I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

There are two ladies in our group who have shopping in mind! Are there any malls or clothing stores located close to the city center?

Copenhagen has the Stroget, about a 5 block section of the city, that is sort of a pedestrian shopping mall. There is no traffic and the route is lined with major department stores, really high scale shops and also your average everyday stores. Something you should not miss.

We did a walking tour of Copenhagen and this was part of the route from Nyhavn to Town Hall square, the main square in Copenhagen. Found some really good buys here on assorted things.

Unless you have lot's of time there, you really don't want to get too involved on the Stroget as it will take valuable time away from other activities. If you are there for a few days, then, by all mean, let your wife run free, and just gulp when you get the bill.:D:D:D:D:D

The Stroget

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster305.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster307.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster303.jpg

And yours truly

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster306-1.jpg

Cheers

Len

Thanks for all of the information you have been providing. Especially good to know about taking cash rather than credit cards, and the warning about the pickpockets. We will be coming into Copenhagen the day before our May 2012 cruise. Have been researching hotels but thought you may be able to give some advice. Main ones we had looked at were Copenhagen Star, Grand, the Square and Absalon City. Want to make sure we are in a good area, and someplace we can walk easily to at least some of the areas of interest. Are any of these close and accessible by subway or other mode of transportation from airport.

Also have noticed there is an Ice Bar there. Thought that might be fun, do you know anything about that.

@ wheatley

I would guess around 5-6 kilometres excluding walking around the palaces and museums.

But the canal tour will give you a 1 hour break where your legs can relax.

At the end of your tour you can take the train back or walk around 3 kilometres back to Langelinie pier but remember that we have 3 piers and this tour starts at Langelinie pier.

@ flintg

The shops have a formular that you have to fill out and then you will take back to the airport and get your refund.

@ flintg

The shops have a formular that you have to fill out and then you will take back to the airport and get your refund.

I will not be going back to the airport. We are cruising to NYC.

Is there any other place to get the refund?

Thanks,

HI! I've been reading through this thread from page 1 and appreciate all of the advice!

One thing I have not come across is how to book a quad hotel room. We are arriving in CPH 1 day before our cruise and want to find a hotel located near tivoli (from what I gather that makes the transportation easiest) or city hall that has 2 double beds to accommodate 4 adults. Any ideas or recommendations? We're hoping to avoid paying over $500/night. Thanks in advance! :o

HI! I've been reading through this thread from page 1 and appreciate all of the advice!

One thing I have not come across is how to book a quad hotel room. We are arriving in CPH 1 day before our cruise and want to find a hotel located near tivoli (from what I gather that makes the transportation easiest) or city hall that has 2 double beds to accommodate 4 adults. Any ideas or recommendations? We're hoping to avoid paying over $500/night. Thanks in advance! :o

Have you thought about booking 2 rooms on Name Your Own Price on Priceline. The Marriott (which historically has been the only 4 star in the main Copenhagen area on Priceline) is often booked with a fairly low bid. In our case for $104 (plus tax) for a Saturday night in June.

According to the cruise list i posted just before your post says that the Eclipse will dock in Langelinie Pier from 08:00 to 01:00 so you do have 17 hours in port.

I had a little problem deciphering the cruise list. I'll be on Queen Victoria, which arrives in Copenhagen on July 3. As far as I can tell, the dock is C190; is this near the Little Mermaid statue, or is it another pier?

Thanks.

C190 is Langelinie pier that is located just north of the Little Mermaid.

If anyone is docked at C177 Nordre Toldbod then it is located just south of the statue.

Thank you very much. That's where we docked the last time we cruised into Copenhagen. Now I know where we'll be, and how to get around.

Happy New Year,

We are taking the NCL Sun on September 7, 2012. We will arrive in Copenhagen 2 days early and have two days after the cruise to tour as well.

1. What should we see and/or do while there? A short list of places to see I have begun to compile includes: Nyhavn, The Little Mermaid, Tivoli, Rosenborg Slot, Indre By, Rundetårn. Do you have any additions or deletions? I guess I'm looking for "must see" venues. And any tips on how to best see them. We like historic places, scenic views and anything that gives us a flavor for the city.

