I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

You are not only informative, but also very kind, Danish Viking. I thank you for offering to walk me through booking train tickets online, but I have finally had success with DSB, the Danish National Railroad. I emailed salginfo@dsb.dk and told them I was having trouble booking in English. A wonderful woman named Marianne Bonefeldt wrote back that unfortunately, their booking system is not yet available in any language but Danish. However, she attached a 14-page PDF file explaining the process in English window by window. Booking orange tickets is still not explained well, but right-clicking on the dsb.dk website brings up a translation page! Thanks to your information, I kept digging to find an orange ticket price. What a difference! We have to change our departure time by 20 minutes, but the savings are substantial. Regular RT Copenhagen-Odense 2nd class = $215 for 2 people. Orange (non-refundable and non-changeable) = $95 for 2 people! Hope this kind of info helps someone else. MANGE TAK, Danish Viking. :D

I just remembered that I emailed 2 different addresses for the DSB. In addition to the salginfo@dsb.dk address, also try kundehenv@dsb.dk. Marianne contacted me from NETBUTIKKEN@dsb.dk.

Don't forget to order seat reservations (pladsbilletter?) or you will not have a seat. You cannot book more than 2 months ahead of time. Tickets can be printed or you can pick them up at the station (but there is a time limit involved there).

For Danish Viking, I've posted this question on the lovely City Hall in Copenhagen.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1222934

From our first visit in 2008 to Copenhagen, we did the canal boat, Tivoli, walking back from the main town, etc. We super loved the town, its architecture and history, people, etc. Earlier this week our former Columbus Mayor told me about visiting in the late 1980's the Lord Mayor's office at Copenhagen's historic City Hall. He raved about the art, tapestries, knights armor, etc. that is there and said to go inside and up to that office on the second floor. Reactions on what is now there inside their City Hall, climbing the tower, etc.??? THANKS for your help and suggestions! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I have been up there but i´m guessing that the view is amazing because the tower is 3 time higher than the round tower. The town hall and tower is open between 07:45 and 17:00 but not in the weekend and the entrance is free.

THANKS, Danish Viking, for the hours and added info on the City Hall tower! Free is priceless, but it's a little work to walk up that high. Any insights on how nice and interesting are the interiors of City Hall?

The latest update from AccuWeather for Copenhagen, shows a "heat wave" coming compared to what others have been experiencing on a current cruise in the Baltic Sea areas. Here's what they are now projecting for Copenhagen next week: Tuesday, June 29, a blend of sun and clouds Low: 61 °F, High: 73 °F; Wednesday, June 30, mostly sunny, Low: 62 °F, High: 73 °F; Thursday, July 1, partly sunny, a shower; warm, Low: 64 °F, High: 78 °F. From a friend in Copenhagen, her reaction to this 70's temperatures next week was "Whoo hoo! Sounds like a heat wave at last!". For tomorrow through Monday, Copenhagen will be very sunny and in the low 70's for those five days. Maybe my friend's husband, who planned a "Jewish Viking rain dance", has things working with his reverse psychology plan to entertain the Weather God.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Ups i wrote "i have been up there" but i intended to write "i Have never been up there" so i can´t comment on the inside.

BTW. this good weather also seems to continue in next week and that is good because i will attend Roskilde Festival and that would be a shame in good weather.

That would also mean that i can´t answer any questions from next wednesday to next monday when i´m rocking out to Gorillaz, Prince, Muse and others.

Thanks, but when was the last time, just hate to get off with no idea about cash.

thanks

bob

In 2003 ... I know things change but I would think they would still have some currency exchange or ATM there

We will be there July 14 th I will post as to what is there now if you are going after that date & no one comes up with a more definitive answer for you

You can always check for ATM's at

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/atmlocations/index.html

or your bank's ATM locator

Dear Terry in Ohio,

Thanks for the weather report. We should keep it going. I hear it has even been chilly on the Riviera.

I live not far from Grove City, so we are practically neighbors. This will be our first trip to any of the Baltic countries (except Russia, if you include St. Petersburg). Any tips?

Paula

Hello,

Could you please tell me the train cost from the airport to the central station. Also, my cruise leaves from Freeport pier/faergrhaun nord c 245, should I take a taxi to the pier or can I use the train? Thanks, Chris

Dear Terry in Ohio, Thanks for the weather report. We should keep it going. I hear it has even been chilly on the Riviera.

I live not far from Grove City, so we are practically neighbors. This will be our first trip to any of the Baltic countries (except Russia, if you include St. Petersburg). Any tips? Paula

Hi, Central Ohio neighbor, Paula! Know the Grove City area well. YES, there are lots and lots of great ideas for cruising the Baltics. I have plenty to share and have already posted many ideas. I'm happy to chat more by phone, if that helps. Let me know your e-mail so that we can hook-up before we depart on Tuesday for our Norway Coast cruise.

