Buying Medicine in Mexico, Can I???

funat55

I'm going on the Pride next month, and I have always purchased a bottle or two of amoxicillen and brought it back. I have never tried to hide it and I have never had it confiscated. Now I'm worried whether things have gotten stricter. I don't want to get in trouble or do anything that might get me in trouble. Does anyone know what medication can legally be brought back?

Ok gotta say it.. only because its an antibiotic.. Why would you buy this?

With that said, and at the risk of sounding hypocritical- I do buy the tylenol with codeine and the cough syrup with codeine when i visit Bermuda or BVI

Its over the counter there.. works great because i have chronic migraines..

The cough syrup beats the otc stuff here..I just buy it and put it in the toiletry case...

:)

I always purchase Motrin 800 and bring it back with no problems either. I think they worry more about the people who bring back more than one person could use in a given time than a bottle or two.

The most i ever saw someone purchase alot was in Cabo or Matzatlan and the lady bought about 200 ****** pills. Talk about over kill if it was for her husband.

the lady bought about 200 ****** pills. Talk about over kill if it was for her husband.

Ohhhhh THOSE kind of pills lmao.

btw the RCL port about 3 miles out of town, there is a drug store right there when you get off the ship selling medications that are prescriptions in the U.S.

I'm going on the Pride next month, and I have always purchased a bottle or two of amoxicillen and brought it back. I have never tried to hide it and I have never had it confiscated. Now I'm worried whether things have gotten stricter. I don't want to get in trouble or do anything that might get me in trouble. Does anyone know what medication can legally be brought back?

We have bought meds on several occasions and never had a problem.

Ok, coupla things...if you work somewhere that drug tests...you'll need a prescription to prove why you have narcotics in your system if you're taking the meds you buy in Mexico. Other thing, call US Customs...they'll tell you you have to have an Rx to buy Rx meds out of the country.

Ok gotta say it.. only because its an antibiotic.. Why would you buy this?

With that said, and at the risk of sounding hypocritical- I do buy the tylenol with codeine and the cough syrup with codeine when i visit Bermuda or BVI

Its over the counter there.. works great because i have chronic migraines..

The cough syrup beats the otc stuff here..I just buy it and put it in the toiletry case...

:)

I buy it because I don't have health insurance and it works on my bronchoitis. I can tell the minute its going to flare up, I've had this for years and the amoxicillian knocks it out. I also have a touch of arthritis and take otc tylenol for arthritis, but if there is something non-narcotic but a little stronger, I would like to buy that too.

but if there is something non-narcotic but a little stronger, I would like to buy that too.

I couldnt find anything in Cozumel for either sleep or pain meds. I have trouble sleeping and a pain med usually helps. I hoped the muscle relaxer would help, but its my mind racing not my muscles lol, so that didnt help.

Obviously, quite a few of us do buy the over the counter drugs in Mexico or Cozumel.

How do you know where to go and what to ask for? I'm thinking it doesn't look like your regular pharmacy.

yeah, it does. You just walk right in and ask for what you want. They're usually several of them at the port.

When we were there in March, we bought antibiotics & acid reflux meds, as we had done many times in the past. This time ship security decided to take them and turn them over to customs, they ended up confiscating most of the antibiotcs & all the acid reflux meds, so be careful.

Doug

Given that Amoxicllan is a generic drug here, if you have a script you can get it filled at many major drug outlets for 15.00 or less for a 90 day supply. If you are popping amoxicillan like aspirin, you are building immunity for the bugs that you have-not a good idea. If you get sick overseas getting a therapeutic supply from a local pharmacy is one thing but you really shouldn't be getting a generic drug overseas. Now a brand name is a different story. If you are taking a maintenance brand name drug like Lipitor for an example, and you are paying for it yourself, I see nothing wrong with picking up a years supply....its 4 90 day sealed original packages and probably will save you hundred of dollars.

Drugs that are classified as narcotics you will need to have a script for when you return or you can be arrested.

CBP also allows reasonable amount for your own use of any non nacrotic drug..

Just guessing here, but it's that "if you have a prescription" part that gets expensive, not necessarily the Amoxicillin itself, because you have to see a doctor to get that prescription. Without insurance, you're talking $100 or more, easily.

Not advocating for or against seeing a doctor or taking antibiotics, that's a personal choice.

If you ever make it over to Belize, there is a US citizen from Louisiana there who runs a couple of the pharmacies at the port. She used to be a Pharmacist at Wal-mart. She is very helpful in determining what you need or an equivalent.

I also pick up antibotics and mild pain relievers because being self-employed getting medical insurance at a reasonable price is hard to do with a family of four.

Dave

Passing through Immigration/Customs in Galveston (late February) we were asked pointblank by the agent if we had bought any medications ! We had not (this time) , but that was the first time (land or sea re-entry) that we had ever been asked :) New policy ?

Just guessing here, but it's that "if you have a prescription" part that gets expensive, not necessarily the Amoxicillin itself, because you have to see a doctor to get that prescription. Without insurance, you're talking $100 or more, easily.

