I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

With the US Dollar decline in value. Which is the best way to get from the airport to the Hotel Opera? Which station do we use to get into town and how far is it from our hotel. Will a taxi take us the short distance to the hotel from the station. Are the trains easy to take with luggage? Thanks. Dave

Much depends, Dave, on how much luggage you have and how tight is your budget. We just took a cab from the airport to our hotel. Given that you're tired from a long, long flight, it is much easier and simpler to walk out the air terminal and get a cab into the main town. Fortunately, the distance from the airport to the central town is not that far. When you add up ALL of the costs in time and money, that straight cab ride to your hotel can be worth the little added cost. Your time and sanity are worth something, right? Copenhagen is so wonderful that getting off to the right "start" for your arrival can be valuable.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,370 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Much depends, Dave, on how much luggage you have and how tight is your budget. We just took a cab from the airport to our hotel. Given that you're tired from a long, long flight, it is much easier and simpler to walk out the air terminal and get a cab into the main town. Fortunately, the distance from the airport to the central town is not that far. When you add up ALL of the costs in time and money, that straight cab ride to your hotel can be worth the little added cost. Your time and sanity are worth something, right? Copenhagen is so wonderful that getting off to the right "start" for your arrival can be valuable.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,370 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry: Your are right but if some of the posts are correct 300dkk if quite a bit for a short taxi ride.

Dave

@ dsw39

A taxi is nice but your hotel is located just around the corner from the Kongens Nytorv metro station.

The travel time is 13 minutes with Metro line M2 and the Metro goes every 4 to 5 minutes depending on with time of the day you will arrive.

If you have the Copenhagen Card the metro ride is free or else you will have to pay 36 DKK for a 3 zone ticket for each person

Here is the location of the hotel (marked with yellow).

http://map.krak.dk/m/IkR2e

The travel time with a taxi is with 12 minutes just one minute shorter, but taking traffic into consideration i think its a longer trip.

The price of a taxi is around 200-250 DKK.

@ dsw39

A taxi is nice but your hotel is located just around the corner from the Kongens Nytorv metro station.

The travel time is 13 minutes with Metro line M2 and the Metro goes every 4 to 5 minutes depending on with time of the day you will arrive.

If you have the Copenhagen Card the metro ride is free or else you will have to pay 36 DKK for a 3 zone ticket for each person

Here is the location of the hotel (marked with yellow).

http://map.krak.dk/m/IkR2e

The travel time with a taxi is with 12 minutes just one minute shorter, but taking traffic into consideration i think its a longer trip.

The price of a taxi is around 200-250 DKK.

Thanks! We arrive at 6am.Should be an easy walk to the hotel. The savings should buy a couple of cocktails

Dave

I just posted this information about taxi prices in another thread, but the information is very useful for all of you.

You can count the precise price out

The taxameter begins at DKK 24 when hailed on the street and DKK 37 when you book over the phone. Plus roughly

• DKK 11,50 per km on weekdays between 07:00 - 16:00.
  • DKK 12,50 between 16:00 - 07:00 and all Saturday and Sunday.
  • DKK 15,80 Friday - Saturday betweem 23:00 - 07:00 and all national holidays.

some company adds 20 DKK to the price if they help you with the luggage.

The distance from the airport to the town hall square is between 8,4 and 9,7 km with the direct routes or 13,8 km if the taxi driver uses the freeway.

And from the airport to the freeport terminal it is 12,8 and 13,8 km´s or 18.7 km with the freeway.

So the point being ask the driver to avoid the freeway.

See on this map for youself

http://maps.google.dk/maps?f=d&sourc...7&ie=UTF8&z=12

Danish Viking,

I've been following this thread since the beginning and you are amazingly helpful to everyone:)

We are arrive pre-cruise, the day before. I know we won't have time to see too much.

We are 4 people with luggage, we are staying at Hotel Best Western City. Are we better off getting a taxi, or is transportation from the airport to the hotel easy.

Also, since we will only have time for the train to the hotel, If you think we should do the train) a canal ride, and Tivoli, does it pay for us to get the CPH card, or pay for everything separately?

