I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Yes Fields shopping center is located just on the other side of the Motorway/train tracks from the hotel.

http://fields.dk/information/uk

The best option would be to take the Øresund train (towards Nivå or Helsingør) and get of at either København H (central station) or Østerport and take a northbound S-train (Hillerød, Holte, Klampenborg or Farum) to Nordhavn station.

A single train ticket cost 24 DKK and the travel time takes around 40 minutes including the walking on both ends of the journey.

If you travel on a monday to a friday you can use bus number 26 from Østerport.

You can take a taxi from Østerport if you want to save some money on the taxi bill that will otherwise be around 300 DKK from the Crowne Plaza.

It is tempting to take the Metro to Nørreport and change train there but it is a huge construction site in the next 2-3 years so that is the reason why i excluded this option.

The best option would be to take the Øresund train (towards Nivå or Helsingør) and get of at either København H (central station) or Østerport and take a northbound S-train (Hillerød, Holte, Klampenborg or Farum) to Nordhavn station.

I thought there is a train option that does not require a connection... i will recheck the train site... can you comment on accessibility e.g. escalators elevators... when currying luggage... i have had a nightmare experience in London with train connections climbing stairs and getting room for my luggage on the train during evening rush hour... it would be nice to know if the danish trains and connections are more "luggage friendly" otherwise $50-55USD may not be that bad?

--e

After standing with luggage on a crowded train in DC, I can understand your concern. Denmark was a much different experience! We transferred from the S-tog to bus 26 (at Oesterport), then walked from Freeport to Nordhavn after disembarkation. There were escalators and elevators at every stop. At one stop (Oesterport, maybe?), the elevator was tucked in behind and to the left of the escalator.

The hint for the S-tog is to approach the door with the bicycle on it ... They have a lot of open space with drop-down seats ... We found it easier to use those carriages.

For the busses, there are a few stairs but not too unwieldy. It is also possible to catch bus 26 at the Central Station, but it seems like that was a 45-minute bus ride.

At the airport I purchased a copenhagen card then took train 2 to the copenhagen train staion then walked the mile or so to the Savoy Hotel. But my luggage was light. Other people on our cruise took more luggage and did the same.

At Copenhagen on Sept 20, 2011 there was a bike race or something. Anyway the streets were diverted and as they say in Maine (you can't get there from here). What cut our costs down, we had 3 people sharing a cab, the price was pre arranged, the driver mistakingly took us to the airport. When we told him the pier he shut off his meter and had a heck of a time getting to the pier. He got there by going from Boston to NYC via Chicago.

We are going on a cruise next May, with the embarkation port as Copenhagen. We will arrive in Copenhagen 4 days prior to the cruise so we can have a few days to explore the city.

I would like some assistance with a hotel near Central Station, that is not too overpriced. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

If you want to write me directly, my email is marving99@yahoo.com

Thanks

A year ago, we stayed for 3 days prior to our cruise at the SAS Radisson, just kitty corner from Tivoli ($180 per night for 4 of us). It was a perfect location for us. We were able to board the train downstairs at the airport and get off at Central. It was about a block and a half walk to the hotel. From there, everything was readily available. We had our two teenagers, 15 & 17, with us. We walked the Stroget, took the canal tour, visited Tivoli, used the HOHO bus to get to Amalienburg and Rosenborg and get an overview of the city, visited the church near Christiania where you climb up the steeple from the outside (it is a beautiful church). We chose to take a brief glance in the entrance of Christiania but not wander through because we had heard it wasn't a safe place for tourists. Don't miss the fabulous Danish pastries. That was what we had for breakfast every morning. There are some really good pastry shops along the Stroget where we picked them up on our way back to our hotel each evening. We absolutely loved Copenhagen!

The cruise list for next year is updated this november and next year we can look forward to 379 arrivals (368 this year) including 6 christmas cruises (2 this year).

It equals 7 ships more in the summer season and 4 more ships in the christmas season.

The most interesting ships in the summer season are Star Flyer and Superfast VI!!!!!!!!

The 6 Christmas ships are Black Watch, Oriana, Saga Ruby, Queen Victoria, Balmoral and Oceana.

The entire list are here

http://www.cmport.com/Ships%20in%20Port/Cruise%20Ships/download.aspx

Hi...we will be arriving on the June 20, 2012 on the Celebrity Eclipse, no port listed yet

We will be there from 8 am to 11 pm approx sail at 11:59 pm

My DH and I would like to see the following sites

Tivoli probably closer to evening?

Rosenburg Castle (where the crown jewels are)

Amalienborg Palace (where the Queen & her family reside)

Carlsburg Brewery tour

Canal Tour

The little Mermaid statue

I could be missing something so if I am please include for us to see...thanks

Could you please list the sequence you would tackle these sites in and how to get from one to another? Do you think these are all possible in one day? That would be wonderful if you can assist us. Thank you so much

I tried to do a search for this question, but it didn't work. Is there a shipping office (UPS, Fedex, etc.) in Copenhagen where we can ship home our purchases? Is is cost prohibitive? We will be tight with packing and I don't want to cut back on my shopping too much;)

According to the cruise list i posted just before your post says that the Eclipse will dock in Langelinie Pier from 08:00 to 01:00 so you do have 17 hours in port.

