Should we stay in Houston or Galveston

bphman

Just booked the Conquest for late July and plan on arriving a few days before the cruise. Not sure if it would be better to stay in Houston or Galveston. Mt son wants to try Texas Bar-b-cue and I want authentic Mexican food (I lived in Mexico). What are the main sites in each if we prefer sightseeing to beaches? Haven't been in Houston for 25 years and don't remember much. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

NASA?? A Baseball game in Houston? Will you have a car?

I prefer Galveston which is a sleepy old fashioned town with beaches. We used to rent out a house on stilts for the weekend and cook up a batch of shrimp for dinner and loved the beach when I was in my 20s.

Doesnt sound like thats what you are looking for.

A water park??!! You do realize how HOT it is here this time of year. It hit 99 already up here in Dallas in May and been in the 90s all week. I wilt in this heat. July its going to be hot hot hot. by August its often hitting in the 100s here and Houston is humid.

Just booked the Conquest for late July and plan on arriving a few days before the cruise. Not sure if it would be better to stay in Houston or Galveston. Mt son wants to try Texas Bar-b-cue and I want authentic Mexican food (I lived in Mexico). What are the main sites in each if we prefer sightseeing to beaches? Haven't been in Houston for 25 years and don't remember much. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

YOU COULD STAY IN TEXAS CITY WHICH IS JUST OUTSIDE OF GALVESTON, BUT NOT TO FOR FROM HOUSTON. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND BBQ AND SEAFOOD IN THIS AREA. AND THE HOTEL ROOM WOULD PROBALY BE CHEAPER THEN ACTUALLY STAYING IN GALVESTON.

I would rather stay in Galveston than Houston. I was born and raised in Texas but the only authentic Mexican food that I've had was South of El Paso. Around here we have Tex-Mex. You can get good Texas Bar-b-cue on your way to Galveston. I would say one great place to eat in Galveston is "The Spot", they even have a website. The Spot is not Texas Bar-b-cue or authentic Mexican food

I'd stay in Galveston. It has interesting archetecture and plenty of good places to stay. Please keep in mind that with a few exceptions you won't get "authentic" Mexican food

in most restaurants in Texas. You'll get Tex-Mex, which while quite good, is far from authentic. Papasitos has pretty good Tex-Mex. I'm sure locals can give you other suggestions. Enjoy your stay in Texas.

The best bbq anywhere in this area, IMO, is Goode & Co. on Kirby. It's SW of downtown Houston. It would be a little out of your way if you're driving down I-45 to Galveston, but, not that far (15 mins. maybe?).

http://www.goodecompany.com/goodeRestaurantBBQKirby.aspx

I've lived here (Houston area) for 37 years and I haven't found any good mexican food yet.:eek: Sorry.

I'd book a hotel down in Galveston. There's one right next to the pier where the Conquest docks. I'm sorry, but I forgot the name of it. You can watch the ship come in. A friend of mine stayed there and liked it, but I'm not familiar with it. I think alot of cruisers stay there.

I believe the Conquest still goes to Cozumel? If so, eat at La Choza. It's right off the main square and it's fabulous!;)

We're going in August and we wanted to stay in Galveston. However, it was prohibitively expensive: 130-200 dollars a night, and most places wanted a two-night stay because it was a weekend. They jack up the prices on the weekend because they know the cruise ships are coming in (Sunday-Thursday most of the hotels are half price). So, long story short, we are staying somewhere between Houston and Galveston in a place called Webster in a Days Inn recommended by somebody on this board for 50 bucks for one night (AAA rate). We felt it was worth it (and, the rental car is cheaper than a carnival transfer!).

the long and short is,first off use name your own price on priceline..i have gotten tremont house and harbor house(the one next to the ship before) for less than 100 during peak summer. second. most of the hotels will offer you free parking to and from the ship which saves you 60-70 that you would pay to park the car. There are many really great places to eat there that are not chains, there is a great mexican restaurant in the historic district in an old victorian house that i can't remember the name of but is good. there is also a great little cafe that i think is called the mosquito coast in the same area. i owned a weekend house in galveston several tears ago and could't get enough of it... it is truly an ecclectic layed back beachtown..another good ,well run hotel to try is commodore on the beach..37th and seawall..clean,friendly and they take you to and from the ship..:cool:

The best bbq anywhere in this area, IMO, is Goode & Co. on Kirby. It's SW of downtown Houston. It would be a little out of your way if you're driving down I-45 to Galveston, but, not that far (15 mins. maybe?).

http://www.goodecompany.com/goodeRestaurantBBQKirby.aspx

I've lived here (Houston area) for 37 years and I haven't found any good mexican food yet.:eek: Sorry.

