Has anyone ever

4WINGDINGS

PIT is currently a very overbuilt airport. Constructed to be a major hub for US Airways, it was de-hubbed several years ago and now is relatively deserted. It was a model for the "shop while you fly" concept, with a large retail core at the center of an "X" shaped airside. This was aided by the lack of sales tax on clothing in Pennsylvania and an agreement to charge "street prices" for items sold in the airport (no excessive airport markup). It is operated by BAA.

PIT has 4 main runways, allowing for minimal delays. It is a good ways out from downtown Pittsburgh, but easy freeway access.

There is one central security screening point, down one level from the ticketing level. If you see a major backup there, the TSA also operates a second screening point at high demand periods on the ticketing level...ask if that checkpoint is open and you may save some time.

If you are there early, be sure to take a moment to look at the T-Rex at the airside escalators, from the Carnegie Museum collection. There is also a display near the T-Rex detailing the history of the airport, including the prior terminal which was abandoned when the current one was built. You can also go shopping in the Airmall, as the shop area is called. If you need to go online, there is free wi-fi throughout the concourse area.

PIT fell victim to being too close to US Airways Philadelphia hub - having two hubs that close didn't make economic sense given the airline's route structure, so US closed the one with less O/D traffic. If the PIT terminal was in another city, it would be a flourishing and popular airport for connections.

Any further questions or if you need more details, let me know.

I live about 45-60 minutes from the airport, to the East. We have to go on Parkways East and then West to the airport, which is always bad because there has been construction on those parkways for years. In fact, yesterday we had to take my aunts to the airport and Parkway East was closed for construction. But of course there are a million other ways to go.

Pittsburgh International is one of my favorite airports. We fly out of there 2-4 times a year, in fact, we are flying out on Friday (USA3000 to FLL).

Once you get to the airport and get your tickets and drop off your bags, you go down to a central security area, which never takes more than 20-30 minutes, even at peak times.

Once through security, you take an underground tram from landside to airside terminal that takes 60 seconds. Once there, you will take2 escalators up to the 'core', which links all 4 terminals together.

Pittsburgh has 4 terminals, a total of 75 gates. (Terminals A, B, C, and D)

Terminal A houses Southwest Airlines. Terminal A has A1-A25 gates, but A14+ are closed off.

Terminal B has gates B26-B50, and houses Usair and Usair Express, but gates B38+ are also closed off.

Terminal C has 11 gates, C51-C61 and houses AirCanada, AirTran, JetBlue, and United.

A seperate area for international arrivals is at the end of Terminal C, and only USA3000 flies out of it, C60.

Terminal D, had 14 gates D76-D89. This houses American, Continental, Delta, Midwest, Myrtle Beach, and Northwest.

There was a terminal E, with 22 gates, but it is closed due to USAir's lack of interest in the area now. Part was demolished for more baggage facilities and part is used for an alternative security checkpoint.

What I like about the airport is free WIFI throughout the airport, and the AirMall. There are a million great shops and restaurants in the airport, especially in the 'core'.

There is also the Hyatt Hotel connected by a walkway to the airport.

Their website is: flypittsburgh.com

And if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them, since I live right in the area.

Just a clarification to the previous post, PIT only has 1 operating terminal with 4 concourses - A, B, C, & D. Everything is connected in the center at the AirMall area.

When I hear the term terminal, I think a totally separate building - e.g. LAX, ORD, IAH, etc., not one building with multiple concourses under the same roof.

Just a clarification to the previous post, PIT only has 1 operating terminal with 4 concourses - A, B, C, & D. Everything is connected in the center at the AirMall area.

When I hear the term terminal, I think a totally separate building - e.g. LAX, ORD, IAH, etc., not one building with multiple concourses under the same roof.

Thanks for clearing it up. I never knew that before. Yea, it's one big terminal connected at the 'core' with several restaurants and stores. A lot of people would find it easier, instead of going to totally different terminals, just concourses, but I don't think Pittsburgh is on the top of the list for layovers.

As Flyertalker stated, PIT is a victim in the same way that my local airport, DAY (Dayton, Ohio) is. Remodeled to serve as a hub for Piedmont, then for US Airways, DAY was closed as a hub with much decent non-stop service lost. I used to be able to fly through PIT to make an US Airways connection to another city and it was extremely convienent and as hassle-free as possible. PIT is an excellent airport that in my meager experience compares with the best facilities for passengers in the country. It is extremely traveler-friendly!

As Flyertalker stated, PIT is a victim in the same way that my local airport, DAY (Dayton, Ohio) is. Remodeled to serve as a hub for Piedmont, then for US Airways, DAY was closed as a hub with much decent non-stop service lost. I used to be able to fly through PIT to make an US Airways connection to another city and it was extremely convienent and as hassle-free as possible. PIT is an excellent airport that in my meager experience compares with the best facilities for passengers in the country. It is extremely traveler-friendly!

Yes, it is a shame about USair and the hub issue. I'm just glad USair still has at least one nonstop to the south Florida area, which is FLL. We take advantage of that for our cruises in October.

And I also agree it is extremely traveler friendly. I've never came across a rude TSA agent there(can't say that about other places), the variety of shops and restaurants is amazing, and it is very easy to use, in the sense of the setup.

Archived