I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

I'm really confused what hotel to stay in pre-cruise, we will arrive late evening, so no time for much sightseeing really.

I liked the reviews of the Crowne Plaza by the aiport but not sure that's very convenient to get to the port the next day.

What are good hotels to possibly walk up to the mermaid and also be close to the port.

Are people generally taking taxis to the port or public transport?

I think that more people are taking a taxi or cruise shuttle but its way cheaper to use public transportation.

From the Crowne Plaze its very easy to get to the pier, i assuming that your ship is docked at the freeport terminal.

Then just take the train from Ørestad station towards Nivå or Helsingør and get off at Østerport station.

Now you got up to 3 options depending on what day your ship is departing.

1) take a northbound S-train and get of at Nordhavn station where you can walk in 10 minutes time.

2) take a taxi because its way cheaper than taking all the way from the hotel.

3) If your ship is departing on a regular weekday (no weekends or public holidays) you can take bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord at get of at the freeport terminal.

Hotels that are located closer to the port and the little mermaid are Quality Hotel Østerport, Charlottehaven and Adina.

But i would suggest hotels closer to Nyhavn, Amalienborg and the other tourist sights that are located in that area.

Here i can recommend Neptun, Scandic Front, Admiral Hotel, Bethel and a few others.

Thank you so much, I did look at the Adina Hotel as well...

I'm actually not 100% sure where the ship departs from, we haven't cimmited to booking yet but it's a Royal Caribbean ship if that's any help, leaving on a Saturday.

We want to stay as close to £100 per night as possible as the whole trip is already so very expensive, the Neptun and Adina are within budget, so I'm happy with them and they both include breakfast, which is obviously very convenient

Look at the port authoritys website for pier location

Pier numbers in the 240-259 range are at the freeport terminal and in the 190-199 range is the Langelinie pier.

http://www.cmport.com/Ships%20in%20Port/Cruise%20Ships/Season%202009.aspx

Danish Viking is so helpful! I used this site to find out where my ship will dock (Langelinie, C190). However, I just received the cruise line's info on docking location, and it states Freeport, so I'm now a bit confused. I DID read somewhere that generally Freeport is used for ships that are turning over passengers (which is the case for me - start the cruise in Copenhagen). SO - I don't know which to believe (port site or Oceania) but I'm planning to do a little more snooping around, and planning for both possible docking locations. The dock location, assigned by the port, can change at the last minute ANYWAY, so it's best to be prepared. Then again, they're both fairly much in the same location, so it's not a huge deal. At Freeport, you can walk 15 minutes and be at the Norreport S-tog station; for Langelinie, you can walk 15 minutes and be at the Mermaid or Kastellet. I believe the port site Danish Viking gave you has a small section on how to get from each dock location to the center of the city (walk to Norreport for Freeport; forget how to do it for Langelinie). If you're cabbing it to the city or airport, I suppose there's not much difference in price between the two locations, although Freeport is a LITTLE farther to the airport.

Any way, I just wanted to alert you that there is a possibility that docking where your cruise line says you'll dock, or docking where the port says you'll dock, may not be the correct!

By the way, the site doesn't work correctly (and there's a message to that effect) so it's a bit hard to navigate. However, if you pull up the "Cruise Ships" section, find a calendar, and enter the date your ship will be in town, that should spare you some searching.

BTW is it Marina that your going to sail with because i can see that it docks 2 times at the Freeport Terminal and 2 times at Langelinie Pier.

Or maybe Nautica because it docks both at Langelinie Pier (4 times), Freeport Terminal and Nordre Toldbod.

Oh, you're right - thanks for the correction regarding Nordhavn! My ship is the Marina, August 11. I'll check the port site later, and if there's still a discrepancy, maybe I'll just call the port if my cell phone company doesn't charge too much for a call to Europe!

That's interesting about Nautica. But she is a smaller ship (and probably on a different itinerary, if that matters) so she and the other smaller Oceania ships don't always dock at the same place that the larger Marina does, so I'm not surprised.

To take the southbound S train

Don't know if you were starting to ask how to do it or tell me how to do it, but in either case:

I went on reisenplannen and figured out how to do it: Enter Sandkaj as your "From" location, if that is where your cruise ship says you will dock. I entered Sandkaj, which is where Oceania says we'll dock. It is in Frihavn, although as I said above, I'm not so sure that's where we will actually dock!! In any case, then I put in a destination that I wanted to go to (I think I used Kongens Nytorv, but I forget.) It showed me that I need to walk up to where I can cross over the train tracks, come back down on the other side, find the Nordhavn S station (elevated trains, picture shows red train; this is a commuter railroad rather than a metro underground train), go a few stops to Kongens Nytorv train stop, etc. I think I can manage that without too much trouble! I also printed out the details on the route, map views, etc. to help me, as I am a bit directionally-challenged and need very specific info!