First i would start with the little mermaid statue at the end of Langelinie pier.

Then walk through Kastellet fortress

Then through the park Østre Anlæg

Maybe a look at the botanical garden

Then Rosenborg Castle with the crown jewels

Then the Marple Church

Then Amalienborg Palace the the Queens live

Next up is Nyhavn with the canal boat tours.

Here is a link with the route

http://map.krak.dk/m/aehdE

It is a very good idea to take Tivoli in the evening so know we have to reach Carlsbergs visitors center.

You are now at Kongens Nytorv and you have 2 main choices.

1) Take bus number 26 towards Ålholm Plads and walk some 200 meters from the bus stop at Kammasvej to Carlsberg.

2) take a nice stroll from along Strøget pedestrian/Shopping street to the other end at the Town Hall square Where you also can catch the same bus.

The very same bus will take back to Town Hall Square/Tivoli.

When you are finished in Tivoli You can either take bus number 26 back to Langelinie pier Direction Langelinie (the cruise ships) or if it is late Indiakaj.

But do not use the one heading for Færgehavn Nord because the bus line splits up after Østerport Station.

Or you can take any train heading north to Østerport Station (S-train, Regional trains, Øresund Train and some Intercity trains) and walk to Langelinie or take bus 26 from there.

@ dalgirl

Fedex has a office located out at the airport at Kystvejen 16B, 2770 Kastrup with drop off from 09:00 to 18:00 on mondays to fridays, telephone number is +45 70 23 33 32

UPS has a office way out west in Glostrup at Naverland 7-9 2600 Glostrup. telephone number is +45 80 30 22 22.

The danish post company called Post Danmark do also send packages to North America and they have offices at Købmagergade and at the central station and other places in Copenhagen

http://www.postdanmark.dk/iis-findos2/default.aspx?searchtype=1%2C5&overskrift=Posthus%2Fpostbutik&postnr=1570&city=K%F8benhavns+Hovedbaneg%E5rd&pstrAction=Find

@ dalgirl

Fedex has a office located out at the airport at Kystvejen 16B, 2770 Kastrup with drop off from 09:00 to 18:00 on mondays to fridays, telephone number is +45 70 23 33 32

UPS has a office way out west in Glostrup at Naverland 7-9 2600 Glostrup. telephone number is +45 80 30 22 22.

The danish post company called Post Danmark do also send packages to North America and they have offices at Købmagergade and at the central station and other places in Copenhagen

http://www.postdanmark.dk/iis-findos2/default.aspx?searchtype=1%2C5&overskrift=Posthus%2Fpostbutik&postnr=1570&city=K%F8benhavns+Hovedbaneg%E5rd&pstrAction=Find

Thanks so much for the information. This makes packing easier.

Sunday night's episode of the US show Amazing Race featured Copenhagen this week (Sunday night).

My husband and I enjoyed watching. We recognized many sights .. The church with the spiral staircase (can't remember the name), Frederickborg Slot, Frilandsmuseet, Nyhavn, ... even Rosenborg Castle (which one team visited by mistake) .... the familiar street signs and other sight!

• 4 weeks later...
According to the cruise list i posted just before your post says that the Eclipse will dock in Langelinie Pier from 08:00 to 01:00 so you do have 17 hours in port.

First i would start with the little mermaid statue at the end of Langelinie pier.

Then walk through Kastellet fortress

Then through the park Østre Anlæg

Maybe a look at the botanical garden

Then Rosenborg Castle with the crown jewels

Then the Marple Church

Then Amalienborg Palace the the Queens live

Next up is Nyhavn with the canal boat tours.

Here is a link with the route

http://map.krak.dk/m/aehdE

It is a very good idea to take Tivoli in the evening so know we have to reach Carlsbergs visitors center.

You are now at Kongens Nytorv and you have 2 main choices.

1) Take bus number 26 towards Ålholm Plads and walk some 200 meters from the bus stop at Kammasvej to Carlsberg.

2) take a nice stroll from along Strøget pedestrian/Shopping street to the other end at the Town Hall square Where you also can catch the same bus.

The very same bus will take back to Town Hall Square/Tivoli.

When you are finished in Tivoli You can either take bus number 26 back to Langelinie pier Direction Langelinie (the cruise ships) or if it is late Indiakaj.

But do not use the one heading for Færgehavn Nord because the bus line splits up after Østerport Station.

Or you can take any train heading north to Østerport Station (S-train, Regional trains, Øresund Train and some Intercity trains) and walk to Langelinie or take bus 26 from there.

We will be in Copenhagen in Aug. I was wondering how many KM. this route would be? Is it feasible to walk this route round trip back to the dock?

Thank you for all the great information you have posted here.

Archived