I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

The hotel is booked. Reviews, location and price look great. They answered my email quickly and there was room in the inn. Thanks for the tip.

Would you recomend a visit to Tivoli? What about the travel card for 24 hours?

You are welcome; I researched for quite a long time before I found this wonderful Hotel in a great location; but we won't be staying there until next Spring so I cannot comment on the 24 hour travel card or Tivoli but from what I've read it's a must see, especially at night.

Som

What great help in planning a stay in Copenhagen. We will be staying Sept 8 through 11, 2011 pre cruise. What temps should we expect...would a light jacket be appropriate. We are sailing on the Emerald Princess, transatlantic back to Florida, and are looking into the hotels that include the light supper.. Has anyone stayed at this type hotel, and what exactly is a light supper?????:confused::confused:

Thank you all for the great info on Copenhagen. I have been really getting stressed about which hotel to stay in for 2 nites before our cruise July 23rd on the Emerald. Some of the hotels i had researched are now booked up. Can anyone please give me the pros/cons staying either at the Marriott or the Crowne Plaza. I realize they are both not right in town. I would try priceline if decide on Marriott. The Crown Plaza does inc AC, breakfast, free shuttle from ap, nonsmoke rooms and a King bed. Are there any places near there to grab some food, or mall? Know would have to take train to town. At the Marriott closer but still a distance to walk at night. Please answer asap, thanks, elaine

Thank you all for the great info on Copenhagen. I have been really getting stressed about which hotel to stay in for 2 nites before our cruise July 23rd on the Emerald.

Elaine, have you considered staying closer to town. What about Hotel Bethel or Best Western (City). They both get great reviews on tripadvisor.

Crowne plaza is in Ørestad part of town, far away from the city center, but the metro goes directly to the hotel. Also, the hotel is well connected to the airport by train. All in all a very convenient location from a transportation point of view. There is a huge shopping center right by the hotel as well. But, even though is is very well situated, it's still far away from the city center and definitely not in walking distance. You have to take the metro to get out there. And apart from the shopping center, there is nothing to do in the area, it's just office blocks and modernistic apartment buildings.

Marriott is located in the city. It's correct, that it is on the rim of the city center, but you can walk there, and you can get to the city center by walking 15 minutes or so. It's also located by the water, which is nice. If price is the same, I would choose Marriot because of it's location.

I am hoping the Copenhagen experts on this thread can please advise, how far is the cruise port from the Copenhagen city center? We have toured Copenhagen quite extensively on a previous independent trip. We are wondering if a hotel at or near the cruise port might allow an easier transition for a pre-cruise night and perhaps be more affordable than staying in the city center?

Hi Danish Viking - you are a great source of information and I love reading all of your responses.

We will be coming to your lovely city in May 2011 as a pre cruise bonus. We have narrowed down our hotel to two choices - Hotel Mayfair or Clarion Hotel 27. We selected these hotels as they include breakfast and light dinner as you have mentioned - food is expensive. Neither hotel has airport transfers or pier transfers. If we take a cab - is it pricey? I thought I read around $35 US dollars? Is using the train - which is less expensive - easy with our luggage? The same for the pier - can we take a taxi or local transporation ok?

We are walkers and would love to just walk around the city and see the sights- do these hotels make that possible.? I have read that US credit cards are not accepted unless there is a pin number - do you mean debit cards are OK?

Thank you so much for all your useful information. I will continue to read this thread up till the day we leave for our trip.

Hello

Heading to the Baltic and first stop is Copenhgen.........We have approx 1 1/2 to spend before heading on a Cruise.

1. We were looking at Hotels - Scandic, The Sqaure, Palace, Ibsens or? like ones with breakfast included.........suggestions / advise?

2. Listing of to see items - Tivoli, Roesenbury Castle, Amalenborg Palance, Mermad Statue, Viking Museum - other suggestions? Order to see first to last to utilize time effectly

3. Shopping - suggestions?

Regards, Jim

@ maggie3

The closest hotel to the piers is located near Østerport Station so you are not located at the pier but close to.

These are Comfort Hotel Østerport and Adina Apartment Hotel.