If we should do the train, would you be so kind as to give me directions to do so.

Linda and family

As you can see on this map the hotel is located some 2-300 meters from Kongens Nytorv metro station

http://map.krak.dk/m/IkwJA

I just copy/pasted this text.

If you have the Copenhagen Card the metro ride is free or else you will have to pay 36 DKK for a 3 zone ticket for each person.

But if you purchase a 2 zone klippekort (10 trip stamping card) at 130 DKK the trip will then be 32,5 DKK (130/4=32,5) and you will still have 4 clips/stamp left to use in town.

4 persons need 12 zones (3 zones*4=12) and the 2 zone stamping card has 10 stamps/clips so thats the reason why you only need 6 stamps/clips.

To travel around downtown Copenhagen you will only need 2 zones and you can travel around for 1 hour on one stamp/clip.

The CPH card gives you free entrance to tivoli but that price is only 75 DKK (95 DKK in the summer) and the transportation to the hotel is 36 DKK but the card cost 229 DKK so you have to use transportation or other entrances for around 100 DKK to make the card useful.

Each single ticket cost´s 24 DKK

The card will give you a 20% discount on the canal boat tour but its only 20% of 60 DKK.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/media(9006,1030)/Flyer_10%2F11.pdf

What is the maximum dkk that can be secured from an atm machine/day in Copenhagen. I am considering paying for everything but food and lodging in local currency for our 2.5 day visit. I assume you have atm machines in the airport.

Danish Viking:

Re: Legoland (assume above post was for me)

We (on the HAL Prinsendam) arrive Copenhagen Friday, June 10 at 8am. Glad you made me look because getting the 8:50 train would be pushing it. Agree?

We depart the next day - Sat. at 1pm.

Husband will be 65. I am not quite there yet. It is just the two of us.

Danish Viking: Is there a train after the 8:40 from Central Station? Also one back into town in the early evening?

Thanks so much!

Jean

@ dsw39

I am not sure about this and my seach on several banks homepages gave no results but i think that it is around 5.000 or 10.000 DKK but i can look tomorrow when i get by my local bank.

@ sansterre

The departure that i posted from the central station was 09:50 so you have almost 2 hours to get from the ship to Østerport and purchase the ticket (if you go with the regular ticket) and take the S-train to the central station.

This should take no longer than 30 minutes.

On the way back you can use bus number 244 at 16:45 to be at the central station at 20:18 with a regular Intercity train

Or bus 244 at 17:25 that will get you bact to Copenhagen at 20:22 with the Intercity Lyn express train.

These departures gives you between 13 and 17 minutes to change from bus to train in Vejle.

@ dsw39

I am not sure about this and my seach on several banks homepages gave no results but i think that it is around 5.000 or 10.000 DKK but i can look tomorrow when i get by my local bank.

@ sansterre

The departure that i posted from the central station was 09:50 so you have almost 2 hours to get from the ship to Østerport and purchase the ticket (if you go with the regular ticket) and take the S-train to the central station.

On the way back you can use bus number 244 at 16:45 to be at the central station at 20:18 with a regular Intercity train

Or bus 244 at 17:25 that will get you bact to Copenhagen at 20:22 with the Intercity Lyn express train.

These departures gives you between 13 and 17 minutes to change from bus to train in Vejle.

Hi Thank you 5000ddk will work! I know the max per day in Euros is 250.

With entrance fees,taxi and canal ride we should be ok with 2000ddk. I can charge meals and the hotel is prepaid.

Dave

@ dsw39

@ sansterre

Thank you so much. Interesting that train takes 3+ hours each way...meaning we would only have 4 or 5 hours at or near the park. Do we need to get transportation from the train to the park or is the station at the park? I'm beginning to rethink this:confused:

@ sansterre

You need to get a bus from Vejle Station to Legoland in Billund (bus 244 and/or 907X)

Here is a a map showing the distance by road.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I3qxo

@ SSN

The Carneval is from 10-06-2011 - 12-06-2011 and all 3 days from 11 to midnight.

