I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Danish Viking,

My husband and I will be staying at the Marriott in May. We’d appreciate any recommendations on the most affordable way to get to the hotel from the airport and from the hotel to the ship. We’ll be boarding the Emerald Princess.

Thanks,

Nellie

@ nsan111

The Hotel is located behind the central station so if you take the Airport train (not the Metro) you can simply just walk to the hotel from there.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I6hn0

When you are getting to the cruise terminal you can either take the S-train from track 9 and 10 to Nordhavn and walk from there.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I6h0e

I´m guessing that you are on the may 24th sailing and if that is the case you can take bus number 26 from Østerport to the pier.

The bus goes at XX:08, XX:28 and XX:48, the bus that goes at XX:18, XX:38 and XX:58 only goes to Langelinie pier and not the freeport terminal.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I6hmL

But if you are in port on a weekend you can´t take the bus to the freeport terminal.

We're staying pre-cruise at the Clarion Mayfair which is at Helgolandsgade 3.

Am I correct in that if we take the train from the airport to Central Station we can exit with our luggage (we'll each have one large bag on wheels) and walk to the hotel from there?

We're also interested in transportation from the Clarion Mayfair to the airport, as well as transp. post-cruise from the pier to the hotel(will disembark on a Saturday). What is the recommended transportation from the port to the hotel on a Saturday? We will travel with a Med. sized luggage on wheels.

Thanks.

I should have done a bit of research before posting above question.

I checked my Copenhagen city map (you can order them online from Copenhagen Tourism - very quick mailing), and it looks like the hotel is located only 2 blocks away from Central train station. Someone on Tripadvisor said its only a 5 minute walk, so should be easy to do with luggage.

Still would like to know how best to get from pier to hotel on a Saturday.

Thanks

@ canadarocks

You are correct, the hotel is only 4 minutes on foot from the central station.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I6Www

@ Stelladoro

As you arrive on a saturday you can´t use bus number 26 but if you look at my second link at my last post you can see how you can walk to Nordhavn station where you can take a S-train to the central station.

This will cost 24 DKK for one single ticket.

A taxi will cost around 150 DKK.

@ canadarocks

@ Stelladoro

As you arrive on a saturday you can´t use bus number 26 but if you look at my second link at my last post you can see how you can walk to Nordhavn station where you can take a S-train to the central station.

This will cost 24 DKK for one single ticket.

A taxi will cost around 150 DKK.

Tak! I can see Nordhavn Station on my map. Should be easy to get there and much better cost than taking a taxi.

Tak! I can see Nordhavn Station on my map. Should be easy to get there and much better cost than taking a taxi.

Had another look at the map. I think we need to walk from pier to Osteport Station to take a train to Central stn, as Nordhavn Stn. goes the other way.

@ nsan111

The Hotel is located behind the central station so if you take the Airport train (not the Metro) you can simply just walk to the hotel from there.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I6hn0

When you are getting to the cruise terminal you can either take the S-train from track 9 and 10 to Nordhavn and walk from there.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I6h0e

I´m guessing that you are on the may 24th sailing and if that is the case you can take bus number 26 from Østerport to the pier.

The bus goes at XX:08, XX:28 and XX:48, the bus that goes at XX:18, XX:38 and XX:58 only goes to Langelinie pier and not the freeport terminal.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I6hmL

But if you are in port on a weekend you can´t take the bus to the freeport terminal.

Thank you so much for your information. We are sailing on the 24th.

@ itec

You can do a daytrip to Frederiksborg Castle and Kronborg Castle (Hamlet) in one trip or the viking ship museum in Roskilde.

Both can be done by train(s), just ask if you want to know anything.

Would it be possible to visit Kronborg Castle during our one-day cruise stop, along with a canal tour and a visit to the additional "must-see" sights mentioned on this thread? Our ship is in port at Langeline from 8:00 a.m.on 7/1 - 1:00 a.m. on 7/2. I know that we will love walking around Copenhagen, but it would appeal to us to see either Kronborg or the fishing village, Dragor, that Terry mentioned earlier on this thread. As Americans, we try to pack in 10 lbs. of sausage in a 5 lb. skin; but, if this is not a good idea, please let me know. Carolyn

Hi Danish Viking - Thank you for all the great advice you've given on this board.

