I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@ sansterre

As chrismo told you there is no need to change train at København H because all Öresund trains also depart from Østerport.

The train departs from Østerport at 09:24 or 10:24 and will depart from København H at 09:33 or 10:33.

The ticket will probably have to be validated (if its not printed with a date on) but this will only take a few seconds.

Mange tak. I thought both of you had told me that and I believe you. The information on Rail Europe tells me I have 10 minutes to change trains; I will disregard.

I am going to look into Norway day excursions and see if any of the ports have short rail trips that might be covered with the "rail pass". I haven't found any threads that are as informative as this one - it is just incredible how many questions you, and others, have answered for everyone.

If there aren't any other uses for the pass, then I will purchase the first class tickets from Rail Europe in a few weeks. My husband thinks we should just wait til we get to Copenhagen in case something goes awry between now and then.

@ Sheal

A single ticket is valid in 2 fare zones in 1 hour and you can use all modes of transportation (except intercity trains).

And you are indeed correct with the bus timetable.

Here is a terminal map so you can find the bus, but as you can see you will just have to turn right when you get outside the station and cross the street.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Kongens%20Nytorv.pdf

@ sansterre

It is indeed possible to purchase the ticket at Østerport station but then i would allow some time to stand in line (if any) at the ticket office.

My husband thinks we should just wait til we get to Copenhagen in case something goes awry between now and then.

sansterre,

raileurope will offer you an insurance option when you buy the tickets. It was $9 for a $145 first class ticket Stockholm to Copenhagen.

m

This is certainly a comprehensive thread - over 130 pages! I have to spend some time reading because I'll be arriving by cruise ship in May. Since I want to tour on my own, I understand the #26 bus is a good way to get to/from the ship to central Copenhagen. My first stop will be the Tivoli and I'll see what happens after that (most likely the modern art museum). The only question I have so far is how to purchase a ticket for the bus at the cruise pier stop - Is there a ticket machine? Does it only accept cash? If it accepts credit cards, will it accept a non-chip credit card? If it only accepts cash I'll have to arrange for some cash before arrival.

Thanks for sharing so much information about Copenhagen!

PS - One additional question - where can I purchase reasonably-priced wines in Copenhagen? Or is "reasonably-priced" anything an oxymoron in what is supposed to be an expensive city?

If you just want to buy one single fare, the bus driver will sell one, but you need cash, and preferably exact change, or at least no big notes. Ticket machines are only located at train stations, not at the pier. If you make several trips, a ten trip clip card is good value, almost half price, but is only available at train stations and selected stores. I don't know if they are available at the pier, maybe someone else can answer that one. Bus drivers do not sell them. Also, I am not sure if ticket machines accept foreign credit cards. They do accept cash, but only coins.

Reasonably priced wine is available at supermarkets. Actually wine is not very expensive - if bought in supermarkets. The central parts of Copenhagen does not have that many bigger supermarkets, but there are quite a few fsmaller discount supermarkets like "Netto" "Rema1000" and Fakta. The bigger supermarkets are Føtex and Kvickly and are placed a bit further out but still not far from city center.

X2000 are nice trains, i can add some pictures later if you want but i'm writing on my mobile phone so it would be tomorrow.

Does the X2000 trains go from Copenhagen to Falkenberg?

Now I want that train if it is available! :rolleyes:

We are trying to get High-Speed Rail (maximum of 120-150 mph) in Central Florida.

Is the X2000 high speed? How fast are we likely to travel on trains in Sweden and Denmark? We were on a very fast train in Spain a few years ago, but I understand China has it beat.

Both Spain and China uses Siemens Velaro (a developed version of the german ICE train) so they are the same and they can travel around 350 kmph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_Velaro

X2000 can travel around 210 kmph but are own by SJ so they do not drive between Copenhagen, Malmö and Gothenberg (the line Falkenberg is located on).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X2000

The line that you will use is however served by DSB First and they use the more modern Bombardier Contessa trains, better known as Øresundstog (Öresundstog in Sweden). These train will however only run by 180 kmph but the stations are located aprox. 10-15 minutes apart, so it will only maintain the top speed at a short time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresundtrain

Greetings.