Here are a couple of general suggestions. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see items on Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc., for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc. Also grab, maybe from your local or the Columbus main library, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc., for these different ports These resources can you help better figure out your priorities for what you want to do and see. The visuals in these books help you figure out what's most of interest rather than just reading lots and lots of text.

What cruise are you doing to what ports, when? Tell us more. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi, Central Ohio neighbor, Paula! Know the Grove City area well. YES, there are lots and lots of great ideas for cruising the Baltics. I have plenty to share and have already posted many ideas. I'm happy to chat more by phone, if that helps. Let me know your e-mail so that we can hook-up before we depart on Tuesday for our Norway Coast cruise.

Here are a couple of general suggestions. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see items on Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc., for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on this board by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc. Also grab, maybe from your local or the Columbus main library, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc., for these different ports These resources can you help better figure out your priorities for what you want to do and see. The visuals in these books help you figure out what's most of interest rather than just reading lots and lots of text.

What cruise are you doing to what ports, when? Tell us more. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry,

My email address is pprindle@ee.net. We are leaving on Aug. 28 on the Vision of the Seas for a 7-day cruise: Copenhagen--Tallinn--St. Pete--Helsinki--Stockholm--Copenhagen. We spent 3 days in St. Petersburg in 2007 during a Russian River cruise. I am also in touch with my cruisemates on another message board.

We are spending 3 days in London before our cruise, and 3 in Copenhagen afterward. One of our Danish days we will spend with descendants of my great-great-grandparents that I have never met.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Bon voyage!

Paula

Hello,

Could you please tell me the train cost from the airport to the central station. Also, my cruise leaves from Freeport pier/faergrhaun nord c 245, should I take a taxi to the pier or can I use the train? Thanks, Chris

Dear Chris,

You are on our cruise. Here is what Danish Viking posted a while back on this thread:

"If your ship is docked at the Freeport Terminal you need to take bus number 26 from Monday to Friday. On the weekend a short walk to Nordhavn Station and take the S-train to the Central Station."

Since our cruise is Sat.--Sat., we are out of luck for the bus connection directly to the pier. From the airport we will have to take the train all the way to Nordhavn Station, then a taxi or 14-minute walk from there to the pier. At least that is how I see it. Freeport is a bit farther than Langelinie.

BTW, this thread is very informative, thanks to Danish Viking. If you have time, scroll back to the beginning.

See you in 2 months! :D

Paula

Terry,

My email address is pprindle@ee.net. We are leaving on Aug. 28 on the Vision of the Seas for a 7-day cruise: Copenhagen--Tallinn--St. Pete--Helsinki--Stockholm--Copenhagen. We spent 3 days in St. Petersburg in 2007 during a Russian River cruise. I am also in touch with my cruisemates on another message board.

We are spending 3 days in London before our cruise, and 3 in Copenhagen afterward. One of our Danish days we will spend with descendants of my great-great-grandparents that I have never met.

Hope to hear from you soon. Bon voyage! Paula

THANKS! Sent you a note earlier this morning. Look forward to talking more later today. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Dear Chris,

You are on our cruise. Here is what Danish Viking posted a while back on this thread:

"If your ship is docked at the Freeport Terminal you need to take bus number 26 from Monday to Friday. On the weekend a short walk to Nordhavn Station and take the S-train to the Central Station."

Since our cruise is Sat.--Sat., we are out of luck for the bus connection directly to the pier. From the airport we will have to take the train all the way to Nordhavn Station, then a taxi or 14-minute walk from there to the pier. At least that is how I see it. Freeport is a bit farther than Langelinie.

BTW, this thread is very informative, thanks to Danish Viking. If you have time, scroll back to the beginning.

See you in 2 months! :D

Paula

HI Paula

I will be staying at the Copenhagen Plaza, for 2 nite pre cruise, which is very near central station. I was just wondering if I will be able to take the train to the pier.

Paula, We are on the same tour of Tallin, that Morven arranged. See you in 2 months, can't wait. Chris

HI Paula

I will be staying at the Copenhagen Plaza, for 2 nite pre cruise, which is very near central station. I was just wondering if I will be able to take the train to the pier.

Paula, We are on the same tour of Tallin, that Morven arranged. See you in 2 months, can't wait. Chris

Chris,

From Central Station, take the S-train to Nordhavn, then either get a taxi from there or hike the 14-minute walk to Freeport Pier. We will go directly from the airport, since we are staying in Copenhagen after the cruise. Too bad about the #26 bus not running to Freeport on the weekends. :( Oh well, we can handle it.

We will be staying near Central Station also---at the Hotel Nebo.

See you soon,

Paula

Archived