simple dress code clarification

DonnaK

1. Are shorts taboo in the dining room at breakfast/lunch, or just at dinnertime?

2. On non-formal nights, what do most women wear? On other cruiselines, I always worn capris and a matching top with strappy sandals. Would this be too casual on Princess?

1. Are shorts taboo in the dining room at breakfast/lunch, or just at dinnertime?

2. On non-formal nights, what do most women wear? On other cruiselines, I always worn capris and a matching top with strappy sandals. Would this be too casual on Princess?

Shorts are o.k. at breakfast and lunch. Just taboo at dinner time. On non-formal nites I have seen capris and a matching top. Most women wear long nice pants with a nice top.

Marilyn

Are dressy jeans with heals and a nice top ok for women on non-formal nights?

Even though some folks wear jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights...Princess has stated in their guidelines (on their website) that jeans in the dining room during dinner are not allowed. Just thought I would inform you of their rule just in case a staff member does not give you access wearing jeans to the dining room.

Shorts are o.k. at breakfast and lunch. Just taboo at dinner time.

Marilyn

That is what I thought until we spent 24 days on the Royal....they requested that shorts not be worn in the dining room at lunch, also. I had to go back to the cabin to change,:o

Even though some folks wear jeans in the dining room on non-formal nights...Princess has stated in their guidelines (on their website) that jeans in the dining room during dinner are not allowed. Just thought I would inform you of their rule just in case a staff member does not give you access wearing jeans to the dining room.

I've read this also but saw quite a few in jeans on non-formal night - men and women. After seeing that I did brave my jeans on the last night since we had packed our suitcases and set them out before going into Victoria before eating. I didn't want to have to cram my PJs, coat, boots and dress pants into my carry-on and certainly didn't want to wear dressy clothes walking around Victoria ;)

I just got off the Grand Princess. The dress code in the patter mentioned shorts and baseball caps are not allowed in the dining room at dinner. There was no mention of jeans. I did see people wearing jeans at dinner.

Fisherwoman

I'm not a proponent of jeans in the dining room, but this isn't exactly correct. The guideline is as follows:

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

The exclusion clearly refers to very casual jeans that are frayed or have holes. It is OK to wear nice jeans if you wish, especially paired with a nice top and nice shoes. You will see some people in the dining room wearing jeans at dinner, however, they are very much in the minority.

That is what I thought until we spent 24 days on the Royal....they requested that shorts not be worn in the dining room at lunch, also. I had to go back to the cabin to change,:o

OMG:eek: . We will be on the Royal in January. Could you wear capri pants at lunch? What did the men wear? Are Bermuda shorts acceptable or was it just short shorts that were banned?

OMG:eek: . We will be on the Royal in January. Could you wear capri pants at lunch? What did the men wear? Are Bermuda shorts acceptable or was it just short shorts that were banned?

LOL....this man does not wear capri pants..but my wife does.:D

The princess patter...about every other day stated..... "no shorts in the dining room for lunch or dinner"

LOL....this man does not wear capri pants..but my wife does.:D

The princess patter...about every other day stated..... "no shorts in the dining room for lunch or dinner"

You are so funny:D . Sometimes it is impossible to tell the sex of the poster.;) So did you wear dockers or slacks? I really need to know what to bring for my husband to wear. Is there a buffet area that you can wear shorts in for lunch?

You are so funny:D . Sometimes it is impossible to tell the sex of the poster.;) So did you wear dockers or slacks? I really need to know what to bring for my husband to wear. Is there a buffet area that you can wear shorts in for lunch?

I wore docker-type pants....real dockers only when we were in port/docked.

Yes, there is a buffet area where you can wear shorts at lunch....deck 9 aft and a nice outdoor eating area right on the stern.

I wore docker-type pants....real dockers only when we were in port/docked.

Yes, there is a buffet area where you can wear shorts at lunch....deck 9 aft and a nice outdoor eating area right on the stern.

Very good. Thank you for your prompt reply. :) On a 14-day cruise, I can probably get DH to dress up two, maybe three times for lunch. He has no problem with dinner, but I would be pushing my luck to get him to do it every day for lunch. Ciao for now.

Are dressy jeans with heals and a nice top ok for women on non-formal nights?

It is OK to wear nice jeans if you wish, especially paired with a nice top and nice shoes. You will see some people in the dining room wearing jeans at dinner, however, they are very much in the minority.
As you say, there are very few people wearing jeans in the dining room for dinner. On my recent 31-day Sapphire cruise, I don't remember seeing anyone in jeans in the dining room for dinner. They might have been there but I didn't see any.

As you say, there are very few people wearing jeans in the dining room for dinner. On my recent 31-day Sapphire cruise, I don't remember seeing anyone in jeans in the dining room for dinner. They might have been there but I didn't see any.

I didn't see people wearing jeans on the DP to Hawaii at dinner either. And if they did, they might have felt out of place next to the women in pretty sundresses and cocktail dresses who were seated with me.

You can usually go by, "the longer the cruise, the more formal it tends to be"....not meaning that it's formal dress every night, but that people tend to dress on the nicer side...more dresses. On a 9 day cruise on the Crown, many women wore cocktail dresses on Smart Casual nights. I tend to wear dressier sundresses and tropical dresses in the evenings. I save my capris for breakfast and lunch. So far, I have yet to encounter the no shorts rule for breakfast or lunch in the dining room.

Archived