We will be on the Emerald Princess June 4 sailing leaving from Copenhagen. Unforturnately because of my work schedule I am unable to extend the vacation to include a night in Copenhagen pre or post cruise. We will arrive at the Copenhagen airport at 6 am on the day of the cruise after an all night flight. Our plan is to take the train to Central Station, check our bags there, and then sightsee for about 5 hours before we board the ship. I was thinking about maybe doing the Hop-On Hop-off bus or a canal tour. Maybe a taxi? Can you please give me your opinion about the best way to see the most in Copenhagen in a short amount of time? Is the Hop-On Hop-Off or canal tour accessible from Central Station? And what are the must-see sights in Copehagen? Our ship leaves the pier at 6 PM. I'm not sure what time we will need to be on board, but I'm thinking that we should be done around 2 or 2:30 and will need time to get to the ship. Your thoughts and advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Danish Viking - Thank you for all the great advice you've given on this board. We will be on the Emerald Princess June 4 sailing leaving from Copenhagen. Unforturnately because of my work schedule I am unable to extend the vacation to include a night in Copenhagen pre or post cruise. We will arrive at the Copenhagen airport at 6 am on the day of the cruise after an all night flight. Our plan is to take the train to Central Station, check our bags there, and then sightsee for about 5 hours before we board the ship. I was thinking about maybe doing the Hop-On Hop-off bus or a canal tour. Maybe a taxi? Can you please give me your opinion about the best way to see the most in Copenhagen in a short amount of time? Is the Hop-On Hop-Off or canal tour accessible from Central Station? And what are the must-see sights in Copehagen? Our ship leaves the pier at 6 PM. I'm not sure what time we will need to be on board, but I'm thinking that we should be done around 2 or 2:30 and will need time to get to the ship. Your thoughts and advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, Tina! With your time so limited and if you have some budget flexibility, a taxi might help on parts of your logistics. Time is money and you need to maximize all you can do in this city. I would suggest having a list of what you want your driver to pass and show you. You might check with your cruise line on how early you can drop off your bags at the ship. Much depends on what you like to see and do in Copenhagen. It is a super wonderful city with so much great history, architecture and charm. After a long, long flight, your body clock might challenge your efforts. That's a nice plus to do a canal boat trip. Less time on your feet standing and waiting and walking. The key secret is to "go for it!!!" Copenhagen is worth it. Tivoli is super wonderful and nearby to the Central train station, City Hall, etc. Below is a posting I did on walking from Tivoli back to the ship docking area. It's about a three mile walk. Not too bad and so wonderful with its sights and sites.

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

Below are a few of my visuals to show top sights I would suggest. What are your personal interests and the types of things you like to see? Tell us more!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 31,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The water, boat and unique architecture of Tivoli. This park inspired Walt Disney with his 20th Century creations!:

1A-Copenhagen-TivoliB.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “New” Harbor is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

Here's the statute in front of the historic Christiansborg Palace that houses the parliament, prime minister, top courts, etc.:

1A-CPH-GovtBldgStatue.jpg

Copenhagen's historic 1695 Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church with its famous corkscrew spire as seen on the canal tour in the Christanshavns canal area:

CopenSpiralChurch.jpg

Copenhagen's famed Mermaid statue is fairly small but attracts large crowds. It is now back after spending the summer of 2010 in China.:

1A-CPH-MermaidCrowds.jpg

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to the ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

@ canadarocks

Sorry this map is not available in english, maybe Google Maps is better but i don´t know how to make routes on Google Maps.

@ Stelladoro

I can see why you think that but the 4 tracks are seperated into 2 S-train tracks and 2 commuter train tracks.

The platform that you can see on the map is for the S-trains and its the one you gonna use.

@ MRSBITS

Kronborg Castle is open from 10:30 to 17:00 and you can take the train to Helsingør from Østerport station withs is located close to Langelinie pier.

You can walk from the ship through the Kastellet Fortress to Østerport or take bus number 26.

The train departs at XX:16, XX:36 and XX:56 during the day and it take 38 minutes.

So you can take a train at 09:16 and be in Helsingør at 09:54 and enjoy the nice stroll around the harbour and up to the castle.

If you leave Kronborg at 13:00 you can get the 13:25 train back to Copenhagen but instead of going off at Østerport you just take the train one stop further to Nørreport and change to the Metro line M1 and M2 towards Lufthaven (the airport) or Vestamager and get off at Kongens Nytorv at 14:15.

Kongens Nytorv (Kings New Square) is located next to Nyhavn where the canal tours departs from.

But your ship can be docked at freeport so please let me know the date and ships name or location so i can give you the best way to reach the train station.

Hi Terry - Thank you so much for your recommendation about taking a taxi. I think that's what I needed to hear. There will be four of us travelling together so we can split the cost. I love your idea of walking to the ship but I'm afraid we will be too tired after our long flight to walk to the Freeport terminal.

