I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

CruisinEurope, my husband is taking your cautions about pickpocketers to heart.

Does anyone have any other suggestions about safeguarding their valuables? We won't be carrying anything like jewelry, but we will have money and credit card. We plan to keep our passport in the cabin safe. Do people use a money belt or the wallet that hangs around your neck under your clothes? How do you inconspicuously pull it out to get to your money when you're ready to purchase something?

Has anyone on this board had any problems after using their credit card while in the Baltics?

We two seniors will appreciate any advice and tips about keeping safe on our first big trip to Europe.

I started a new thread about purchasing a Copenhagen Card for a 72 hour period while at the Hotel Bethel. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Is there good value with the card concerning museums and restaurants as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Danish Viking and thank you for all of your help to so many travelers to CPH. I know you've done this many times but could you help me plan our short visit?

We are arriving on ship at Freeport and plan on self-disembarkation. Get a cab to the Marriott and purchase a 24 hour CPH card there. This is some of what I was thinking of seeing in one day. Rosenborg Castle, Amelianborg Castle (changing of the guard if possible), Round Tower, Canal Ride, Stroget. Back to Marriott to check-in. Tivioli in the evening and then the Ice Bar and back to Marriott.

Any hints, guidance, recommendations for this "plan" would be so appreciated.:)

Oh - if we happen to pass LaGlace - I would love to visit there too:D - looks beautiful and delicious.

Hi Cruisin

We too have a 4 & 6 year old (though yours are older now) so I don't public transport is an option to get from the cruise terminal to the airport. Do you know if they have shuttle services or only taxis to the airport and any idea on how much this would cost?

Thanks

@ eetonaee

Generally the city is safe, also at night but the area you have to walk through is in the middle of a huge reconstruction so the pavement on the sidewalk is not that good.

But maybe they are finished when you have arrived to Copenhagen.

I don´t think anything will happen but at midnight with all your luggage in any city in the world anything can happen.

But generally Copenhagen is safe.

@ Zoolander

It depends on what you want to see.

The citypass 24 hour transportation card cost 70 dkk but does only covers central copenhagen, frederiksberg and the airport.

The 24 hour transportation card cost 125 dkk but covers the same area as the CPH Card does.

That includes transportation to the cities were Frederiksborg and Kronborg castle and the Viking ship museum are located.

@ frisquito

Normally the cruiseships offer a shuttle or else there is alot of taxi´s.

The taxi will cost you around 250-300 danish kroners.

@ helpmesailaway

First i would walk to the central station and take the train to Nørreport were Rosenborg is located close to.

The castle opens at 10:00 so you have two hours to see the castle and get to Amalienborg at noon to see the changing of the guards.

The guards parade starts at the barracks at Rosenborg at around 11:30 so you could walk with them to Amalienborg or take a short cut to Amalienborg so you can cath the start and the end of the parade.

This walking map will show you both the short cut to Amalienborg and the parade route.

http://map.krak.dk/m/p2hDJ

After Amalienborg i would hit the Canal tours and after that strolling around strøget

You will find The Round Tower first but after a hard walk up to the top i can tell you that La Glaca is up next.

http://www.laglace.dk/eng

Then you can walk back to Mariott and relax before you are hitting Tivoli.

So the trip looks like this

Walking from Mariott to Central Station.

Take the train to Nørreport. (both S-train and regional train)

Walk to Rosenborg.

touring Rosenborg and the crown jewels.

Walking to Amalienborg.

See the changing of the guards at Amalienborg.

Walking to Nyhavn.

Taking the canal tour from Nyhavn.

Walking along strøget.

Climbing the Round Tower.

Have a nice cake at La Glace.

Finishing the last part of Strøget

Walk along Tivoli and Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek to Mariott.

Danish Viking,

Thanks.

We travel a little bit but we don't usually use public transportation. So, I want to make sure we get this correct.

So, really the benefit of the 72 hour Copenhagen Card has very little monetary value (concerning discounts at museums and restaurants)?

If we are going to go to Fred. and Kron. (what is the time allotment on these trips by the way?), plus we need the card for travel to our hotel and the pier is the CC the way to go?

I have no idea what those four trips would cost us if we payed for each one ala carte.

If we go for the card, do you like the idea of having the card with us on arrival, or is it very easy to just purchase the card at the airport?

Thanks for your time.

I would allow 8-10 hours to do both Frederiksborg and Kronborg included travel time to and from Copenhagen.

The CPH card covers entrance to Frederiksborg slot and the small ferry on the castle lake.

But it will not give any discounts or free entrance on Kronborg Slot.

The CPH Card cost 459 dkk for 72hours and 229 for 24 hours.

The trip to the castle will cost 125 + 60 in entrance at frederiksborg = 185 dkk

The trip with public transportation to from the airport to the hotel cost 34,5 and 23 from the hotel to the pier.

So already now the card has saved you for 242,5 dkk.

The last 216,5 kroners you can safe here.

http://www.e-pages.dk/woco/6/

You can safe some money by purchasing the card at the airport instead of paying to send it home to you.