@ dsw39

I just checked with my bank Nordea and the maximum is 10.000 DKK, we are apparently super rich in Denmark :D

Thanks Danish Viking - I REALLY needed that! The map shows Legoland closer to Aarhus, so may have to wait for another cruise when we stop there (we spent a lovely day there two years ago - wonderful town!). I know you may be loosing patience with me by now, but I will ask further questions in hopes you will be kind enough to reply.

I noted that by the time we got to Legoland, we could be with out relatives near Varberg, Sweden. I am going to try to arrange that now. Are there trains that go to Malmo and north into the Ullared area of Sweden? I know there is a new bridge for cars - does it handle trains too? Otherwise, I believe we can take a feffy across to Sweden. Any suggestions?

@ sansterre

You need to get a bus from Vejle Station to Legoland in Billund (bus 244 and/or 907X)

Here is a a map showing the distance by road.

http://map.krak.dk/m/I3qxo

@ SSN

The Carneval is from 10-06-2011 - 12-06-2011 and all 3 days from 11 to midnight.

@ dsw39

I just checked with my bank Nordea and the maximum is 10.000 DKK, we are apparently super rich in Denmark :D

Thanks for checking with your bank! I will get what we need when we arrive.

Dave

@ sansterre

Well you don´t expect me to know the location of a little town on Billunds size in USA so its okay to ask questions.

But you are not going to be happy now:confused:

This trip will also take a long time.

The first direct train after your ships departure from Østerport station is at 09:24.

You will be in Falkenberg at 12:20 and then take the bus (line 556) from the bus station at 12:40 and that will get you to Ullared at 13:27

There is also a departure at 10:24 and you will then be in Falkenberg at 13:19 and at 13:27 there is a direct bus (line 555) to Ullared that will arrive at 14:00.

On the way home you can take a bus (line 555) from Ullared at 16:54 and at 17:26 you will be in Falkenberg in enough time to take the direct train back to Østerport where you will be at 20:35.

@ SSN

Thanks very much, Danish Viking. Too bad we will miss it. :( Oh well, another reason for me to come to Copenhagen again. :)

I am so glad you mentioned Falkenberg! I have a cousin who lives there, the one we are in closest contact with :-) She could get us to other relatives or have them come to Falkenberg.

This may actually work! I am very excited to share this with my husband and contact our Swedish relatives. I know the time there is not long, but just making contact again means a great deal. THANK YOU!!!

Two adults and two teenage girls, each with a suitcase that will fit in an airline overhead bin, plus a duffle bag that attaches to the suitcase handle. Can a cab handle this group. We plan on using the CPH Card from the airport to our hotel, but from 71 Nyhavn to the Freeport pier will require a cab (if it can handle us) or Cruise Services Transfer at $247 USD. PS. the CPH Card will expire the day before embarkation.

I am so glad you mentioned Falkenberg! I have a cousin who lives there, the one we are in closest contact with :-) She could get us to other relatives or have them come to Falkenberg.

This may actually work! I am very excited to share this with my husband and contact our Swedish relatives. I know the time there is not long, but just making contact again means a great deal. THANK YOU!!!

Danish Viking,

I checked out the rail fares last night and was able to find times and fares of 37 (probably Euros) round trip to Malmo. Could not locate Copenhagen to Falkenberg info.

Is that a different line/company, possibly going through Helisborg? DH suggests they meet us there, but since they are my relatives, I'd really like to get to Falkenberg, or some location in Sweden....even for just 4 or 5 hours. Plus I think the rail trip would be great fun....is there a rail bridge over the water, or tunnel, or does ferry :confused:

@ KerbyTex

If you order a stationwagon (Estate Car) it should be okay.

@ sansterre

The ferry between Helsingør and Helsingborg is actually a detour even though its located north of Copenhagen.

The train schedule i posted is going under and over the Öresund Fixed Link between copenhagen and Malmö and also the new City tunneln in Malmö.

The prices are here

I just choose a friday in april but you can change it to your prefered date.

http://www.sj.se/travel/booktravel/timetable.form

Archived