Look at the port authoritys website for pier location

Pier numbers in the 240-259 range are at the freeport terminal and in the 190-199 range is the Langelinie pier.

http://www.cmport.com/Ships%20in%20Port/Cruise%20Ships/Season%202009.aspx

Thank you, I found out that we will be at C245, so it's the Frihavn/Freeport terminal :)

@ pappy3393

I believe that you are asking for direction from the freeport terminal to Nordhavn station and here it is.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Orient+Plads+2100,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=nordhavn+station&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.708291,12.592435&spn=0.008414,0.019205&sll=55.70811,12.594967&sspn=0.008414,0.019205&geocode=FQsVUgMdiC_AACn32cx761JSRjGOQj4sdv2NPA%3BFRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw&oq=Orient+2100,+K%C3%B8benhavn&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=16

@ roothy123

In order to get from the freeport terminal to Kongens Nytorv you have to take any southbound S-train (direction: Hundige, Solrød Strand, Køge (my hometown btw.) Høje Taastrup, Ballerup and Frederikssund) to Nørreport where you change to the Metro and takes line M1 and M2 towards Vestamager and Lufthaven andf get off one stop later at Kongens Nytorv.

@ crewzlover

Here is a list of free entrances or attractions with reduced entrance so you can do your own calculation.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.dk/book-dit-ophold/copenhagen-card

@ JustAnOrdinaryGirl

Bus number 26 will get you from Langelinie Pier to Kongens Nytorv where Nyhavn is located.

Ordinary Girl, are you coming to Copenhagen on a weekend, as we are? I don't think the 26 runs then, so hopefully not!

@ pappy3393

@ roothy123

In order to get from the freeport terminal to Kongens Nytorv you have to take any southbound S-train (direction: Hundige, Solrød Strand, Køge (my hometown btw.) Høje Taastrup, Ballerup and Frederikssund) to Nørreport where you change to the Metro and takes line M1 and M2 towards Vestamager and Lufthaven andf get off one stop later at Kongens Nytorv.

Thanks. If I fall asleep (jetlag kills me!) and wake up in Koge, I'll wave when I get off the train to cross over to the other track to go back!

Ordinary Girl, are you coming to Copenhagen on a weekend, as we are? I don't think the 26 runs then, so hopefully not!

I am very, very sorry - please disregard my question. Apparently the 26 DOES run close to Langelinie on weekends! I just looked it up on the movia.dk (public transportation) web site. It looks like it is about a 6 minute walk, 650 meters, to the bus. I was told on another thread that when cruise ships are in town, the Hop On Hop Off buses go by one or both docking locations. I don't know if this is true or not, but if so, that might be an option for you if you need less walking. I wouldn't think that you'd see everything in Copenhagen, given that a number of streets are pedestrian, but I'm just throwing it out in case you're interested. Also, there are boats that go around the harbor and down the canals (netto, and stromma.dk, plus cheap but limited city harbor "buses") that might be an option for seeing a number of sights, at least from the outside.

OK, now I'll go off and do some real work, and stop hijacking the Danish vking's wonderful thread!

Ah you figured out yourself :-D

The route splits up after Østerport with one going to Langelinie (indiakaj in the weekends) and one going to Færgehavn Nord where the Freeport is located and its this part that's not running in the weekend.

Btw its okay that you join the discussion because sometimes I think is more fruitful (can I say that) when other tourists are telling their experience with this lovely city.

Sankt Ansgar Kirke on Bredgade 64 is the place to go.

They have something called Messe on Saturdays at 17:00 and Sundays at 08:00.

There is a socalled Højmesse at sundays at 11:00 that has gregorian music the 2nd and 4rd sunday in the month.

Good afternoon,

I will be arriving in Frihavnen on a cruise this Saturday. I am looking for the cheapest way to get our group into the city, preferably near 'the little mermaid' to start our tour. Is there a train that we can take from our port into the city? thank you

Sankt Ansgar Kirke on Bredgade 64 is the place to go.

They have something called Messe on Saturdays at 17:00 and Sundays at 08:00.

There is a socalled Højmesse at sundays at 11:00 that has gregorian music the 2nd and 4rd sunday in the month.

Thank you so much! We depart this evening!!!

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows where would be the easiest place to purchase a copenhangen card when I arrive on 4th July on Caribbean Princess (Freeport - C245)? Booked cruise last minute so not sufficient time to order online before leaving.

Thanks, Gillian.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows where would be the easiest place to purchase a copenhangen card when I arrive on 4th July on Caribbean Princess (Freeport - C245)? Booked cruise last minute so not sufficient time to order online before leaving.

Thanks, Gillian.

You can get them from Copenhagen Right Now - Tourist Information at Vesterbrogade 4A (across from Tivoli's main entrance) 1620 Copenhagen V.

They are open 0900-2000 on July 4 th. This is off my voucher from "viator". Also can get them at terminal 3 at the airport. Don't know if there are other places.

I'm in Copenhagen at the moment. You can use visa for anything and everything including a tube of toothpaste and an ice cream cone at Tivoli.

Taxi drivers will take Euros at a low conversion rate. E.g. 20 Euros from port to city centre.

Only issue is that US banks are behind the the rest of world in issuing chip and pin cards. They are starting to be available. Try to get one.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen in August and I am curious about the comment on pin codes and chips for VISA card. We plan on using VISA cards but are confused about what is meant by pin and chip cards. Can anyone explain what this means and why it is important to have? I look forward to your reply.

Hello

We are in Copenhagen for the day and would like to see, Little Mermaid, Nyhavn and Amalienborg Palace. We are sailing into Langelinie Pier we think.

I am disabled so think doing it all by foot will be too much. Can I get a bus/shuttle to the furthest point and make my way back by foot or perhaps a bus to each? Any help would be appreciated. thank you :)

Can anyone help? :(..... please :)

Archived