We are a party of four with luggage staying at the Imperial hotel in Copenhagen. One member uses a motorized scooter which breaks down into pieces for storage. Are some airport taxi's vans? Thanks

quote Danish Viking:

"

The line that you will use is however served by DSB First and they use the more modern Bombardier Contessa trains, better known as Øresundstog (Öresundstog in Sweden). These train will however only run by 180 kmph but the stations are located aprox. 10-15 minutes apart, so it will only maintain the top speed at a short time"

That is pretty much the situation we have here. I think I read that SJ are electric trains. Here in Florida, Phase 1 proposed rail is from Tampa to Orlando, about 50 miles, with 3 stops in between. The train would run down the median of the expressway but rarely get to high speed (120-150 mph). There is also the possibility of express trains with no stops which would stay at high speed most of the trip.

Phase 2 would be from Orlando to Miami, 3 times the distance with fewer stops along the way.

The High Speed Rail in Florida is controversial and political at this time but I am a big proponent. My DH and many others, on the other hand, think it is a waste of taxpayer money.

Mange tak for the train info Danish Viking.

@ jwits

All taxi company´s has mini busses in their fleets, if they are not ready at the airport they will call one to get you.

@ sansterre

Wasn´t the Florida High speed Rail dropped some weeks ago, luckily the Californian networks seems to be on schedule.

High Speed Rail is way more greener than flying and it has been proved that HSR is a better methood of traveling when the distance is under 3 hours.

DV:

According to the paper this morning, it doesn't look good for us in Central Florida. Federal Government gave Florida the funding (2.4 Billion Dollars) and our Governor refused it!!! The State legislature (who had approved it last year) tried to take the Governor to court but that didn't work. The cities tried to coordinate efforts to save the deal and get the federal $$$ but today I'm reading that those efforts failed because the Gov. would have to approve the rail since it will run in the median of a State Highway....and apparently he will not :-(

Governor Scott was just elected in November and seems to be usurping more power than anyone ever imagined. In actuality, this is political: by refusing the transportation dollars, his thought is our deficit will go down. This is not true: those dollars will now go to New York, or possibly California (San Francisco to Los Angeles) as you mentioned. President Obama wants to jump start the economy, and Florida was first choice because it is a "shovel ready" project here. No need to purchase property - even Orlando airport was design for future high speed rail - no time lag AT ALL. Our President is in agreement with you - HSR is excellent for under 3 hour travel - and I agree as well.

I didn't mean to turn this into a political thread, but we in USA do need to finally get some HSR. Everyone talks about their rail travel experiences in Europe, China, etc.

I haven't posted on this thread before but I'm sure I can get an answer to my question. We will be in Aarhus and Copenhagen in May. A person on our CC thread has said that, in Denmark, unless we have a credit card with the new chip requiring a PIN number for transactions, restaurants and stores do not accept it. Is this widely practiced? I have 3 credit cards from major banks in the U.S. and none have this chip.

Can anyone tell me that this is definitely true??

What is your opinion of Wakeup Copenhagen versus Stay? We need a 2-3 night stay in Copenhagen prior to our NCL Sun cruise on June 4. Apparently, there is a big medical convention in town so available hotels are slim. We also need a triple room as we are traveling with a child. Thought about the Cabin Express but the idea of stay in a tiny room with three bunks along with a tiny bath doesn't really appeal to me before getting on a cruise and staying in a tiny, inside cabin.

Thanks!

We are staying at the Marriott in Copenhagen in May, our flight out is at

8:40am on a Saturday. Can someone tell me what the time schedule is for the train to the airport, the cost/pp and how long it takes? Thank you.

Lynn

To Danish Viking and all others who have so selflessly shared their knowledge with so many total strangers about to descend upon your unsuspecting homeland, a heartfelt “thank you!” :) I have read through the 133 pages of postings and I feel like I’m knowledgeable and ready to enjoy my 3 day stay following our Norwegian Sun trans-Atlantic crossing arriving on May 8th. We’ve ordered our Copenhagen Cards, we have a plan, and we will hope for good weather and remain flexible.

We enjoy staying in apartments rather then hotels, and have found what looks to be a nice place through airbnb.com. We’ll be just off the Peblinge So, a couple of blocks from Orsteds Parken and about 6 blocks from Norreport Station. Seems like a good location for exploring the city and beyond.

We are really looking forward to our stay!

Archived