you are early and are in the back row, you can lean against the wall for some support. After the drill, we hang back about 15 minutes and wait for the herd to dissipate. There is no reason, IMHO, to try to fight the crowds for an elevator or to hike the stairs back to deck 10. We seldom go to the Sail Away party around the pool, instead, we relax on our balcony with a bottle of wine, either from our TA or pre-ordered for ourselves.

We do the same thing, go early hoping for a little shade to stand in if it's a hot day. Hanging back and letting everyone else clear off afterwards is so much nicer than trying to shuffle along with the crowd. We've met some great people, and had a chance to chat to them, doing the same thing!

Lisa

You would be amazed at the number of people I saw put that flotation vest blow-up tube (or was it a whistle) in their mouth. :eek:

And then they blame the cruise line for getting NORO! :rolleyes:

Do not put vest on ahead of time.

We do what we can to be in the front row..too warm in the back.

Do not close up the vest till you have too..you will stand there and it is very warm even in January when we have done our cruises. On first cruise felt sick waiting with vest closed up for so long..second time not as bad when I waited. I also brought a cold bottle of water.

The neck line of those vests are filthy dirty from people sweating in them..a testament to how warm it gets.

Oh yes and the kids do put the whistles in their mouths. Did see parents not even discouraging them from doing so.

It amazes me how late people are getting down there prolonging it for everyone else. They get there late, spend 10 mins total, and are on their way.

The best part is taking off the vest and heading to our destination for sail away...

Have a wonderful time.

Laura

What we do is grab the lifevest, and carry it down to the deck the muster drill is on and then put the vest on. This makes walking the stairs safer as you can see your feet that way.

Again at the end of the drill, we take the vest off and carry the vest back to our stateroom.

When you are carrying your lifevest, make sure that the cord that goes around your waist is NOT dragging. Even if you don't trip on it, somebody around you might step on it tripping you or themselves.

We were on the Mariner in August, 08. They wouldn't let us walk down the steps without the life vest being ON. After it is over, it makes sense to take it off and carry it.

The drill is really nothing to be concerned about. Just put on your life jacket when the alarm sounds, and go into the hallway and follow the crowd. The staff will look at the number on your lifejacket and direct you to the proper location - plus there are green signs all over directing you the right spot for your number. Once there, it's only 10-15 minutes of standing there listening to their instructions. It's no big deal really.

It was so warm on deck that when they stopped talking, I took my lifevest off...MISTAKE!! Boy, did I get yelled at. They don't want people taking off their vest and then walking back to their cabins with the straps dangling causing people to trip.

It was so warm on deck that when they stopped talking, I took my lifevest off...MISTAKE!! Boy, did I get yelled at. They don't want people taking off their vest and then walking back to their cabins with the straps dangling causing people to trip.

I not only take off my vest leaving the drill, I don't wear it to the drill. I have mobility issues on stairs and I can't see the steps with that thing on. If they start saying anything I tell them and never have had an issue.

Seems half of the people have to put their mouths on the dirty whistle. Unbelievable. My recommendation, resist the temptation and dont.

Best tip, last one to the drill is the first one back to the room.

I couldn't agree more. Don't go when they first start announcing or you will pushed all the way to the back. Trust me there are a lot of people in your station. The captain started annoucing at 4:00 pm & we headed out at 4:15. We were the last one's there & the first out.

Or you can bring my mother, and she'll pretend to be having heat stroke, the medics will bring her her BF and your easily humiliated 17 yo daughter to the infirmary and release you before everyone else--I might also add that while they were taking her away her BF was in a panic, and she turns behind him and the medics, gives my daughter the thumbs up sign and says "well I got us out of that, huh??" Needless to say, my DD was furious at her--we just chalk it up to mom making us another memory!! LOL!!

Katie

Just follow directions. Show up on time wearing your vest. Be patient. Don't trip over the straps on your way back to the cabin. Don't whine. Don't complain. On my last cruise, this woman kept yelling and insisting that she get to stand exactly where she wants because she was claustrophobic.....leave your personal problems at home...don't bring them with you on the trip, especially if you are going to start screaming at everyone.

Archived