2. We are staying at the Airport Hilton. How do we best get from there to the cruise pier?

3. Since we have US style credit cards (no chip) how do we best (for us) pay for anything in Copenhagen?

I must confess that I only read the first two pages of this thread and the last two as well. So if the answers to my questions are embedded within this thread please let me know and I'll go back and read the whole thread. I promise! (New Year's Resolution)

In any case, many thanks for any tips you can share with us.

Aloha,

Patric

Question for CruisinEurope and/or anyone else who knows:

If you were traveling from Paris to Copenhagen, how would you do it?

Likewise, how would you travel from Cph to Berlin?

We are looking to add 2-3 days pre-cruise in Paris and another couple of days post-cruise in Berlin. We are open to planes, trains, or automobiles.

Thanks so much.

Have you thought about booking 2 rooms on Name Your Own Price on Priceline. The Marriott (which historically has been the only 4 star in the main Copenhagen area on Priceline) is often booked with a fairly low bid. In our case for $104 (plus tax) for a Saturday night in June.

Wow! $104/night? That's fantastic! We'd be amenable to getting 2 rooms for that kind of rate. Not sure we can get that kind of rate. Looks like they're in the $3xx range/night, but we'll see as it gets closer.

Wow! $104/night? That's fantastic! We'd be amenable to getting 2 rooms for that kind of rate. Not sure we can get that kind of rate. Looks like they're in the $3xx range/night, but we'll see as it gets closer.

We did it through name your own price on priceline. Historically the Marriott has been the only 4 star in the main Copenhagen zone for name your own prices, but of course that can change. Good Luck

I need to get from the airport to the Hotel Bethel (Nyhavn) and want to double check my information.

It looks like I can met the M2 for 30K ($5.25US) to the Kongens Nytorv stop and then walk 10-15 minutes to the Hotel Bethel. My DH and I are able to walk and handle our own luggage.

Do you purchase the metro tickets on the platform? Do you validate them or are they “one trip” tickets?

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

@ Darthdaddy

Paris:

You can either take 2 trains or take a plane directly to Copenhagen

Thalys train to Cologne at 17:58 from Gare Du Nord to meet a connecting night train to Copenhagen departing at 22:28 and arriving in Copenhagen at 10:07 the next day.

Easyjet, SAS, Air France, Alitalia (Air France) flies directly from CDG and Norwegian from ORY and takes around 2 hours.

Berlin

There is one directly train between Copenhagen and Berlin at 07:45 and takes 6 hours and 41 minutes.

There are also departures from 09:45, 11:45 and 15:45 and sometimes 13:45 and 17:45.

These departures are most of the time cheaper but does include a change of train in Hamburg HBF and they takes between 6:48 and 6:58

SAS, Lufthansa, Norwegian, Air Berlin, Cimber Sterling and Easyjet goes directly between Copenhagen and Berlin in aprox 1 hour.

@ Coolcruise02

The trip from the airport are 3 zones and you can buy one single ticket for 36 DKK or buy a clip card (discount card) of you are planning on using public transportation more than once.

You can buy a 2 zone clip (140 DKK) with ten 2 zone clips, if you are travelling with one other person you have now used 3 clips (3*2 zones = 6 zones) and can now travel 7 times in Copenhagen because one single trip in central copenhagen are 2 zones.

@ FFMongoose

1) Amalienborg and Copenhagen Zoo should be added onto the list.

2) I would take the train (not the metro) towards Nivå or Helsingør/Elsinore and get of at Østerport station.

From here you could take a taxi or take a S-train further north to Nordhavn where you can walk to the freeport terminal.

3) Most shops in Indre By (downtown) will most likely accept the card but take a 1-2% surcharge but there are alot of ATMS along Strøget shopping street.

@

@ Coolcruise02

The trip from the airport are 3 zones and you can buy one single ticket for 36 DKK or buy a clip card (discount card) of you are planning on using public transportation more than once.

So, if I want a single ticket do I get it at a ticket window or kiosk?

Do I need Danish Kroner or can I use a credit card?

Do I validate it on the platform or on the train?

Thanks!

Archived