I'd book a hotel down in Galveston. There's one right next to the pier where the Conquest docks. I'm sorry, but I forgot the name of it. You can watch the ship come in. A friend of mine stayed there and liked it, but I'm not familiar with it. I think alot of cruisers stay there.

I believe the Conquest still goes to Cozumel? If so, eat at La Choza. It's right off the main square and it's fabulous!;)

This hotel is called the Harbor House. I have not stayed there, but we just returned from Galveston after cruising on the Ecstasy and really wish we would have chosen this hotel! It is a beautiful hotel and in a great location.

We had a family reunion in Houston a few summers ago (July). It was pretty steamy... We went to a baseball game (they keep the roof closed due to the heat -- so it was only 80-85 inside) and to NASA. The inside part of NASA was comfortable. There were two trolley tours; we only did one because it was so brutally hot there.

Not sure what else there is to do there....

If you're going to stay at a hotel, make sure they have a nice pool - you're going to need it. We stayed at the Woodlands Resort (north of the city -- so not on your way to the cruise port -- but it was near where our family lives) and that was beautiful ... with an awesome pool with waterfalls, underwater music, etc.

the long and short is,first off use name your own price on priceline..i have gotten tremont house and harbor house(the one next to the ship before) for less than 100 during peak summer. second. most of the hotels will offer you free parking to and from the ship which saves you 60-70 that you would pay to park the car. .:cool:

One place to park, EZCruise is $50 for 7 days, the other place is $45 for the week, and the OP probably is flying in and wouldnt need to park a car for the week.

Id love Harbor House myself, but with a son who wants to see the sites, other than watching the cruise ship come in from a great historical hotel ... Im not sure this would be the best place.

OP the other small problem is if you are renting a car, its a problem to return on Sunday. Been quite a few problems reporting with having to leave the car some place for them to find Monday. All the rental car places seem to be closed on Sunday in Galveston.

I vote Galveston. If you aren't interested in the beach, there is Moody Gardens. It's fun just to walk around & look at all the old houses & buildings. And yeah, you will get TexMex in Texas. It's the best!

http://www.galveston.com/whattodo/

I clicked thru on Galveston Party Boat, where you can fish. Maybe your son would want to fish. Prices start at $25 for a 4 hour trip. Mixed reviews, one guy complained they cancelled and were rude, maybe try the other fishing boat instead.

Just trying for ideas if you say your son isnt a beach person.

Hi

We live in Pasadena so very familiar with the area. You mentioned arriving for a couple days. I would say stay closer to Houston the first night then go to Galveston, and spend the day and night before the cruise. If you kidos are still in school, then I think NASA would be a must, if you haven't seen it. Also a trip to Kemah, less than 5 miles from NASA, would be a fun time, they have rides, toooooo many food places and a nice afternoon or evening. Check into hotels in the League City area, Pasadena or South Houston areas.

Have fun and enjoy the trip

Al

We're going in August and we wanted to stay in Galveston. However, it was prohibitively expensive: 130-200 dollars a night, and most places wanted a two-night stay because it was a weekend. They jack up the prices on the weekend because they know the cruise ships are coming in (Sunday-Thursday most of the hotels are half price). So, long story short, we are staying somewhere between Houston and Galveston in a place called Webster in a Days Inn recommended by somebody on this board for 50 bucks for one night (AAA rate). We felt it was worth it (and, the rental car is cheaper than a carnival transfer!).

So not true. It's not because of the cruise ships. Galveston is a destination in itself. Hotel prices have always been jacked up on the weekends long before any cruise ships ever showed up in Galveston. You'll find this to be true of any vacation/resort type town anywhere in the U.S. Also, from what I've read here on these boards, most people sailing from Galveston don't even stay there.

Two or three nights--one or two in Houston but go to Galveston early the day before the cruise. Enjoy the sites and get a good night's rest.

BOOK EARLY. There will be a lot of people on your ship with the same plan. We flew into Houston the morning of the cruise and had the biggest crowd of people (including us) coming to Galveston on buses.

By being in Galveston that morning, you will waltz onto the ship as soon as they open embarkation.

Besides NASA and Kemah Boardwalk, you have Moody Gardens and the plane museum, the ride on the ferry, dog races, eating at "The Spot".

At Kemah Boardwalk, Joes Crab Shack has a cool boat that takes you out for a ride in the bay, it's pretty fun.

another good ,well run hotel to try is commodore on the beach..37th and seawall..clean,friendly and they take you to and from the ship..:cool:

We stayed at the Commodore a couple of times a long time ago. We loved the location and the people were friendly, but the last time we were there it seemed to have gone down hill. The AC wasn't very cool and sounded like it was going to "take off" any second and the continental breakfast was barely more than packaged sweet rolls and some cereal. They also didn't have a free shuttle to the ship available, but they did call a cab for us.

Has the hotel improved (hopefully, we'd love to stay there again :) )?

Archived