It is number one and 2 on this map.

http://map.krak.dk/query?what=map&hits_on_map=1&mop=yp&disable_ka=1&geo_area=2100&search_word=hotel

The hotel price is almost the same as the downtown hotels but you will be a little bit off location so i would go for a more centrally located hotel.

@ agelessgram

You can walk to each of your selected hotels from the central station so the airport train will be alot cheaper, 31,5 DKK for one person.

There are 2 cruise terminals in Copenhagen so i need a pier location and a date because one of the terminals is not served by bus number 26 in the weekends.

The restaurants and shops located in the tourist areas will take the card most of the time but in general i would suggest that you will get a card with a pincode.

@ jam-mac

I´m not the one to ask about hotels so i´m hope that someone else will help.

The viking ship museum is located in Roskilde some 30 km´s from Copenhagen but is well served with trains going almost all the time.

The traintrip takes around 25 minutes so depending on if you take the bus in Roskilde or walk from the train station to the museum i would allow around 1 hour in travel time in each direction.

The other sights are all located in walking distance from each other, but the mermaid is in the outskirts of the downtown area so it will take a longer time to walk to that location.

• 1 month later...
Hello Heading to the Baltic and first stop is Copenhgen.........We have approx 1 1/2 to spend before heading on a Cruise.

1. We were looking at Hotels - Scandic, The Sqaure, Palace, Ibsens or? like ones with breakfast included.........suggestions / advise?

2. Listing of to see items - Tivoli, Roesenbury Castle, Amalenborg Palance, Mermad Statue, Viking Museum - other suggestions? Order to see first to last to utilize time effectly

3. Shopping - suggestions? Regards, Jim

Hi, Jim! Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Lots of info and helpful people here. Have some Copenhagen suggestions to consider in this great and wonderful city. Also, some tips on better maximizing your use on these boards.

We stayed at The Square Hotel. Great location right overlooking the main City Hall Square and right nearby to Tivoli and other key locations. Very excellent breakfast buffet, but it involves an added cost. Like this hotel, very clean, classy modern design touches, etc. Highly suggest this hotel, if you can get a decent rate in this costly city.

Check out this posting that I did on walking in Copenhagen. This town is flat and easy to explore. Watch for the bike riders. Lots of them!!!

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

I strongly suggest taking a canal boat trip. You'll see this charming city from a great angle. So much wonderful architecture and interesting history here. On shopping, prices are very high here, including their VAT tax. Don't expect bargains or deals here. Below are some pictures for great things to see and do, including Tivoli at night when it is lighted so well.

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

Reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 26,450 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen's famed Mermaid statue is fairly small but attracts large crowds. It is now back after spending the summer of 2010 in China.:

1A-CPH-MermaidCrowds.jpg

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “New” Harbor is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

@ bxny

As you can see on this map there is around 1 km or around 10 to 15 minutes from Nordhavn St. to the freeport terminal.

http://map.krak.dk/m/IZqti

As a bonus (or early xmas gift) i will post a youtube link to a song called Nordhavn Station by a danish rockband called Magtens Korridorer (the Corridors of Power)

We will be in Copenhagen for 5 days before our cruise, and we will be staying somewhere around the Central Train Station. I am on a low-sodium diet.

How difficult will it be for me to find food that can be freshly prepared without a lot of sauces or other sources of hidden sodium?

Danish Viking,

Many thanks for posting the link to the cruise ships calls in Copenhagen for 2011. We are on the HAL Rotterdam who spends the day there on the 4 June 2011. According to the list we are at pier c243. Judging from the numbers is that at the Freeport Cruise Terminal, or a different place?

Thanks for any help you can provide, looking forward to your fair city visit.

Danish Viking,

Many thanks for the map of the harbor area and yes indeed c243 is at the Freeport terminal. From what I can determine I should be easily able to walk to the nearest s-tog station to get into the city center. Again, thanks for the help.

BTW, if any one else tries to get the PDF of the map, you are probably going to have to change the suffix of the downloaded file to .pdf for it to actually open on your computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Danish viking,

We would like to take the train from Copenhagen to Paris. Is it possible to do it in one day's time. We have a hard time trying to search for the train schedule....

Thanks in advance!

Lynn

Archived