Send The Golden To Dry Dock Please !

scapilot

The golden Princess is in bad shape. My wife and I were on her for a trip recently and found so much damage from the salt air. 3 levels, the Dolphin, Emerald and Caribe decks had all of the metal partitions on the balconies from the front to the back of the ship were falling apart. the door frames were splitting and some doors were just hanging there by a coat hanger. It seemed odd for a ship of that line to be in such disrepair. Any one notice the same things? :confused:

Wow, a lot must have changed since we were on her in the begining of May. Sure she is not a pristine as a new ship right out ot the yards but we saw nothing or experienced anything that detracted from the enjoyment of our cruise. The carpets seemed to be newish, the matresses new, all of the common areas in good shape, everything seemed to work and the normal maintenance of a cruise ship seemed to being going on as we cruised.

We were on the Golden Princess May 17 - May 24 on the Dolphin deck mini suite. I can honestly say that there were no problems with the frames. Yes their is some tarnish caued by the weather but nothing so harsh. Our mini suite was wonderful as was our cruise. I am sure some issues will be addressd when she goes in for dry dock.

Love to cruise!!:)

It's ashame you didn't spend more time enjoying your cruise rather than playing ship inspector. I just stayed in a brand new hotel....had a spot on the one wall that the painter missed and a cracked floor tile in the bathroom.....didn't think about taking pictures though.

We were on board in September last year and there was no talk of dry dock for the next two years. I sent photos to the home office and got no reply.

The Golden goes into dry dock April 16, 2009...

I agree, I have been on the Goldens older sister, the Grand(This past January). While it was not sparkling new, it was a beautiful ship. Some wear and tear here and there, but so what? I am not doubting that you saw these things, but just think it is too bad that it took time out of your enjoyment.

Most of what is shown in these photos is normal and you'll see it on any ship. The best thing you could have done is have someone take a look at the problems you identified. Your cabin steward will arrange this if you let him know. There is a maintenance crew on board that is constantly busy working on the ship.

Drydocks are done only when the hull has to be inspected or major mechanical work has to be done.

Is this a joke? The coat hanger in the picture does not apprear to be holding the door ONTO the ship, and except for the last photo, I did not see anything out of the ordinary. The last picture show something that needs attention but is not "falling down"

When we were on her a month ago it couldn't have been better.:)

Right on, Putterdude, Gary here.

We had a balcony on the Caribe deck, and we noticed a bit of rust and the things that scapilot was talking about. But geez, the ship entered service in 1999 or 2000, all the pictures represent areas that are always exposed to the elements, and never was I concerned about the balcony breaking off or other pieces falling off here and there.

I'm sure a lot of these little things will be addressed during the next dry dock.

As long as the beds are comfortable, the food is good, and the toilets flush, I'm happy!

Gary

Thanks for posting the picture, but I have to agree with the others. Can't imagine spending my time taking this type of pictures of a little saltwater damage and then sending them to Princess with a complaint. Nothing at all looked dangerous or even something I would give a second look to on a ship.

The coathanger, which concerned me in the beginning, is still a mystery, as it seems to serve no purpose and I am wondering if a former passenger might have gotten cute and put it there to hang something out to dry?????

I think maybe you need to book one of the brand new ships and go from there if you are this picky about every little nook and cranny onboard.

Hopefully, except for the time out of your cruise looking for damage, you enjoyed the rest of it. I hope your next cruise, on whatever cruise line, you are unable to find as many faults (book a new ship, it's the only answer).

Metals, wood, and paint are affected by the salt water spray that any cruise ship is exposed to. That's why, when onboard, one sees the crew constantly performing maintenance chores, both indoor and out.

When we were on the Golden in November of 2007, we observed the ongoing maintenence of the ship, including such as exterior painting, and replacement of carpeting in the entrance ways to the cabins on various decks. This type of work, and more, is what we have observed on every cruise cruise ship we have sailed on.

What I find confusing is you said you were on the ship last Sept. What made you wait this long to report it to Cruise Critic. I also found the pics to be NOT abnormal at all. The maintainence staff is constantly repairing and fixing. We just got off of the Coral and we got a notice one day that they were doing a section of the cabin balconies to do repair work. I also found your pics to be confusing.

marilyn

We were on the same coastal cruise as Putterdude and didn't notice any of the stuff you mentioned. In fact they were replacing the carpet in a couple of lounges during the cruise. The night before we got into Vancouver they started replacing the carpet by the pool area. Was all done by the time we got off the ship.

Friends of ours had a balcony cabin and when we were leaving San Fransico they had just "varnished" their railing.

I found the Golden to be in good shape, considering that it has "2600" people on the ship "24/7":D

We were on The Golden in February and our party occupied two PH suites on the Caribe deck and our balcony divider door looked much worse than the one pictured. It could hardly be opened; but once the steward got it open it never bothered us one bit. We had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner twice during that week and dinner two other evenings on our balconies and it was never a problem.

Mike:)

I guess folks are going to find something wrong if they really want to. I would never spend the time looking that closely at a ship - too busy having fun or just plain relaxing. If it isn't going the cause the ship to sink, it's all good!

Archived