Could you please tell me the best and easiest way to get to the Royal Copenhagen factory outlet store from the cruise ship terminal. Do you know what time it is open? We will arrive on Tuesday July 13 and be in town from approx 7 am to 5 pm. If we take a taxi do you know how much it would cost for 2 people? Thanks in advance - you have been very helpful in answering questions.:)

@ helpmesailaway

The Glyptotek closes at 17:00 so i would think that it is possible to be there around 1 hour before it close.

If we say that the canal tour is finished around 13:30-14:00 (the trip takes aprox 45-60 minutes) you still have around 2 hours to walk around strøget, the round tower and La Glace before you reach The Glyptotek.

The canal tour at Kongens Nytorv/Nyhavn is located 10 minutes in walking distance from Amalienborg.

@ cruisingatsea2

The shop is open from 10:00 to 19:00

http://www.royalcopenhagen.com/Service/Stores-and-Shops/Flagship-Store.aspx

The cheapest way is to take bus number 26 from the pier (both Langelinie and Freeport Terminal) to Kongens Nytorv and walk from there.

The walking route is here.

http://map.krak.dk/m/p2clx

The taxi will be in the 120-150 dkk range and the bus will be 2*23 dkk = 46 dkk and free if you have the CPH Card.

But if you take the bus you need to have coins or 50 and 100 notes ready because they will not accept larger notes and credit cards.

Thanks to all who have offered very good advice and info. We really appreciate you taking the time. We are still exploring the issue, but we have over a year to go until our trip...so hopefully we will get it all sorted out by then! Thanks again Anne

Thanks Danish Viking.:)

I saved that website to my Favorites. That will help very much indeed.;)

Thanks again.

Looks like the 72 hour card IS a no-brainer.

We will order it on-line and have it with us on arrival in late August.

Danish Viking, Thanks for all you help. Are you experiencing any fallout from the Iceland Volcano? Scary stuff!!

Can you tell me if there's alternative transportation from Iceland to Copenhagen other than flights? Any ferry/cruises? We'll be there in a few weeks(hopefully :o) and would like to know our resources if we get into Iceland and can't fly to Copenhagen.

Thanks again,

Pmat

@ pmat

You can´t see the ash but when the sun goes down/gets up the sky is all red, very beautiful.

To answer your question i can tell you that it is possible to sail from Iceland to Denmark with the cruise ferry Norröna

You just have to sail from Seyðisfjørður on iceland 21th and 28th of april at 20:00 and arriving in Esbjerg in Denmark at 24th and 1st of may at 09:00.

Also departures on the 5th and 12th of may at 20:00 arriving in Esbjerg at 8th and 15th of may at 09:00

Seyðisfjørður is located around 400 km north east of Icelands capital reykjavik but with bus or car it is around 700 km.

Esbjerg is located on the western coast of Denmark, a little bit over 3 hours with a direct train from Copenhagen.

http://www.smyril-line.dk/Sejlplan.aspx

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=reykjavik&daddr=Sey%C3%B0isfj%C3%B6r%C3%B0ur,+East,+Island&hl=da&geocode=Faqg0gMd1uex_inD7dzuuXTWSDFxYNIwoiyR7A%3BFbfM4wMd71sq_ymZ1jyE_P7LSDGdgJbarVPF7w&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=66.434323,-16.083984&sspn=6.197157,19.665527&ie=UTF8&z=7

@ Mama Pat

There is around 700 meters, so a 5-10 minute walking.

I need a little help please. We will be coming into port on the Eurodam (freeport I believe) on a Friday morning. We would like to be in a hotel that has a good central location especially for a late night visit to Tivoli. We must get to the airport in the morning for our flight back to the US. That being said, what hotel would you recommend? I'd like to stay under $200 a night. Also, how would you suggest getting to the hotel from the pier and then to the airport the next morning?

Thank you!

I seached on a friday in june and found these prices.

Imperial Hotel - 122 USD

The Square - 158 USD

Copenhagen Plaza - 174 USD

Grand Hotel - 112 USD

Radisson SAS Royal Hotel - 177 USD

Hotel Astoria - 106 USD

Hotel City Nebo - 88 USD

Hotel Du Nord - 153 USD

Norlandia Star Hotel - 102 USD

Scandic Webers - 181 USD

DGI Byens Hotel - 141 USD

Cab-inn City Hotel - 80 USD

I just used hotels.com

http://www.hotels.com/

@ robcruz

Normally 18 minutes but around 30 minutes in the rush hour.

@ Joy2theWorld

Of all the hotels i would choose Radisson, Copenhagen Plaza, DGI Byen and Astoria in that order.

They are all located next door to Tivoli and the Central Station.

To get from the freeport terminal to the hotels around Central station there are 4 ways.

First take bus number 26 all the way to the Central station (København H)

Take the bus to Østerport Station and take a train to the Central Station.

Walk to Nordhavn Station and take the train to Central Station there.

Or take a taxi to the hotel

The taxi will cost you around 150 dkk and the bus/train ticket will be 46 dkk for 2 adults.

To get to the airport from the hotel you simply just just take the airport train from the Central Station.

Train ticket for 2 adults is 69 dkk.

Archived