Rhine river cruise - between which towns?

joannewu

We are arriving in Frankfurt on Tuesday 8 July @ 6am after travelling for 12 hours.

Before travelling to the Neuschwanstein Castle we would like to do a Rhine River cruise.

On what I have read the most scenic section of the river is between Rudesheim and Koblenz.

So now I have the following question.

a. Should we transfer from Frankfurt to Rudesheim by train?

b. Should we cruise from south to north then return?

c. If south/north return, should we stay in Rudesheim for 1-2 days. Another thought is to stay at Assmannshaussen (supposedly less touristy).

d. Is Koblenz TOO far to cruise to and should we just do the Rudesheim-St Goar return trip?

e. Can you book the cruise tickets at the time of travelling or should they booked in advance?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

joannewu,

I assume you´re talking about a day trip on the Rhine river? Check with

www.k-d.com

which is the largest excursion boat company in that area. They own and operate the sidewheel steamboat GOETHE which is running from Koblenz to Ruedesheim and back daily. The GOETHE departs at 9 am from Koblenz and arrives at 3:15 pm at Ruedesheim (if you want to go back to Koblenz, departure is at 4:15 pm at Ruedesheim, arrival at 8:10 pm at Koblenz). I´ve done that trip on the GOETHE and it´s really great. So I´d say take the train from Frankfurt to Koblenz and stay in Koblenz for the night to catch the boat the next morning.

You don´t need to buy tickets in advance. They can be purchased at the ticket offices.

For train conncections check

www.bahn.de

Both websites are available in English too.

I´d say do the trip Koblenz to Ruedesheim and stay somewhere there. There might not be much difference between Ruedesheim and Assmannshausen. Sure it´s a bit less touristy in Assmannshausen. But there might be more to do in Ruedesheim.

steamboats

You are correct ; that is a gorgeous part of the Rhine. I have been told that there are fireworks on the Rhine during the month of August which might be fun to se.. If you stop in Rudesheim or Asmannshausen, do have a meal at the Famous Restaurant Krone; this is the oldest restaurant in Germany and is located in Assmannshausen. The train ride from Rudeshiem to Assmanshausen is short. I remember the service and food to be special.

I saw the "Goethe" and agree that this is a superb way to see the stops.

Have a wonderful trip!:)

Thank you for the replies.

We have decided to stay in Rudesheim.

I have read about the fireworks on the Rhine but we will be there too early, however, we will take your advice on the the "Goethe" and the famous Restaurant Krone.

:)

Archived