Exactly. I cant even find a doctor who will see me for under about $180 here. Im considered uninsurable, over 50 and if your weight is over 150 lbs, you basically cant buy any insurance you could afford. Last quote was over $800 a month for just me. I can take a cruise for 2 people for the premiums for 2 - 3 months. Yes, it cost me over $4,000 to go to emergency when I broke my arm last Christmas, thats how it goes.

People getting up on their soap boxes and lecturing others not to do this, probably have insurance ..... not to mention the OP didnt ask if he SHOULD do it, just is it possible.

I've bought mainly amoxicillia there, but you can get it at Walmart now or Publix for like $3. Of course, if you have to see a doctor before you can get a script for it, that's what makes it expensive. Retin A is a good buy there.

Exactly. I cant even find a doctor who will see me for under about $180 here. Im considered uninsurable, over 50 and if your weight is over 150 lbs, you basically cant buy any insurance you could afford. Last quote was over $800 a month for just me. I can take a cruise for 2 people for the premiums for 2 - 3 months. Yes, it cost me over $4,000 to go to emergency when I broke my arm last Christmas, thats how it goes.

People getting up on their soap boxes and lecturing others not to do this, probably have insurance ..... not to mention the OP didnt ask if he SHOULD do it, just is it possible.

First of all self medicating is really not a good idea. You can see a nurse practitioner in most states for $40.00 or less. Many walk in clinics charge much less than $180.00. Some walk in clinics that are part of drug stores charge about the same..(40.00).....and you are right the uninsured pay much more for the same service than it cost the insurance company. there really IS something wrong with that...The best and easiest example is test like blood sugar etc through a lab. the retail price is $40.00 the insurance companies pay $6.00---that can't be justified by ease of payment or bad debt.

First of all self medicating is really not a good idea. You can see a nurse practitioner in most states for $40.00 or less. Many walk in clinics charge much less than $180.00. Some walk in clinics that are part of drug stores charge about the same..(40.00).....and you are right the uninsured pay much more for the same service than it cost the insurance company. there really IS something wrong with that...The best and easiest example is test like blood sugar etc through a lab. the retail price is $40.00 the insurance companies pay $6.00---that can't be justified by ease of payment or bad debt.

I had a infection and I called every walk in clinic in my area, most were wanting well over $200. I even called the senior center for references and that clinic wanted even more to see me. I know how much it cost as I called every place I could find in the phone book before I went to my parents doctor who gave me a slight % off for cash. Turned out it would still have cost me more than $200 more because he took a swab, I guess to make sure it wasnt staph and I got billed for the additional.

Yep, I called every walk in clinic to get prices before I went to my parents doctor. A nurse practictioner you suggest cant prescribe the drugs I needed. All I needed was a antibiotic. Next cruise is when I picked up some penicillin in cozumel.

btw the drug he prescribed only cost me $4 at Kroger, it was the $200 doctors bill that I object to paying when all I needed was some generic antibiotic.

We were so lucky to be in Cozumel after the second night of our most recent cruise....

Our 3 yr old daughter cried all night, pulling on her ears... she had a fever too.. we just knew it was an ear infection. When we saw the drug store, my husband really didn't want to buy the amoxicillan, but I did.. and it saved our cruise and tons of money.

When we got home, I told my pediatrician, and she said.. "good for you!".

We plan on buying a couple bottles "just in case" when we return in August.

BTW>> the bottles were sealed, with a sealed spoon.... identical to US product, but with Spanish writing.

Cat

Given that Amoxicllan is a generic drug here, if you have a script you can get it filled at many major drug outlets for 15.00 or less for a 90 day supply. If you are popping amoxicillan like aspirin, you are building immunity for the bugs that you have-not a good idea. If you get sick overseas getting a therapeutic supply from a local pharmacy is one thing but you really shouldn't be getting a generic drug overseas. Now a brand name is a different story. If you are taking a maintenance brand name drug like Lipitor for an example, and you are paying for it yourself, I see nothing wrong with picking up a years supply....its 4 90 day sealed original packages and probably will save you hundred of dollars.

Drugs that are classified as narcotics you will need to have a script for when you return or you can be arrested.

CBP also allows reasonable amount for your own use of any non nacrotic drug..

If you're taking a statin like Lipitor, it is very important to get regular blood tests to check liver function -- every 6 months or so once you're at the maintenance dose level. These drugs can have serious side effects. Nothing wrong with buying where you can get them cheaper, as long as you're sure its the real thing.

I have always brought back antibiotics and motrin 800 mg. When I am cruising where you can get them without a prescription.

2 years ago i went to south texas where my parents are snow birds. People went over the border and brought back shopping bags full of medication and they were allowed to bring them back across the border. You go over the border 15 dollars to pull a tooth. You can get your blood drawn for a fraction it costs in the states. Fillings 20 dollars. Never once did i see border agents take the drugs.

But I can say I went 7 day cruise out of LosAngles in Feb and they asked if I brought any drugs back. That was the first time I have ever been asked when I came back from a cruise. I did have some Motrin I got there and declared it they looked at it and let me go through with the meds.

debkjw

Archived