I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Dear Danish Viking.

Would you recommend the train or metro in traveling from the airport to central station? We will purchase a Copenhagen Card so we have either option.

Also, we will be going to Tivoli in the evening and have heard the Nimb Bar might be a great place to have a drink and scout out the hotel. If we have been touring Copenhagen all day, will we be suitably dressed for entrance into the Nimb or is it cocktail dress/suit kind of place? Just don't want to embarrass ourselves.

By the way, I think we will be there when you are going to a concert. Should we look for someone with a Viking helmet? ;-)

Thanks for any help you might provide!

@ GJH123

I think that you are welcome at Nimb as long as you don´t bring your white sneakers and Bermuda shorts :D

Is it june 10th that you are going, im a big fan of Teitur so i will def. be there.

Infernal is performing this friday so if anyone else in Tivoli that day they will maybe bump into me.

@ shoppern

You just ask for anything else if there is a question that pops up.

So it's no Nikes at the Nimb. It looks like after a cologne bath, we're off to the hotel then.

Thanks so much for your help!

It looks like the train station is nearest the airport entrance. Is that the easiest way to get to Central Station?

Dear Danish Viking: We will be arriving on Friday, June 24th in pm and cruising out on Sunday, June 26th. Can you tell me if this itinerary can be done. If so, how to travel to each site, in what order. If we should purchase Copenhagan card or some other transportation type. I appreciate your help, as really confused about this. See how well you have helped all the others. This is my first time writing to you. We leave in a month. Staying at the Marriott. Stroget, Amalienborg, Danish Resistance museum, Great Synagogue, Nyhaven, Tivoli, Christiana. If we go to Tivoli at night then back to Marriott-how to do that? Would hop-on-hop-off combo take us back to hotel? Thanks so much, Elaine

@ boeckli

Sorry it was late when posted it.

I was trying to say that the Øresund trains from the airport has a low floor carriage in the middle of the trainset, each trainset consist of 3 carriages.

So acces to the train should not be a problem.

But if you use the metro then you will have to use 2 escalator/elevators to get from the metro platform to the S-train/train platforms.

First from the metro platform to the pedestrian tunnel and then from the pedestrian tunnel and up to the other platforms.

Thanks for the clarification and the good news about the low floor carriage - we will look out for that.

You sure provide very valuable information for all us visitors to Copenhagen - much appreciated. :)

Hello Danish Viking,

First, a big thank you for all the help you've have given all of us on this board.

We are in the same position as Elaine (a couple of posts back).

We are staying at the Marriott for 2 nights, arriving from the airport by train to the Central Train station and then a short walk to the hotel. If I understand correctly, it is a short walk from the Hotel to Tivoli should we want to go at night.

We had thought for the next day, of taking the HOHO bus from the Town Hall - to get us around to see Amalienborg Palace, the Little Mermaid, Nyhavn and other sites. At Nyhavn we would stay awhile for lunch, then take the canal tour of 1 hr, then back on the HOHO bus to complete the tour. Is this feasible?

What is the distance from the Marriott to Nyhavn for example, 30 minutes or longer? Lastly, what is the distance from the Hotel to the Town Hall?

Thank you again,

Pat

Danish Viking. You are so kind to post such knowledgeable information about your beautiful city.

We arrive in June 9th for 4 fun days in Copenhagen before boarding our cruise ship. We are staying at the Marriott which we love.

My husband uses Non-Alcohol Mouth Rinse - very common here in the USA. Crest and several other companies make this Non-Alcohol rinse.

He wants to bring several bottles in his luggage which I am trying to discourage him from doing. As we will be gone 3.5 weeks total, I advised him to not bring any and just buy it in Copenhagen. Do your stores carry such an item?

If so, where might I purchase - Pharmacy or Supermarket? And, where we find pharmacies/supermarkets.

Many thanks for your help.

Snuffie

@ GJH123

Yes the train platforms are closer to the check in that the metro station.

@ oceanbabe

The hop-on-hop-off busses depart from the city hall square aprox. 1 km from the Marriott.

http://map.krak.dk/m/amQqY

You can group the sights of in 3 group.

In central copenhagen:

Nyhavn, Strøget, Tivoli and Amalienborg, Great Synagogue (possible canal tour)

Christianshavn:

Christania (possible Our Saviours church)

Østerport area:

Resistance Museum (Little Mermaid, Kastellet Fortress)

The 72 hour Copenhagen Card will probably be the best option if you use all 3 days in town.