This is what I'm thinking: We will arrive at Copenhagen airport at 6 am but by the time we collect our bags, get the train to the city, and check our bags at Central Station, it will probably be around 8 am and we will want to find someplace to have breakfast. After we eat we can catch a taxi and have the driver take us around the city past some of the sights you mentioned (I'll do my homework and make a list). Then we can be dropped off at Nyhavn where we can browse and take a canal tour (on the website it says the first one is at 10:30). After the canal tour we will walk to Tivoli Gardens (it's not more than a mile is it?) for a quick walk around it. After, since Tivoli is close to Central Station we will pick up our bags and take a taxi to the ship.

Do you think this itinerary is realistic? I think I'd like to get to the pier by 3:00.

Great thread. I'm looking for a recommendation of where to stay. I will be arriving in CPH on 3rd May on the Vision of the Seas and then return home at 14.45 on the 4th May. I will be travelling alone and on a budget, where would you recommend I stay on the 3rd May? I want somewhere safe and central. I've still got to work out some sort of tour of the city. If you were me, a first time visitor, what would you recommend for filling my time?

@ canadarocks

Sorry this map is not available in english, maybe Google Maps is better but i don´t know how to make routes on Google Maps.

@ Stelladoro

I can see why you think that but the 4 tracks are seperated into 2 S-train tracks and 2 commuter train tracks.

The platform that you can see on the map is for the S-trains and its the one you gonna use.

@ MRSBITS

Kronborg Castle is open from 10:30 to 17:00 and you can take the train to Helsingør from Østerport station withs is located close to Langelinie pier.

You can walk from the ship through the Kastellet Fortress to Østerport or take bus number 26.

The train departs at XX:16, XX:36 and XX:56 during the day and it take 38 minutes.

So you can take a train at 09:16 and be in Helsingør at 09:54 and enjoy the nice stroll around the harbour and up to the castle.

If you leave Kronborg at 13:00 you can get the 13:25 train back to Copenhagen but instead of going off at Østerport you just take the train one stop further to Nørreport and change to the Metro line M1 and M2 towards Lufthaven (the airport) or Vestamager and get off at Kongens Nytorv at 14:15.

Kongens Nytorv (Kings New Square) is located next to Nyhavn where the canal tours departs from.

But your ship can be docked at freeport so please let me know the date and ships name or location so i can give you the best way to reach the train station.

Thank you, Danish Viking, for the detailed journey/times to Kronborg Castle. We are on the Eclipse docking at Langeline Pier 190 on 6/01 at 8:00 a.m - 6/02 departing at 1:00 a.m. My thinking now is that we will do our "must-see" sights and canal cruise in the morning, and venture out to Kronborg in the afternoon. That should allow us to back to visit Tivoli in the early evening. Where can I find the appropriate train schedules for an afternoon visit to Kronborg and back to Tivoli? Carolyn

@ canadarocks

Sorry no senior discounts on the CPH Card.

@ MRSBITS

The train schedule is here

On the Helsingør - Copenhagen schedule you need 3th column

On the Copenhagen - Helsingør schedule you need the 2nd column

Copenhagen Central Station is København H

http://www.dsbfirst.dk/files/Dokumenter/koreplan/Kystbanen_internet_2011.pdf

Tivoli is located next to the central station.

If you purchase the Copenhagen Card then you will have the transportation covered and if not i will calculate the cheapest tickets for you.

@ judygarland2009

The Cab-Inn City hotel is one of the cheapest hotels in downtown and its located close to Tivoli and the central station.

Also Hotel Wake Up in the Tivoli Congress Center is cheap in Copenhagen standards.

You can go to visitcopenhagen.dk to see what to do in Copenhagen.

The national Museum has free entrance but else you can get free or reduced entrance fees + free transportation with the Copenhagen Card.

Thanks Danish Viking. I'm trying to decide which Copenhagen Card to purchase. We arrive at 1:00 PM on a Tuesday and we sail on Thursday. We would want to activate the card immediately to take the train from the airport to Central Station. But after flying overnight I expect us to be tired, so I'm not sure how much we will want to do that first day.

So my decision seems to be whether to (1) buy the 72 hour card or (2) pay for the train to get to our hotel and just get the 24 hour card and activate it Tuesday evening at Tivoli Gardens (I know we will want to spend our 2 evenings there). We would then have to pay for our transport to Freeport Terminal on Thursday morning. With the 72 hour card I know the airport to hotel, and hotel to cruise terminal trips would be covered.

Can you help me decide? :confused:

Archived