Puerto Rico Suggestions

We'll be on Freedom of the Seas the week of 6/29 and are looking for suggestions on touring in San Juan. We have a 16 year old son and 12 year old daughter. I thought about touring the Bacardi distillery, but was concerned about their closing time. We've booked "beach and snorkel" excursions st the other two ports, but wanted to "freestyle" this one. Any suggestions?

My wife and I winged it on our visit there. We just got off the ship, grabbed a map of the old city and started walking. We walked all over the old city, including a tour of the forts and then had lunch, went shopping, and just kicked around. It was a really nice day. Be forewarned that it is a lot of walking and there are some pretty steep hills so its not for everyone, but we enjoyed it.

Edit: You could always get a taxi up to the fort and start walking from there if you prefer. That way you would skip a lot of the 'uphill' walk.

I would skip the Bacardi distillery as I think it's a waste of time. I like walking around Old San Juan, there are also two forts your son might like. They have a free shuttle that takes you around the city and if you just want to ride it to see the city first, you can jump on/off as you like. It's not a tour with someone speaking, but it gives you a chance to see the city without walking in the heat!

I was in Puerto Rico last year on the Freedom. We were there several times, and we have done it all. This time, it was me and my aunt (I'm 16) and we booked a Segway Tour through a private company near El Morro Fort. It was awesome. They take you through the fort, places near the fort and around the town, and you get to do it all on a Segway, it was very fun, I think the kids will love it.

Here is the website: http://www.segwaytourspr.com/

They have a 45-60 minute tour which is $35 and a 2 hour tour which is $70.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

cot427 - I just booked the 45 minute tour for my family with girls (16,16,13). Did you do the short or long tour? I was thinking that we'd scope the area out during the tour and then catch the trolley back to anything that looked interesting. We also wanted to get to Senor Frogs for t-shirts for the girls. Any other suggestions?

Use public transportation (i think they have one htat is 25 cents per person) head up to El Morro and San Crisobol (sp). The provide WONDERFUL views on the ocean, and the island itself. Oh and they best part is they are under $10 per person admission. There are also part of the National Park System so if you have a season pass you will be skipping the entrance fee!!!

We did the short tour for only 45 minutes, which is enough if you want to see other things. Also, I was with my aunt, and she was a little weary about doing it, so we opted for the short tour.

After the Segway tour, we headed down to shop a little, and then went back to early dinner, there is a lot to see in Old San Juan.

We took a taxi up, and walked around a little in town and walked back to the ship. It was a very fun tour and the guide was so nice.

BTW, the Segways are really really easy to work, plus he gives you a little practice time in the plaza where you meet him, it is #21 on the map below:

http://www.travelmaps.com/OldSanJuan.html

If you are in Old San Juan for just a day you have to go to at least one of the forts. I would go to El Morro because it is the first one built and a lot of history there. my son was 13 when we went and he really liked it. Then if you have time walk around old San Juan and maybe see the old church. We stayed there for 4 days pre cruise and wished we could have stayed more, so much to see. The public transportation is ok, But very slow. You can walk faster. But if you are tried jump on and take a breather.

We'll be on Freedom of the Seas the week of 6/29 and are looking for suggestions on touring in San Juan. We have a 16 year old son and 12 year old daughter. I thought about touring the Bacardi distillery, but was concerned about their closing time. We've booked "beach and snorkel" excursions st the other two ports, but wanted to "freestyle" this one. Any suggestions?

My husband and I took the walking tour of Old San Juan. You got to see the Fort; El Morro...Beautiful.. After the tour, we ate at Barrachina's. Home of the Pina Colada. Outstanding food, and the Pina Coladas were killer, as I suspected they would be. We'll be back there this October. I'd fly from Alabama to San Juan to eat there if Air Fares weren't so high..:p

We took the segway tour mentioned above. We did the 45 minute tour. It was great and everyone had a good time. The tour guides were really nice and informative. We even got a quiz on the way back so pay attention! J We would definitely do this again the next time that we are there.

Last Nov, me and some friends did the post-cruise El Yunque Tropical Rain Forest Tour excursion- it was a nice way to debark early and have our luggage taken to the airport for us. It's a long drive so if you go, I recommend going with a tour.

Archived