@ Gran2five

It is a easy walk from the central station (København H) to the Marriott and now 2 large constructions has just recently finished (Nykredit and SEB Bank HQ) so access should not be a problem.

http://map.krak.dk/m/amQoD

The Schedule looks okay but i would start no later than 10:00 to get the most out of the day.

Distance from Marriott to the city hall square.

http://map.krak.dk/m/amQqY

You have to walk around 20 minutes to get from Marriott to Nyhavn.

http://map.krak.dk/m/amQkF

@ Snuffie

I know that Colgate makes these mouth rinse

Steno Apotek is located next to the central station.

http://map.krak.dk/m/amqQM

4 of us will be arriving in Copenhagen on the Eurodam on June 29, at the Freeport dock. Does the HoHo bus come anywhere near Freeport, or do we have to take a taxi in to the starting point? Any idea if taxis will take all of us in one taxi, or will we have to split up? What would the price of a taxi be and how long should it take to get to city centre? Sorry if these questions have already been answered but I haven't had the stamina to wade through all 146 pages yet!

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

we will be coming Aug. 28th staying at the Wakeup Copenhagen Hotel. Going on our cruise August 31st. What is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport and from the hotel to the seaport. any info would help. Also should we by the pass to go on buses, trains and hop on hop off while we are there or buy it on the internet now. Will they take credit cards.

The Copenhagen Card does not cover the ho/ho busses but you get a 10% discount with the Open Top Tours of Copenhagen.

The most easy way is to take the train to the central station and walk or take the taxi to Wakeup.

Bus number 11A to the Tivoli hotel (wakeup is part of this complex) only goes after 11:00 un sundays and usually the flighs from Newark arrives in the morning so you will be at the central station way before the bus runs.

The walking route

http://map.krak.dk/m/amHiT

But to help you with the transportation to the "seaport" i need some more info.

At the Freeport terminal we got the Emerald Princess and Costa Magica.

Aidasol is at Langelinie pier.

Insignia is docked at Nordre Toldbod.

The Copenhagen Card does not cover the ho/ho busses but you get a 10% discount with the Open Top Tours of Copenhagen.

The most easy way is to take the train to the central station and walk or take the taxi to Wakeup.

Bus number 11A to the Tivoli hotel (wakeup is part of this complex) only goes after 11:00 un sundays and usually the flighs from Newark arrives in the morning so you will be at the central station way before the bus runs.

The walking route

http://map.krak.dk/m/amHiT

But to help you with the transportation to the "seaport" i need some more info.

At the Freeport terminal we got the Emerald Princess and Costa Magica.

Aidasol is at Langelinie pier.

Insignia is docked at Nordre Toldbod.

Is it safe to walk the area from Central Station to Wakeup late at night? We would be arriving around 10-11 p.m. with luggage in tow.

I forgot about bus number 30 towards Bella Center, it stops at the main street just next to the hotels at the bus stop called godsbanegården.

The 2 last departures from the central station is 23:57 and 00:17 and most likely also every 20th minute before that time.

I see that you suggested not to walk around the area of Central Station at night.

We will be arriving at the airport at 5:45 pm. Planned to take the train and walk to the Mayfair.

Of course we will have luggage.

At what time of night does it become unwise to walk from the station to our hotel?

Again....your help and advice is immeasurable!!

Joy

4 of us will be arriving in Copenhagen on the Eurodam on June 29, at the Freeport dock. Does the HoHo bus come anywhere near Freeport, or do we have to take a taxi in to the starting point? Any idea if taxis will take all of us in one taxi, or will we have to split up? What would the price of a taxi be and how long should it take to get to city centre? Sorry if these questions have already been answered but I haven't had the stamina to wade through all 146 pages yet!

We docked at Freeport with the Sun & the Ho-Ho were there waiting.

Make the time to readd all the pages, but keep in mind that the early posts may be "dated".

For our 3 day after cruise stay in Copenhagen, we satyed at the Clairon, 2 blocks from Tivioli, great location. Huge breakfast plus a Hot dinner buffett was in the room price. ( monster of a savings, the city is $$$ ) The Ice Bar is attached to hotel.

There is also a public city bus, much less expensive than taxi or Hoho bus, that comes right to the pier. It will be operating to the pier on Wed. June 29. Look for the bus stop sign along the curb. It takes about 10 min. to city center by public bus and they operate frequently. Copenhagen is small and compact; on foot is the best way to see the city. Distances are not far; it is easily walkable. Pick up a free city map at the pier's visitors' center. Personally, I would not choose the Hoho bus. I always use the city bus. On Sundays (for Sat. you will have to check schedule) it does not operate to the pier.

Most taxi's take 4 passengers...with luggage it varies.

Archived